1925 runabout 6 leaf rear springs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1925 runabout 6 leaf rear springs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 02:31 pm:

Encyclopedia quote: "REAR: Same as 1922 but 6-leaf spring added for the Runabouts"
My basketcase "'25" that I am attempting to resurrect is a mixture of parts from different years. The rear spring I have is eight leaves, and was wedged so tight in the frame I had to use a jack to pry it loose. Was the 6 leaf spring standard or just an option for the roadster? The stacked height of the 8 leaf is about 2-1/16" (without any pad).The channel depth is also 2-1/16". Langs lists an 8 leaf spring as "standard -- except for some 1923-1925 roadsters". So how to determine which roadsters? Would the 6 leaf equiped cars have a different frame spring channel depth, a spacer, a thicker pad, thicker spring leaves or what? Are 6 leaf prings available?
Seems each question begets another:-)
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 04:39 pm:

I only know one person that has a six leaf rear spring, but haven't seen it. I believe, with no proof, that the top two leafs were left off an eight leaf spring, since they don't list leafs for that spring. What has always puzzled me, if they offered such a spring, and they did, (it is in the 1925 parts books), they had to have a special spring clip bar to be used with it, because the bottom leaf would be up inside the rear cross member. Of course, a spacer block could be used, but would have to be welded in place, or screwed to the spring clip bar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 05:46 pm:

Thanks Larry. Perhaps a piece of channel short enough to fit up in the cross member, a spacer inside the channel, and the sides of the channel long enough to extend down past the sides of the standard spring clip. I also need to figure out how to open up the cross member a little so I can get the spring back in without using a jack to force it in!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:03 pm:

Robert, to spread your crossmember, try this. Get a good sized bolt, somewhere around 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter and 2 inches long that will just fit inside your crossmember. Screw a nut on it and then put it in the crossemember crossways. Using a couple of open end wrenches, unscrew the nut. That should jack the sides apart fairly easily. Just keep moving it around until everything is where it needs to be.Hope this helps. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E. (Bob) Blackbourn, Gautier, MS. on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 07:08 pm:

Dave, that's one of those ideas that makes one say "DUH, why didn't I think of that" :-)
Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, December 19, 2010 - 08:22 pm:

Anytime Robert. I've used that method on a lot of different things for years. I won't tell you how long it took me to think of it though!<g> Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration