What Santa needs to bring.........

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: What Santa needs to bring.........
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 01:53 pm:

..gosh by golly or holly :-) , sure do need Santa soon.

Just only used a few gallons in Nellie, and then filled the tank to about 8 gallons. Thought I smelled a little fuel on the way home.

Oh Oh.

Now this is the original tank in Nellie, sure was slick inside, no rust, baffles good, thought it would still keep going.

"Hurry Santa,,, Hurry Fast"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 02:31 pm:

If everything else is good on the tank, maybe just a little solder on that seam would would leave Santa to bring you something funner.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 03:21 pm:

"Seems" like there is a problem here...

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 03:31 pm:

Perfect place for a bit of gas tank sealer from you local Autozone or other supply place.

A little wire brushing and application of gooey gunk and the seam will hold for another 90 years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

Very funny Keith....Geting heat near a tank makes me nervy. I would be tempted to seal it as above or with JB from the outside after a good clean and prep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 04:17 pm:

If you decide to use solder be sure to use a heavy copper iron. DON'T try to do it with a torch.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr. on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

You musta filled it too full. :-) I bet you can fix that with a big ol' gob of JB Weld. Happy T'ing and Merry Christmas. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 05:34 pm:

Second look and what I thought was the 'bottom' of the tank at the fill is really the baffle plate folded down. I can move it with the dip stick.

As for an old tank redo, solder, or JB or whatever.....nope.

I hardly like the thought of sitting on top of 10 gallons of gas anyway...with a leaky tank that is questionable, and my poor solder skills.

New tank on order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 05:57 pm:

Where is Hugh Jass when you need him ???

Itís a bit hard to tell from the photo, but if the problem
is weld porosity or similar then perhaps one of the
Loctite products will seal it. Many of their lower viscosity
products will fill in porosity with a capillary action.
If itís an electrolytic or other corrosion problem where the
weld or metal has been badly weakened, it could seal some
holes while opening others.
Itís amazing stuff for porous castings.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 06:06 pm:

Art

You hit the nail on the head.

That tank dates to 1923, that's 88 years.

Long useful life, but time to get recycled :-)

Gasoline belongs in a fine container prior to having it pulled into the cylinders and burnt.

On the topic of burning.....here is another new toy being tested tonight for Christmas eve dinner. Propane powered infrared cooker, roasts the bird without hot oil like my other cooker, yum yum in an hour from now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 07:03 pm:

I would fix the tank. I have soldering coppers, several sizes. I have used them to fix tanks before. How much would shipping be?
Happy Holidays, and drive carefully, W2

P.S. A good reason to carry a bar of common hand soap. If it is dried out, allow it to soak in a little water first, rub it hard onto/into a leaking seam or pin-hole. It will stop a gasoline leak for hours. Probably for days. Maybe for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 09:40 pm:

Dan,

That's an interesting cooker, be sure to post the results! I like my turkeys to be deep fried, but being a Southern boy, I like everything fried. Okra, chicken gizzards, catfish, etc etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 09:49 pm:

You can get replacements for the round and oval tanks. That might be your best direction.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 11:18 pm:

Luke

The results are in....pretty tasty!

Now I have deep fried these birds in peanut oil, this is the first non-oil. Perhaps a bit on the drier side, not bad....but I need more practice and think a shorter cook time...

but my belly is full and I am thankful this Christmas Eve, family and friends abound.

Cheers!

Dan

the bourbon is for the egg nog toddy before retiring with visions of sugar plums and Model T parts bounce in my head :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 03:34 am:

Make sure you have a well trained "Santa".
R. Lee Ermy would be proud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zbk2SXpN8U
(4 letter words, not child safe)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:55 am:

Dan,

Is there an email link to the cooker source?
The wife doesn't want a fryer but is interested in this one.

Thanks and enjoy the day.
Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 12:06 pm:

Larry,

Google "Char-Broil The Big Easy" and you should find what you need.

Merry Christmas to all!

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 12:32 pm:

Seth,

Thanks and Merry Christmas and a happy healthy 2011 to all!

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 01:07 pm:

Thanks for the input Dan! I shall check into buying one of these.

Good taste on the Maker's Mark. I'm a Maker's Mark "Ambassador" which has all kinds of perks.

Hope you have a great Christmas!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 02:03 pm:

They can be brazed back together, just fill it with water first. When you are done brazing, empty the water.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 08:10 pm:

I tried peanut oil Turkey cooking a few years back.
The stains in the driveway and burn marks on my arms are a reminder that it was a dumb idea.
The turkey tasted great!

The next year I used the setup (without the peanut oil) to boil lobsters and we were a lot happier.

Now I use the pot to heat and clean parts from various projects and lobsters on the 4th of July.

PS Don't mention the part cleaning to my wife!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 08:50 pm:

Also be sure it stays filled. I was brazing one but the water kept leaking. Fire will shoot out of the holes and if too much water leaks it could probably explode. Then I bought another off ebay because more and more holes appeared. Then it was filled with a mouse nest of fiberglass insulation. It must not itch then. Took forever to get the insulation and dead mice out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:43 am:

My son-in-law does the turkey in the Weber Kettle. Delicious every year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:14 pm:

Now when we drift - here is what I did Christmas eve with a piece of US (low-end) technology:

Roast pork - traditional danish chistmas dish - combined with either duck or goose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:00 pm:

The pig beats any bird, any day in my book!

Pork loin, marinated overnight in red balsamic vinegar then smoked on a Cookin' Cajun for two hours over charcoal with water-soaked pecan wood for that perfect light smoke taste = YUMMY!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 04:37 am:

Gentleman , try this : tape an air nozzle wide open , set the regulator to 35lbs. or so and put it INSIDE the filler hole of the tank . The airflow will keep the gas/air mixture too weak to burn , much less explode . A friend , Robin Miller , taught me this trick in about 1981 . I had a 1966 V.W. Bug tank that was rusty , and leaked like a sieve . Pulled the tank , drained it into several gas cans , bead blasted the bottom , used the above trick , and BRAISED UP 17 pinholes . No drama , no leaks !! Painted the tank , and had the Bug on the road in 2 hours . Never leaked again . I`ve used this trick many times since . Wet tanks don`t scare me with this method .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Drew Cook on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 05:12 am:

Another remedy for leaking fuel tanks is to clean and paint the area with fingernail polish enamel. Have done this with a leaking motorcycle tank.Chris.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 05:03 pm:

WOW, I am getting hungry reading this. Can't argue with the new tank idea. Safety first regarding gas tanks.

Now, if only they made a manifold cooker big enough for a holliday bird.......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Watson on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:46 pm:

More $$$ for a cruise to the Bahamas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:38 am:

My father sometime back needed a leaky tank fixed. He brought it in to have it welded. The guy started up a big diesel truck and piped the exhaust into the tank. He waited a few minutes and then he welded the tank. The diesel exhaust eliminated any combustion air for a fire/explosion

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration