Ford Watch Fob Dealer Souvenir

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Ford Watch Fob Dealer Souvenir
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 03:51 pm:

In October 1912 the Ford Times featured an article asking dealers to select from two styles of watch fob's they would prefer to provide to existing and prospective Model T owners and customers as a souvenir.
Here is a copy of that the article, the details are interesting read.
Apparently dealers responded to the home office and selected style No. 2 with the Calf Strap. Here is one I found many years ago for my collection.
The winged logo pendant is Hallmarked on the reverse "Weyming Bros. Mfg. Co. Detroit"
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 04:02 pm:

That's a nice item, is it baked enamel?

Wonder if it's not Weyhing instead of Weyming.

There's a Weyhing Mfg. still in Detroit that makes badges, emblems that sort of thing.

Here's an old Weyhing jewelry box.
http://www.suchanzeige.com/item-370432152027-ANTIQUE+JEWELRY+BOX+Wedding+fratern al+Weyhing+Bros.html

A cut from "The Book of Detroiters printed in 1914.

WEYHING George L manufacturing jeweler born Detroit Mar 30 1887 son of August and Margaret Meyers Weyhing educated in public schools Detroit Detroit Business University married Oct 31 1911 Arina Maxwell of Detroit Began active career in employ of WA Sturgeon jeweler then with Grainger Hannan Co associated with his brothers in business Jan 1910 since which time has been vice president Weyhing Bros Manufacturing Co Protestant Reere ation baseball Office 237 241 Woodward Ave Residence 713 Montclair Ave

WEYHING Robert It manufacturing jeweler born Detroit Sept 2 1877 son of August and Margaret Meyers Weyhing educated in Detroit public schools married Mar 15 1909 Clara E Jackson of Sarnia Ont 2 children Maude St Clair and Mary Ellen Learned jeweler's trade in the employ of Roehm & Son 1893 97 foreman Sigler Bros Cleveland O 1897 98 again with Roehm & Son 1898 1900 entered business with brother Burt T 1901 incorporated 1910 as Weyhing Bros Manufacturing Co of which is president President Detroit Jewelers Board of Trade since 1912 Member Detroit Board of Commerce Independent in politics Protestant Member BPO Elks Clubs Detroit Wheelman director Wolverine Automobile Recreations likes to experiment and to carry into execution his inventive ideas Office 237 241 Woodward Ave Residence 804 Field Ave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 04:25 pm:

Luke
I looked again with a Loupe and your right. It is Weyhing.
The Ford Times article explains "It (the pendant) is finished in the standard colors of Royal Blue and is plated in 14 Karat gold of Roman finish. The best French hard enamel is used on the face of the pendant and the high polish which is (sic) given the surface greatly adds to its appearance"
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 04:53 pm:

That is a really nice fob. (I wonder if it would look really nice on my Studebaker watch?)
Thank you both for posting pictures and information!
Happy Holidays, and drive safe, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 05:38 pm:

Ron

Have one too :-)
But mine's a repop. Think these are still mfg?

Got it back in the '70's I think. Like yours in size but with black enameling on brass, or maybe gold as it still is shiny after these years. But never on a fob or in the pocket, just hangs from the switch.

Got cautioned by switchmaster Ben Martin not to hang too much from the Model T key in the potmetal switch as you can add weight there and bust up the switch and tumblers he says.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Monday, December 20, 2010 - 06:57 pm:

Itís wonderful that this company is still in business after all of these years. I called them to see if they still have the "Ford Universal Car" badge available. I'd buy one if it is. I got a recording that said they're closed on Mondays. I'll try calling again tomorrow. I know it' a long shot but you never know.

I found an interesting article about the company. The article mentions Henry Ford.

Orlando

http://www.poam.net/main/journal/whats-badge.html

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration