Unknown T Tranny

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Unknown T Tranny
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Byron Hight on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 04:41 am:

Acquired a tranny that's been scabbed into a T drive-line and appears to be a 3 sp with a possible overdrive. Word trickled down about it being a Metro tranny. Looking at a Metro manual, I don't think so. The conversion was done in the L.A. area along with Metro hyd. brakes. I'm curious if anybody in the forum might know of this adaption, or what the tranny might be. The gears look great, and there's no reason it should not work, but it would be nice to know what it is.T Tranny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 09:00 am:

Byron, my guess is someone did not know how to use only the overdrive and so the 3sp was kept in direct and not really used. Just a Big overdrive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Bell on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 09:17 am:

I had a 53 ford that had one like that in it. There was an older friend that installed one of them in his car. You can't move the car in reverse with over drive on. You have to use the reverse on the auxillary trans it seems to me that the T one would lock up because the overdrive was not made to rotate backwards.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 09:28 am:

My bet is that it is a Ford 3-speed with overdrive like you'd find in a '55 Thunderbird.

The overdrive has a sprag clutch in it so the car can be shifted by simply closing the throttle.

No de-clutching required once you move off from a stop in a '55 T-bird with the overdrive engaged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, December 25, 2010 - 10:37 am:

I have one just like it in my garage. It's either Stude or Nash Rambler. Should be an R-10B. I have parts for both, and they may be the same anyhow. Some Studebakers have an extra switch to automatically disengage the OD for backing up. Either way, it's a non-problem.

The cut off OD cable leads me to believe it was removed from a parted car, and may possibly not have been used since it was converted.

First thing you gotta' have with that is wheel brakes. Without wheel brakes, it's a killer.

Yes, either part is a great modification for a good T, but both together are overkill, and too heavy to please me. If I were to use mine, I would probably remove the jackshaft and extra gears from the tranny and just use it in direct. It might be tempting to keep second to bridge the big gap from Ford low to Ford direct, but that complicates the operation, and almost demands an evil foot feed.

I run a solo R-10G-1 from a '50s Mopar in the ol' brass picup, and 10/40 diffy. I have it wired as original, with the governor in circuit. I drive it as a T until above 28 mph, then close the throttle quickly, which engages OD. Mine is a 10:7 OD, and Rambler should be the same.

On decel, the OD disengages at 28mph, leaving it in freewheeling, direct. The operation is simple and slick, with no gear grinding possible, as the OD is a planetary too.

I have also used a switch for engage in place of the governor, but it takes more attention, and "detracts from the Model T experience."

Parts are plentiful for the Stude/Rambler OD. The local Stude shop has several complete units, and I have spares. I have scoured the country for the governor driven gear for the Mopar OD, which is different from the others. I'm running a Stude/Rambler driven gear now, but it's wearing out due to different tooth angle. GM is different, too. I bought a Ford governor and gear from Erik Barrett recently. If anybody needs it...

If you want the B-W Ohaul and service manuals in pdf, Byron, pls contact me offline.

rdr

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration