Movies with model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Movies with model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash - South Hill, Virginia on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 04:28 pm:

There have been threads in the past about movies with model Ts - here is another: CHIEFS which was a miniseries or similar maybe 20 years ago. I have the VHS tape and was watching it today. Many Ts of different models. Anybody here let them use your T for that movie?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 05:13 pm:

I remember that mini-series. It was pretty good, as I recall.

A lot of the guys from a couple of the local clubs I belong to were once in the habit of renting their cars out to movie companies, but on many occasions, the cars were returned in abused condition. The issue was brought up at one of the monthly meetings and we came to the conclusion that the movie companies weren't going to touch any of our cars, again.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 05:20 pm:

The only time any of my cars were caught on TV was when I had a cameo role driving my Model A thru a flooded road while the news media was filming the flood as a result of a typical FL tropical storm.

It wasn't my intent to end up on TV, I was just trying to get home after a long day at the mines.

The bad thing is I didn't get a chance to record the footage. I was on my way to Peru, Indiana when the segment aired the next day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 06:11 pm:

I had a cameo shot I never got to see, but was told about by about a dozen different people. About 1974, I drove my speedster from San Jose up to San Francisco to go to a New Years Eve party at a fantastic club that featured Turk Murphy with his "San Francisco style" jazz band. The streets of San Francisco on New Years Eve are about like the streets of New York on New Years Eve. While tying to drive through the crowds, following friends in a model A sedan and 1925 Cadillac, a "pedestrian" stepped into the street in front of me when a bank of lights above his shoulders came on into my eyes. I stared straight ahead and squinted, trying to miss all the crowds around me (of course, I was only driving "parade speed"). Two days later I was greeted by T club members in a hardware store and told about being on the TV News the next (previous) day.
How about some more tails of "captured on the News". Maybe we should start a new thread? Maybe after New Years this year when so many aren't tied up away from on-line.
Happy Holidays, and drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 06:39 pm:

Several of us had our cars in the NBC mini-series "A Will of Their Own" that was filmed in St. Louis and St. Charles. It was a package deal, though, they got the car and the driver together, so no one drove the car except the owner. We were paid for the car rental and were also costumed and paid as extras. There was an interesting caste system on the set. The vehicle manager insisted that his drivers eat with the crew and not with the extras. Less crowding and we were fed faster.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0149441/

c

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 07:19 pm:

"An American Christmas Carol" has a 1920? wood cab TT truck.
You can see this on youtube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 08:14 pm:

"Chiefs" was a great mini-series with a lot of great cars. However the version that's available is edited. A scene with Wayne Rogers and a man playing FDR was cut to reduce the running time for home video.

I personally knew a gent with a 1915 touring who was in it (car since sold, I have pictures of it) and his son had an all original Pierce Arrow Touring that he found in a barn, and never restored it. (pictures of that one, too).

I've known several people with T's in movies. Most of the time, the owners drive them.

I was a railroad conductor in a movie called "Secrets" with Veronica Hammel. It was a white-tired, 1916 touring that the transportation captain (whom I spoke with), told the producer was a 1910 since the story was set then. Ms Hammel actually drove that car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Stitt- Oregon on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 08:24 pm:

I grew up loving movies before 1940. Took a film class. The amount of films now lost is unmeasurable. It is a wonderful glimpse of our past.
Too bad. always loved the cars and the sets. Now that I have a model T I want to see them again. Not lost but seldom shown as lacking in interest. What a shame. How many Fords did the Hal Roach studios own, and destroyed? What once was common place now sets in a vault.
I wish TCM would show more from that era.
Does anybody show Laurel and Hardy or the Little Rascals anymore? No because it is perceived that the younger generation won't watch? I will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Friday, December 24, 2010 - 11:03 pm:

Red Baysinger of the Long Beach T club had his T in "Titanic." The ship they used was the wrong way on the dock, so they reversed the film, and that made Red's T into the proper RHD.

Loco Larry maintained a small fleet of Ts in New Orleans for "The amazing story of J... Button."

"The Changeling" had some Ts.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harris on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 12:23 am:

We just finished a film a few months ago. Unfortunately, the movie companies frown upon information leaks prior to the official release of a film. Many Model T Fords were used. The film won't be out until 2012. That's all I'll say for now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 02:38 am:

If you want to see Model Ts in a modern movie, see the 'Changeling'. There are about a dozen, indeed John Genise drove his, dressed as the Chief of Police and had Angela Jolie as passenger. Interestingly, the direct, Clint Eastwood, did most of the editing digoritally and only needed one good shot. My coupe was in several scenes, but the best was in the credits where it appeared twice....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:05 am:

Paper Moon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:09 am:

Don't forget the Model T tire skidding in "It Happened One Night" with Colbert and Gable. Classic T scenes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 03:24 pm:

In 1992 the movie King of the Hill was filmed in St. Louis. The movie was set in 1933 St. Louis.
It was about a young man who had to make do while his dad was looking for a job during the depression.
I was asked to have my 1918 Model TT hucksters truck as a background vehicle in the movie. I fenigled (Is that spelled right?)my way into being an extra.
It was a fun experience, my two sons were an extra and a stand-in, and I got to have my picture taken with Karen Allen!
It's a good movie. If you get a chance to see it, do so.
I think I landed on the cutting room floor.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 05:17 pm:

The Internet Movie Car Database is a really good source for finding what cars where used in movies. Here's the link for Model T's used in film.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicles.php?make=Ford&model=Model+T&modelMatch=1&modelIncl Model=on

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lewis R. Rash - South Hill, Virginia on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 11:19 pm:

That's neat thanks for the link..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:38 am:

One thing that being in "A Will of Their Own" did for me was make me much more aware of background when I'm watching a movie. Now I give half my attention to the main action, and the other half to what's happening elsewhere in the scene.

By the way, in the Dutch film "Karakter" ("Character"), that won the best foreign language film Oscar 11 or 12 years ago, there was one scene that took place in 1923 or 1924 that included a '26-'27 T Touring. I think I was the only one in the theatre who noticed... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 12:01 pm:

Extremely (in Denmark) all time popular TV-Serie "Matador" (Tycoon) followed an entrepreneur arriving to small town "Korsbęk" in 1929 ending up in 1948 as being the leading business person in the city.
During the first 4 episodes covering the years 1929 to 1931, my car is seen driving in some of the shoots in the streets - mostly as just a blue shadow driving pass in front of the camera.
Then the 5th episode (1932) the opening scene is my car bringing one of the main caracters back to her home from the train station.
You can see it here on the Danish Radio/TV's archive site - Bonanza - and the scene starts 2:10 into the clip, after the oral introduction (in danish :-):
http://www.dr.dk/bonanza/search.htm?needle=matador&type=all&limit=120&assetId=40 273

Even though you probably can't understand what they say - enjoy the quality work done by the crew in recreating the right exteriors, clothing and everything.

Have fun!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 01:01 pm:

OK am I the only 50 something that has not yet brought up the Most Famous pair of movies ever made with a Model T as the star? Still stumped, there was that famous Hollywood actor Fred something in them.......Last year they cam out on DVD and in B&W!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 01:43 pm:

Well - one of the newer films with a co-stor role for a Model T is Pixar/Disneys "Cars" - but I gues that doesn't realy count?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:23 pm:

Well your close, both I'm talking about are Disney movies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:29 pm:

Flubber and Son of Flubber?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:37 pm:

Youre thinking of this one

flubber
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:46 pm:

Has anyone ever made a movie out of the book, "Tin Lizzie Brigade?" The setting was WWI.

Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 03:52 pm:

There were two 1915 model T cars in the Absent Minded Professor. One had no engine and was used for flying and the hamster-in-a-wheel engine scene. The other one is in a friend's garage in Grass Valley. His father, Don Jennings, owned the car at the time of filming and taught Fred McMurray to drive it for the film. Don also wrote the book "Three Pedals Down Main Street".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Perigo on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 04:01 pm:

Tin Lizzie Troop - my bad!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 05:23 pm:

Mike,

There's the 1977 movie "The Charge of the Model Ts"

From Rotten Tomatoes:

In this comic tale set during World War I, the Germans are looking for a way to infiltrate the United States with their latest secret weapon: the RX4 attack vehicle. When they enlist the aid of Mexican guerillas positioned along the Texas border, it's up to an Army lieutenant (John David Carson) and his fleet of Model T's to stop them. The supporting cast includes Louis Nye, Herb Edelman and Arte Johnson

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 06:44 pm:

"The Tin Lizzie Troop" had been optioned by the late Paul Newman to be made into a film. Sadly, it never was.

"Charge of the Model T's", other than shots of really nice T's, is sad and completely unfunny. I own a copy of it, and seen it maybe three times. The RX4 is also known as the Hannibal Twin Eight, of "The Great Race" fame. "The Great Race" also has at least two T's in it, which is impossible, since there were none in existence during the time that movie was supposed to be set. So, I don't really count it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 06:52 pm:

Will:
I still have your copy of Charge of the Model T's..... waiting for the popcorn to "pop" ??? Enjoy the snow..... 12-18" by morning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 06:54 pm:

Gotta love "It Happened One Night" ......... Claudette's gams could stop a Mack truck !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:38 pm:

Bob how true and in B&W!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:54 pm:

Does anybody have a copy of "Excuse my Dust" (1951) starring Red Skelton? From what I understand there is late 1911 similar to mine in the movie.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:50 pm:

I saw it in a theater in 1951, but I don't have a copy of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:09 pm:

There was at least four movies that our local Houston car club was involved in.
My 1910 Mother-in-Law roadster was show in a Kenny Rogers movie "Gambler V" which was done in 1995. My car was shown driving into a heard of Texas longhorn steers with me waving and hollering in an attempt to clear the road. The car radiator still has a ding where one of the steers horn hit the radiator. Then as a follow-up, "Vintage Ford" did an article on the car with me and the car shown on the front cover.
This was the July/August 1995 edition. The car made more money than I did as an extra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard near Pgh, PA on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 01:54 pm:

This is the book cover for Excuse My Dust

emd
Howard

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard "Will" Revaz on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 06:56 pm:

About 15 years ago, "Killer", starring James Woods, was filmed at the Cheshire, CT prison. Several CT car clubs were invited to participate and my 1915 Roadster was used in two scenes. The first was the warden, Steve Forrest, arriving at the main gate and second, me driving down the access road as a stand-in for Steve. He couldn't get the knack of the LOW pedal, so the crew just pushed my "T" into the camera's field of view and "dubbed' in the engine sound later. My 15 seconds of "fame" got me $100 a day for hanging around waiting for a filming call. Several other "Ts" and mid-teens era cars were used as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:10 pm:

Michael, being of French and Swedish decent, but only an English speaker, the movie was wonderful. I can't understand too much. The T was great,and I only wish I had learned my ancestral language!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:16 am:

What is the name of the movie in which a model T falls apart just as the occupants are getting ready to drive off? I think its a Laurell and Hardy flick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 01:51 pm:

Here you go Michael, it's called "The Stolen Jools."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hz8A16PDWkg
The car falls apart at about the 3:00 mark. Good movie, lots of cameos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:08 am:

Thanks Robert,
That's the clip that I have been looking for.
I take it that the actors were top stars of the period. I only knew who a few were. They should have included "Laurel and Hardy's Model T" in the cast credits.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 11:39 am:

I'm amazed no one has yet mentioned the Rocketeer where Bruce McCalley appears in his '23 Touring as Howard Hughes delivers Cliff Secord's new GeeBee.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 12:12 pm:

Many, many Laurel & Hardy films. Someone mentioned the skid scene in "It happened one night". Are you sure it's a T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 12:18 pm:

Tom,

I need to watch "The Rocketeer". In all the years it's been out I have never seen it.

On a side note- I once built a rubber powered model Gee Bee. Darn thing never did fly very good.

At an airshow years ago I saw a replica Gee Bee being put thru it's aerobatic paces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Bohlen on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 12:38 pm:

Charlie,

It's a "26-27 touring.
Great close up of I believe Alan Hale Sr. standing up on the brake and reverse pedals while pulling the brake lever back. The funny part is all the fancier cars that pasted Gable by and this is the first one to stop for Claudette's gams.

Larry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 01:20 pm:

Larry, it's just like the Vanderbuilt Cup cars; faster, louder and under braked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller - Mostly in Dearborn, MI on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:27 pm:

Luke, If you watch it, make sure you get the widescreen version. They cropped the heck out of the TV-sized one and you don't get to see much of the T.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration