Model T Powered Generator

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Model T Powered Generator
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:12 pm:

Figured y'all would like this. Note the conglomeration of parts- Early Hogshead, Generator mounting bracket etc.

I don't know much about this setup, I've had the pics about 10 years and I can't find the notebook from that era. (I always write down where photos came from etc.)

I have another treat in store for y'all similar to the Highland Park plant postcards I did last week, so check back later!

http://vintagefordfacts.blogspot.com/2010/12/model-t-powered-generator.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:18 pm:

Looks like about 14 Kw... enough to light my house!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 04:46 pm:

Our local picture theatre had a T generator under the stage, more than likely it's power supply in it's early days as a lot of towns in Australia took a long time to be hooked to a national grid.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:30 pm:

Far from e expert but i doubt a Model T engine has enough muckle to make 14K ?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:44 pm:

Kenneth
The conversion tables I used say 14 Kilowatts is 19.0347026422 horsepower.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 05:51 pm:

Well that's interesting now it says 18.766756032219998 horsepower?????
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:20 pm:

What RPM would the generator have to turn for 60 cycle power?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 06:22 pm:

Probably about 8kW given the efficiency of that equipment. And at what speed? If it is AC it would have to run at 1800 RPM or some multiple depending on the number of poles on the generator. If DC, any speed would work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:04 pm:

Ron,No tables here but my honda powered gen 7,000 surge 6500 continous has a 13 hp engine so it uses less than 10 of the available hp?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D , Williamsburg VA on Saturday, December 18, 2010 - 07:10 pm:

Ron,
Metric horsepower is exactly defined as 0.73549875 kW....so 20hp = 14.710kw

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 03:07 pm:

Looks like it would be about 13KW at 1800rpm...It should have few losses if direct coupled to a four pole AC generator (electrical losses only) assuming the engine were to produce 18 HP at 1800 rpm. (based on Ford data of 1922)

Sorry for the error.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration