Throttle Plate

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Throttle Plate
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Bell on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:36 pm:

I am having some carburateur issues and while having it off and moving the throttle linkage I noticed there is no movement of the throttle plate. Exactly how does it function and is it supposed to move as the throttle is increased?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 04:50 pm:

James,

What type of Carb?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 06:31 pm:

Are you moving the spark lever on the left of the steering column or looking at the choke butterfly or lever?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:01 pm:

Are you talking about the flapper inside a Kingston?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Bell on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 10:59 pm:

It is a Simmons and the carb is off the car. The throttle plate doesn't move when you move the throttle linkage on the carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Tuesday, December 21, 2010 - 11:40 pm:

James,

It sounds like the throttle lever is loose on the shaft. Does the shaft turn when you move the lever/linkage?

The Simmons and the Wizard are similar to the NH.
Something must be stuck and the plate and shaft is not moving when you move the lever/linkage.

You may need to tap the plate to move it and see if you can remove the plate from the shaft to replace.

The NH's have a staple the goes through the shaft and the plate to hold it on. I'm not sure about the Simmons.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tyrone thomas on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 09:14 am:

If a Simmons Straight Through, there is the lead swinging plate deep inside the carb. yes it has to swing free. If it does not you can take it out and clean up and the inside of the carb. NOTE, one side of this lead plate has a small knob of material on it. Note which way the knob is facing, inlet air side or outlet air side. The plate has to be put back or the carb does not work right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 09:18 am:

I think a picture would be worth a 1000 words on this one. I build a lot of Simmons carbs. If your moving the throttle shaft and niether the throttle plate or shaft is moving in the carb bore, then the lever is stripped where it's crimped to the shaft or the shaft is broken where it goes through the carb body. Simmons throttle plates go through the shaft like other carbs. Instead of the wire staple to hold then in the shaft, most used a screw or a snap in throttle plate with detents

The Simmons carbs have an extra flapper on the inside behind the choke plate that helps them idle. This flap opens up as the throttle is opened and air speed through the carb increases.

Is the flapper what your seeing?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Bell on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 09:41 am:

Kenny, that is the flapper I am seeing. Is it supposed to swing free or is it controlled by the throttle?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 01:38 pm:

The flapper is supposed to swing free. If I remember correctly, the flapper is pot metal and it swells and sticks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:26 am:

It should swing free. They are pot metal and do swell. There is a screw on the side of the carb body that has the shaft the flapper pivots on. If the flap won't move try to get it freed up. If the flapper has cracks or chunks missing from it, it needs replaced. Contact me off-line if you need help with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration