KW SWITCH PLATE

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: KW SWITCH PLATE
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Mize on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 11:31 am:

Hi Guys,
I have and early KW igntion switch on my 13, triangular in shape. I am in the process of refinishing the plate. Is the plate to be all brass or is it supposed to have a black background with the letters in exposed brass? I just got the box with the original very early coils(flat top anodized brass) The repop switch plates shown in the catalogs have a black background, but I don't know if that's correct or not. Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to all.
Brent Mize
The Coil Doctor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 12:29 pm:

According to the drawings..."Letters & Border to be Raised and Have a Bright Finish"

The background was notated as "This surface to have frosted finish".

Since "etched and filled" was a common notation even in those days - it is my opinion that no black background was used since that would have been noted as "etched and filled" and indeed would have been more expensive. The plate only had a few superficial notch sizing changes on it from adoption in 4/12/13 and no changes at all from 12/31/13 until being altered from brass to stamped steel on 6/16/15. Thus you would have not really seen any easily visible change on the plates from inception until replaced by steel in June of '15. Remember that all dates I quote are design change dates and not on-the-car dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Mize on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 05:12 pm:

Thanks John.
I appreciate the response.
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:52 pm:

I have a NOS KW switch plate, as well as several used originals. As John mentioned, all the raised areas have a bright finish, and the background in natural (non polished) brass. The area in the circle around the KW is painted black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Mize on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 05:02 pm:

Thank You both for your help.
Brent

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration