New 30x3 and 30x3 1/2 tyre mileage

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: New 30x3 and 30x3 1/2 tyre mileage
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 03:25 am:

What sort of mileage can one expect to get from a new black rubber 30x3 and 30x3 1/2 tyre?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable Kiama Australia on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 05:40 am:

How long is a piece of string?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:24 am:

True, depends on many factors...just looking for a ball park figure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Dupree on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 09:20 am:

The new Montgomerly Wards 30 x 3 1/2 on the rear of our '16 touring are about worn out at 5000 miles. The Excelsior's on our '24 touring have close to 7000 miles on them with tread left. If you look at the amount of tread on the ground, the Wards design has a lot less rubber on the road than most other tires.

Bottom line, you should be able to get at least 5000 miles, but probably less than 10,000.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 12:55 pm:

5,000 to 7,000 miles on most black tires made in the last 10 years or so.

Less than 5,000 miles on (recent) gray or white tires.

The condition of your wheels, your alignment, and your driving habits will make your mileage vary significantly from someone else, even with the same batch of tires. 1/4" of run-out on a front wheel can scrub the tread right off of the tire across from it in only a couple thousand miles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lloyd M. Sumerall - Athens, AL on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:54 pm:

I have the Universal T Drivers on the front of my touring. They have about 11,700 on them and still look fine. When I replaced the rear tires I put on the Universal straight rib tires. The reason I used the straight rib was because the side wall is smooth and much easier to keep clean and shiny than the T Drivers which have ribs that stick out. I think that proper alignment and inflation have a significant impact on how long the tires last. I keep my tires at 64 pounds. I have also tried to balance my front tires.

MIKE-AL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 05:07 pm:

Not too happy with the mileage on my new Wards tires/tyres. Roughly 3000 miles and very worn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John H on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:23 pm:

19,000km and my back tyres are now worn to the point they would fail a rego inspection. They are Vietnamese Universal T Drivers I bought eight years ago. The front tyres are still good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:43 pm:

On our trip to Alaska & the 2008 Centennial 11,500 miles I wore out 10 universal drivers. Only had one flat 5 miles from home.
al

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 08:19 pm:

5500 to 6500 miles will just about get the good out of any tire on the market. You've got to remember some folks will not change them until they can see the tube showing just under the threads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevin Gough on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 08:28 pm:

I am on my 6th year on a set of Universal T Drivers. I am a regular user of my T, and they are not quite half worn. I'm pretty happy with them and the way they are lasting.

Yes, the sidewalls are hard to clean, but otherwise, I would have another set.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 08:34 pm:

That's terrible mileage, Dean, but you're hauling a load.

The Uni T Drivers are profiled like motorcycle tires, so have very little rubber on the road for wear. They might be good on dirt roads. They have about a quarter less rubber on road than the Coker Commanders/Excelsiors I ran before and since. I bought a pair of the first VC made T Drivers for the 2000 Greatrace, because that was all that was available at the time - of any brand. I put them on the rear of the Speedster, and one got ugly breaks at 5500 miles, and the other was a goner at 6,000. I know I get about double that with the Cokers.

It's a tradeoff between long wear and traction. Ts with rear-only brakes need all the traction they can get. The ol' brass picup with 4-wheel brakes stops really, really good, so I'm not as concerned.

rdr

Coker on left.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration