Camshaft Thrust Washer Kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Camshaft Thrust Washer Kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Mittrucker on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:15 pm:

How do you install a camshaft thrust washer kit on a reground camshaft. The instructions supplied are very unclear.

Thanks,
Stephen

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Barrett on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 02:38 pm:

You shouldn't really need a thrust washer kit if your cam has the correct bearings in good condition. In particular, if an earlier, pre '25 or so I think, cam is fitted with a later style front bearing, the end play will be tremendous and the cam will make all sorts of noise. The thrust washer kit is a good solution for correcting the problem without taking the engine apart completely. A band-aid, so to speak, but one that works. I have used them on a few occasions. It would be better to make sure your cam and bearings are properly fitted when you build your engine. The washer kit is fairly simple, consisting of a brass thrust washer and one or two steel ones, which are nothing more than the same ones used to set the transmission drum end play. These are all installed in front of the cam gear and will bear on the timing cover. It will require some fiddling around to get the proper clearance. I set them up so the cam has barely perceptible play with no timing cover gasket in place. Hope this helps. Happy new year to all!
Erik

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 08:41 am:

Gary,
When an original cam is reground, the heel on the front lobe disappears. Without that heel, the thrust developed by the timing gears will push the cam forward and it will then chew at the back of the front bearing. Hence you will need the thrust kit.
I have just fitted one to an engine I am rebuilding and found one of the steel thrust washers was bent. It was as hard as flint and broke in two as I tried to straighten it. As indicated, the steel washers are the same as the spacer washers in the trans, so I was able to replace it. You will need to have on hand the means to reduce the thickness of the bronze washer as they are generous in thickness to allow you to arrive at the correct thickness. Minimal end float,without the gasket is the aim and then the gasket will give you back a little clearance.

Allan from down under

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR. on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:29 am:

Gary -- The washer(s) go in front of the timing gear and rub against the timing gear cover as a thrust face.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration