Need help on Winfield

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Need help on Winfield
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 07:29 pm:

I need a choke unit for this carb. It an SR S-1-A. The bore measures 1 1/4 inches and the ring that would hold the choke unit measures about 2 inches OD. Any suggestions on who might have such a unit would be appreciated. also need the levers for both the choke and the throttle.

I recently purchased this carb on e-bay from Austrailia. My first SR. So I have no experience with the diaphram. Any suggestions? It looks new, never used. I love Winfields, am running an early aluminum H on my Ames Speedster and an S on my Laurel. This one will go on my Center Door. Faster Speedsters, younger women, older wine.....

P1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 07:35 pm:

better whiskey.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 08:29 pm:

I run a SR-B downdraft on my Racer, Fred - it's a little finicky but goes like stink ! There is a fellow on ebay that is making new gasket kits and the SR kit has a new diaphram and spring - really a first class kit !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 10:28 pm:

Barry Bowyer in Santa Ana makes Winfield parts. I delivered a Stutz engine there and saw his place. Everything looked top notch. Maybe he could help. Let me know if you need the number.
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Adair on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 10:39 pm:

Fred, Thats the first SR carb I have ever seen, thanks for the picture. Hope to meet you some day, I'm just up the road in Chelsea.Good luck with your project, Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Wednesday, December 22, 2010 - 10:39 pm:

Fred, are you trying to compete with Humble Howard's centerdoor? It has a Winfield 5V, etc.

You might try it without the choke first. The 5H on my Fronty doesn't seem to care much whether it's choked; it still takes several revs to fire up when cold.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:40 am:

Here's my set-up Fred - before the new kit from Barry - no more leaks now !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:27 pm:

Steve,Where did you get intake? Will it work with an updraft?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 08:45 pm:

Here is some info I stored away for Winfield rebuild kits.
I(not me) have been pleased with the SR Winfield carburetor kits that I obtain from Barry Bowyer, so I wrote an article for the "spinout" to share my feelings. Barry's kits include all the gaskets, ( 6 flange gaskets, 1 1/4" through 2'' ) plus two adjustment springs, pump diaphragm and diaphragm spring.

He sells his kit for $ 35 plus shipping costs. I have a few extra kits, if you are close to me and in a hurry.

Barry's phone is 714-745-7444 and is located in CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:40 pm:

It's an original Winfield aluminium intake I picked up years ago at a swap meet while collecting pieces to put my Racer together. It is for a Model A so it was made for updraft configuration - the BB Rajo has the same center to center port dimensions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:44 pm:

Fred - what's the numbers on the body and the bowl ? Can't make them out in the photo. Either unit having a D is downdraft or a U for updraft. Both units should have the same letters - AU or AD or BBU or BBD and so on, if it's a matched Winfield.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Houston on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

Just talked to Barry Bowyer and will be receiving a Carb kit from him. He didn't know where to get a choke for my carb, thought perhaps Dan Eubanks.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration