DADT repeal.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: DADT repeal.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 06:07 am:

The carb has started leaking. This was rebuilt ages ago and has a sealed cork float, which has swollen and rubs the side. Is there a brass float for the Holly carbs? I tried cutting the offending bit of cork off, but it keeps swelling. The car is going away soon, and I'd really like it not dripping gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:15 am:

What model Holley. The NH has a brass float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:28 am:

I'll check, it is in the barn. This is definitely cork. Squishy, squishy cork.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:48 am:

I have a Holley G on my '14 and bought a float made of that space age materal. Works great.
About 25 yrs ago, one of the club mags talked about a Brigg Stratton brass float that would work in the Holley G and gave the part no. Did anyone try that float?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:51 am:

The smart guys will chime in here soon Chris and set everything straight. What year car are we talking about?
I could be wrong about this but I think the 10% Ethanol fuel has an effect on the cork floats as well.
Sticking floats are dangerous. Especially in conjunction with a fuel tank valve that doesn't seal right. When I first brought my car home, it had a sticking float valve and a worn out tank valve I didn't know about. It emptied the tank on the garage floor overnight. I was lucky, I've got an electric water heater and there was only a couple gallons in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:55 am:

Cork floats were coated with shellac. Alcohol is the liquifier for shellac.

You might get by with something like QwikPoly if you need to keep cork.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G. Tillstrom on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 11:55 am:

I once heard that the fuel proof dope used by the model airplane guys is usable on cork and effective against alcohol attack. I have no experience with it, just repeating what I've heard.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 12:13 pm:

I've used nail polish and gas tank sealer with success on old outboard motors. It's probably best to thin it before application, 'cause it gets heavy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 09:23 pm:

One of the guys in the local old engine club needed a float for the Kingston carburator in his 1917 Avery tractor.
He made one out of balsa wood and I think he coated it with Kwik Poly.
I'm pretty sure it worked for him.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 11:35 pm:

You have several options you may consider.

Yes, model airplane dope will seal the cork float (let it dry out well). See: http://www.hcca.org/tech.php?2 Don’t put too thick of a coat of dope as it will tend to be too heavy.

Check to see if Lang’s or your favorite vendor already has a metal or new style float for the type of carb you have See: http://www.modeltford.com/pl.aspx?t=s&v=float&page=1

Purchase the new type float material from Lang’s –see: http://www.modeltford.com/item/6201SLUG.aspx a little expensive for a single float but since it is 3 inches tall you should be able to make three and possible four floats from it.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Olsen on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 07:22 am:

Holly "G" I'll order the new material one. Thanks!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Patrick Martin, Branch/Lafayette, LA on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 07:48 am:

Would a new one made of pine or balsa be effective?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration