1913 Canadian cars

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1913 Canadian cars
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:59 am:

Did the 1913 Canadian cars have the same body weakless issues as the USA made cars or did they use a different design? Were the brass lights and radiators also made in Canada? If yes, are they marked "Made in Canada"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 08:29 am:

1913 Canadian Fords used all brass "Classco" lamps, which were marked Made in Canada. The 1913 Canadian bodies were very much the same as US built Fords except that the Canadian cars had a functional door on the L/H front. I expect they had identical issues with weakness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ray Green on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 10:13 am:

I was told that I had been quoted on here today so while checking what was said I saw this thread, Royce you are talking a load of BS about the lamps, we have Juno Brown and E&J lamps all brass and the same but steel body with brass trim on our 1913 cars from the factory as well as Classco steel body with brass trim and I have never seen a all brass Classco on any 1913 car out here and I stand to be corrected as I have seen many of them. The E&J are USA made and so are my Juno Browns which where on my car from new. The bodies had the same problems as the US ones as they where shipped from Detroit to start the factory as my body is a Pontiac body as I have been informed on this forum with the support plates to stop it breaking and I have seen others out here with the plates as well.

For Constantine, the radiators where made in Canada but did not have the words made in Canada but had.. two different build plates pressed into them, the first was ... The Ford Motor Co. of Canada Ltd. Walkerville Ontario No. xxxxx
and On my car it has The Ford Motor CO of Canada Ltd. NO xxxxx FORD ONT, the ford Ont is for the town and not the company which is where Ford had his Brass factory, it is now a suburb of Walkerville, as my build plate is from the town Ford Ont. also Which I can produce Photos to back up if there is any doubt in what I say. Most of the 1913/14 radiators have the big top tank fitted and are known as the colonial radiator here which really did not work anyway....Also I am not back but only checking what I was quoted as said..... Ray

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 12:29 pm:

Ray,

This is a 1914 black and brass Classco from my collection. I don't have any pics of the 1913 version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 04:08 pm:

I have never seen an original 1913/14 in Australia with Classco lights. All of the surviving original cars that I have seen in Australia all have E&J or Jno Brown lights.

We do know Classco lights and know that they are only a rebadged E&J. I have seen odd later lights, an extremely rare full matching set over here was on my father's 1917 Ford; I never seen another full set even as late as this in Adelaide to this day.

I am not saying that Classco lights were not fitted in 1913, but the statement that all Canadian Fords had them is not correct. Based on the surviving original cars it appears that Classco certainly never found their way on export cars to Australia during this period. From surviving lamps (all steel round type) they arrived much later and even then in extremely few numbers. After a 10 year search we still never matched the damaged one on dad's car after it was accidentally ran over.

Radiators were made in Canada as Ray correctly points out above and many have the extended top tank. The 1913 "square door" body had the same faults and the US one and went through a similar evolutionary process of reinforcements. Hope it helps...Dave C

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 04:46 pm:

My friend's 1913 touring has Classco lamps on at least the headlamps. The brass chimneys are simply marked with a rather small Ford logo and nothing else. (If I recall correctly because my friend's car is not with me at this moment which would be awkward because I'm in my office, at work.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Thursday, December 23, 2010 - 07:23 pm:

Checking the Canadian Parts List for 1st August 1914 lists only E&J, Brown, Victor & Corcoran headlights, sidelights & tail light for 1913/14.
Clealry Classco lights were not fitted to every Canadian assembled car. Dave C.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration