*STOLEN CAR ALERT *-1911 EMF- PITSBURG,CA

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: *STOLEN CAR ALERT *-1911 EMF- PITSBURG,CA
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 02:24 am:

Hello Everyone- I just found out about this earlier today- please pass the word to your local club members and friends. This could happen to any one of us. A member of the local HCCA chapter had his truck and trailer stolen from in front of his home in Pitsburg,CA last night. Worst part is his restored 1911 EMF was in the trailer.

Please send this to all your old car friends and clubs so Don and Joyce can get their car back.

Here is Don's e-mail with the information:

Everything was at my home in Pittsburg. Police reports have been made.

The truck is a white Ford F250 1996 with a white camper shell. It is a 2-door cab and a half with a short bed. License Plate Calif #5M67546. Mileage is about 40,000. Very clean and loaded.

The enclosed trailer is a black color 16' x 8' x 7' with a rear door ramp, tandem axle, with the large HCCA decal on the top right corner of the rear door. License #4GV7121 and is California permanent trailer tag. Trailer has an electric winch mounted inside.

The EMF ia a 1911 5-passenger touring complete car black fenders and burgundy body, excellent brass with speedometer (Stewart & Clark 26). All brass have cloth covers. License # HC 4978. Engine # 22959.

Also in the pick-up are a pair of all brass Solar 1177 headlights for a 1911 Chalmers. There is CMC on the bonnet. Lights have burners and glass reflectors.
Please respond to me at"imnuts4fords(AT)comcast.net" Thanks. Feel free to forward to friends and other car clubs. Thanks.

Don & Joyce Azevedo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 07:57 am:

Bump.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:58 am:

I have seen this many times happening in the past few years. The actual car inside the trailer was stolen as a "specific request" by a lowlife collector in another country, or the thieves were after the truck or trailer or both. If they were after just the truck or trailer, they will leave the car someplace?(hopefully in the trailer) because it is too hot and rare to even try to sell. As far as the other, notify the ports and put up flyers, because the cars usually are in shipping containers and on a boat in a week or so after the theft. Also start scanning ebay and craigslist for any parts or related. Also notify/post on all the related car blogs you can think of about the theft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:24 am:

My wife said, but I have not confirmed, that the Ford F250 truck is the most stolen vehicle in the US. Mostly, they are used to pull off bigger heists, like pulling ATM's out of convenience stores or banks.

Not to lessen the severity of the crime, but they probably didn't even know there was a car in the trailer, since most likely the trailer wasn't what they were stealing.

I do hope you get both vehicles back....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:25 pm:

Dan do you have a photo of the car and/or the rig?

I'll post this on my site. Like this board I get readers from all parts of the world, and the more the story gets around, the better the chance for a recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:50 pm:

This fall the Minnesota Pioneer Historical Society (I think I have the name right) lost their trailer with all their traveling exhibits in it. It was parked in a memberís yard. Again I do not know if it was ever found.

A local friend lost his truck for six months. Chicago PD called and told him they were going to sell it as it had been in their impound lot for many months.

My recommendation to all who park trailers is to use a VERY good tongue lock and use a wheel boot. Good locks that are hard to cut are cheap insurance in the long run. I also think if the trailer does not move a lot it is important to park them in away to make it harder for a thief not use to the location to get at. One friend parks an extra car in front of his trailer. Another he pulls his 5th wheel into his driveway. Now he has to back it out, and he has a large retaining wall on one side. I can drive and backup almost anything and I would not want to move that thing out of his yard, for that reason I can never see that trailer being stolen. Me, I park my little trailer 99% of the time in my garage.

With all that brass I really hope they find the car in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan Jorgensen on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 01:00 pm:

Don is not just a member of HCCA, but he is also a Model T Club member as well.

Here is a photo of the car from the HCCA newsletter.
emf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 01:49 pm:

A great way to give you piece of mind regarding trailers is to hook a GPS security device, there are many available and well worth the investment. After a trailer is stolen, it can be quickly tracked and found.

http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PROD/GPS/TT1100

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 02:20 pm:

People will steal anything nowadays, and it is an absolute shame. That car is an absolute work of art. It would be one of two things - someone wanted that car, or it is just a couple of meatheads that saw an opportunity to steal a truck and trailer.....either way, I hope it all shows up safe and sound.

On a side note, - there was a truck and trailer go missing here when the driver stopped for a rest at a motel- in the trailer were two camels and a tiger being transported from Montreal to a zoo just East of Toronto. I wish i was there when the theives opened the trailer doors and a tiger was standing there looking at them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 02:54 pm:

I heard just this morning about a single mother with a tricked out Tahoe that was stolen last month. Now State Farm is suing her for fraud. A policeman friend told her to dump State Farm.

In this economy, who knows?

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:49 pm:

Make sure that local law enforcement also gets the information to railroad police. As a retired RR cop, I can't tell you how many times we used to recover stolen (borrowed???) utility trailers, cargo trailers, u-hauls, etc. on RR property. As suggested above, there's a very good chance that the trailer was "borrowed" for some low-life to do his moving from one dump to another over the holidays, and RR property is always a good place to "ditch" a trailer when the low-life is finished with it. Of course, the antique auto is the major part of the loss in this case, but then, one "recovery" could lead to the other,..........for what it's worth,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:50 pm:

Been a tough year. Don's dad passed away just a few months ago.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:51 pm:

After repairing many fires over the years I learned that insurance companys will often try to sue the owners or refuse to pay. Un fortunatly they have the green. My daughter had a fire in her apartment years ago. A gas furnace and gas hot water were installed in a closet without combustion air. I If had not known the code and took pictures before repair was started she would have been hooked for a 25 K repair. As it turned out with arbitration she recieved 25K but it still took a 10 k attourney to get the job done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 02:05 am:

This thread was duplicated, so I'm bumping the original to the top.

By the way, I have reported this theft to WSATI, (Western States Auto Theft Investigators). Don needs to reply to their email to get this reported officially. If anyone talks to him, let him know.
Thanks,
Bill Harris
Member of WSATI

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:42 am:

This is actually a lesson to all of us. I know of many collectors who leave their cars in their trailers year-round. Some do it, understandably, becasue that is the only place they have to keep it so it is not in the weather.

But if you are fortunate enough to have a shop, go the extra mile when you return from a tour or meet, take the time to unload the car into the shop, and unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle. You are less likely to loose all three if they are unhooked from each other and scattered about the establishment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:56 am:

a wheel clamp or two on the trailer is also a good investment

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 01:04 pm:

The wheel clamp doesn't always help. Had a friend whose trailer had boots locked on the wheels. The thieves took it away on a flatbed. Drag it on board, deal with the boots later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 09:21 pm:

Still no word on the car, truck or trailer- Please e-mail this thread to everyone on your e-mail list.
thanks, Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration