Drivers Side Rustell Shifter-One Method

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Drivers Side Rustell Shifter-One Method
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:32 pm:

Here are the drivers side Ruxstell shifter photos I promised.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel - Cherry Valley IL on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:47 pm:

Ron,
Thanks for the pictures.
Is the shift lever in "direct" as in "not ruxtell" in the last picture?

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Martel - Cherry Valley IL on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:51 pm:

Ron, one more Q?

Is the hole in the floor board for the park brake and shifter longer than original?

Thanks again for taking the time to pull up your floorboards and take the pictures, I am trying to fab up just what you have, with the parts I have.

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:53 pm:

I did essentially the same thing on my car, except I drilled no extra holes into the frame.

Below is a link to the Montana 500 newsletter with an article on how I did it.

http://antiqueautoranch.com/montana500/May2005newsletter/may2005.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:56 pm:

Chuck
Because the linkage arm points upward the low/high & forward/back orientation of the lever is opposite that of the ball cap mounted shifter. I.E. low is forward and high backward.
The hole in the wood floorboard is wider.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Baker on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 04:05 pm:

Thanks Ron,

I have both the origional set up and the left hand shifter , I have a 1912 Touring in progress hope to be driving it next spring. With a right side mounted spare the left side shifter is more out of the way, and I am left handed . Are you happy with this shifter , it does make for a more open center floor .I could use either on this car, also a question, I do have a origional two piece drive shaft, what are the thoughts of the more experienced, the two piece looks more correct, any advantage to not use it, or is it OK to use the two piece drive shaft. I do not have a origional rear end for this car,its a expensive item to find, and this we are restoring to be a good tour car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:49 pm:

Advantage of left-side shifter is not having to let go of the steering wheel to back off the throttle !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 08:09 pm:

I have the Ruckstell shift on the left side of my 1919 Touring and really like the placement there. Below are two pictures of the left side mounting. The vertical shift rod can easily be removed, heated and bent, to accomodate the brake lever and also where it does not hit the seat when shifted rearward.
leftone
lefttwo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:44 pm:

Ron, I notice you have nuts on the backside of your radius rods. Was the shoulder introduced after your car was built? Next, to all you guys with lh shifters, that is fine for you, but I couldn't bear to drill holes in my frame for one. I use a stock Ruckstell shifter, and have no trouble shifting. Sometimes my right leg gets a little tired of leaning against the shift lever though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:12 pm:

Michael - What's that that's clamped to the frame just forward of the brake lever quadrant? Master cylinder for juice brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:59 pm:

Michael's top picture sure looks familiar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 08:09 pm:

Larry, my method calls for no holes to be drilled. I am with you on this. I can't abide drilling any extra holes into a T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 08:56 pm:

Harold, Those are pictures I collected on the forum when I was deciding whether to go with the left or the right lever system fot my newly acquired Ruckstell. Obviously the top picture must be from one of Royce's cars from his comment! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:50 pm:

Harold,
I will confess to the bottom photo in Michael's posting above. That is our '15 Runabout. The bracket you see is a front axle brace, the back of which is bolted to the frame. Here's a drawing of the shift lever...
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 01:49 pm:

Michael & Verne - Sorry about the late response but have been away from the forum for a couple days, doin' Santa Claus stuff, but thanks for the explanations and drawing and all. Really taking a hard look at all this because I'm considering moving my original type center mounted Ruckstell shift lever over to the left side. I guess I've decided that if my Ruckstell shift lever is in the right place, my right leg is in the wrong place. thanks again, and Merry Christmas all,....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration