Nice winter in N. FL today....went out for 1 hour drive

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Nice winter in N. FL today....went out for 1 hour drive
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:06 pm:

Sorry to those of you who choose to live in the snowy and icy parts of the world :-) and have your T's put away for winter time.

Took Nellie out today for a nice ride, had on long sleeves as in the wind of an open car, could get cool, it was only 68 F at noon.

You Tube clip---- 30 sec.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxs3BBaoCqM

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 03:12 pm:

Wow, She starts right up :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:39 pm:

I want to encourage all those new to the Model T hobby.
Watch Dan's video carefully. That is EXACTLY how a Model T should start, run, drive, shift and sound. Sometimes a Model T can be very frustrating to get just right, but with some patience and hard work your Model T can run just like when it was new too.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:57 pm:

Rained all day down here south of Tampa Don, so "Lizzie" spent the day in the garage. She's a rain ready "driver" but the Mrs. arm gets tired from leaning over to operate the wiper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:12 pm:

Dan,

I enjoyed this video as much as the others you posted! I subscribed to your feed the other day. Keep up the fantastic work.

It's raining here in my part of FL too- which is between Dan & Dennis...LOL

At least I started working on getting the shop cleaned up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:25 pm:

You're right, Ron. I've never heard a Model T sound better than that.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:30 pm:

Ron

You are just sounding off ! :-) But thanks for the kind comments....

Anyone can get a T to run good, just add the right parts in the right order!

OK, promise, this is my last YouTube posing on Nellie for now.....

Staring and Running 1923 Model T

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyj_cLEK3o

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:44 pm:

Dan -- I've watched all the videos and I think you're just having TOO MUCH fun! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 09:27 pm:

Dan T.
Don't make any promises we want you to break!
Drive safe, and Happy Holidays, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 10:07 pm:

Ron and Dan are right. A Model T which has been properly set up is easy to start. Here's my eight year old son showing how easy it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FojdrSmxkgQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 12:20 am:

Dan, Please don't stop posting your YouTube postings, unless it's to much trouble. You see Dan, all of us people who live in the frozen north can live vicariously through your clips. Otherwise we will all move there and the roads will become so crowded you won't be able to drive Nellie. :-) Of course I'm kidding but those are great clips. Most of the time when I watch Model T YouTube clips I helps me understand why people have clutch problems. You should keep it up if nothing more than to educate the public on how to properly drive a Model T. Thanks Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 09:48 am:

We lived in NH for 50+ years before moving to Naples Florida. While we didn't have any T's in NH we did collect vintage VW's and dreaded putting them into hiberbnation from November to May. After hurricane Wilma forced our move to the SC midlands and we started our affair with T's we found winter drives a very pleasant way of enjoying our T's. We have many, near deserted clay roads thru cotton fields within a mile from the house that really "take you back" while chugging along. We too love the You Tube clips Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 11:19 am:

Dan, what up? Is putting T's up for the winter a conception that you Southern types have? There's quite a few of us that are man enough to drive them in all weather, and don't just cherry pick 60+ deg. days.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 12:25 pm:

Kenny, how do you get all that white background in your pictures. Here in south central Texas, my background in all the pictures look like dry grass not that pretty white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 01:08 pm:

Willie, you just gotta have the correct photo software. :-) I was in Northeastern Texas last weekend and got to see leaves still on some trees and green grass in some areas. I took advantage of 60 deg. temps and the green grass on a local golf course. It was in the 30's when I left Dallas last Sunday.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:40 pm:

It's in the frigid mid 60's here in Rio Grande land. My husband sent me this email this morning:

98% of all American drivers, when losing control on icy roads and finding themselves spinning towards a ditch will yell, "OH, sh**"

The other 2 % are from Texas and Oklahoma, they will say, "Here, hold my beer and watch this."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 01:28 pm:

There's trees in Texas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 02:39 pm:

Good one, Dolo! Isn't that same quote translated loosely as "famous last words"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:07 pm:

Cold here, the car runs just fine but I don't run so good in the cold anymore, the roads are salted white anyhow, I don't need salt cooties eating my car to a lace of rust. Trick to starting the T in the cold, drain out the oil, put it on the back of the stove until it's hot, then pour it back into the engine before starting. I like the look of that cut off pickup, patina like that you can't fake or buy with cash money, takes years to get it right :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:04 pm:

Dolo, I thought they they said "Hey y'all, watch this".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 07:10 pm:

Eric, I'm not going to let my grandson get anywhere near that start-up video. He already thinks My Model T is his own private amusement park. He's only 4 but it looks like he's going to be a chip off the old block when it comes to cars and I "borrowed" my dad's brand new car and "rolled" it into a grape vineyard, when I was 14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 09:08 pm:

Dennis,

Your story reminded me of my Dad. He "borrowed" his mother's brand new Caddy for a date with a girl he was chasing and rolled it in a corn field coming home. He was a bit older 17 or 18. She made him work it off and buy her a new one.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 05:17 am:

Larry, I spent 4 summers (14 to 18) picking fruit and turning raisin trays in the central valley of Calif. (partially) paying for the damage. My (step) dad was a WW2 Army MP needless to say, things did not go smoothly for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:52 pm:

Dan,
In the second clip you posted, I could hear the same kind of noise from the transmission in low that I hear from mine, but I think mine is louder.
I have listened to other clips and to the cars running around Greenfield Village, and they do not sound like that. Is this noise an indication of wear in the transmission causing less than ideal tooth contact for the gears, and should this go away with new bushings and pins and the like?
Roar

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:10 pm:

Sounded pretty much like our 3 did.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:43 pm:

The gear noise is thought of as normal

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 09:07 pm:

Roar

Seems about right to me, one thing is all T trans are different. If you are comparing one of the T100's at Dearborn, no way. Those things had new transmission gears made with modern tooth form, the Ford engineers wouldn't make them with the 1909 technology straight cut gears we have in our T's.

Nellie is better than others I have done, the gears were mated forever, used the set in the transmission when I disassembled. The reverse is real quiet (well comparatively, that is) . :-) Ford planetary in reverse usually is unique in sounds, you don't need a back-up alarm going 'beep-beep' with the Ford :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roar Sand on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:02 pm:

Dan, Gary and kep,
Thank you for your response.
It gives me hope that the innards of my tranny may not be in all that bad a shape. Guess we'll find out next year when the plan is to get it all taken apart. I was worried that the noise was a bad omen.
As there is no way of knowing how many miles were put on her, it is hard to figure out what to expect. All I have gotten out of the equivalent of a DMV in Norway is, that she had four different registration plates before I bought it in 1957.
Roar

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration