Photo ice auto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Photo ice auto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 03:30 pm:

This might be fun , but don't lean back!

http://cgi.ebay.com/early-1900s-photo-Ice-Auto-/260621690761?pt=Art_Photo_Images &hash=item3cae436789

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:02 pm:

Herb-
Here is another one

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/mags/ModernMechanix/12-1929/model_t_iceboat.jpg

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:09 pm:

This one is strictly work...

http://www.mainememory.net/bin/Detail?ln=26516

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 01:01 pm:

I Have found over 100 Patent drawings of snow travel attachments for car and trucks that covers 1900 to 1930 and you would not believe some of there Ideas. will scan some if your interested. Here are a couple of factory drawings from the early 30's. Don't know if these were ever built.

Bob

application/pdf
5TH WHEEL BUS ASSEMBLY.PDF (144.7 k)
application/pdf
BUS ASSEMBLY.PDF (124.3 k)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 10:18 pm:

Here is a picture of Charles Lindbergh's ice boat, "after a wreck" (the prop appears to be broken). The photograph was taken in 1922 and is from one of Charles Lindbergh's photo albums which currently reside at the Minnesota Historical Society.

Lindbergh grew up in Little Falls, Minnesota so I presume the photo was taken on a nearby lake. Lindbergh had been attending the University of Wisconsin, Madison but dropped out in February 1922. My thoughts are that the photo may have been taken during Christmas break, probably in January 1922.

lindbergh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lance Sorenson on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 12:47 am:

This was my uncle Ole Hansons machine, of Gonvick, Minnesota. I can't find the information on the motor right now, but I know it wasn't a Model T. My older brothers remember riding in it. One time they broke a prop when they hit a stump hidden under the snow. No problem, he just carved another.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:00 pm:

Here are a few pictures of another ice craft. It was built by a local mechanic, race car driver, and dare devil (Bo Amos). He also built and raced a number of Model T speedsters. At some point I would like to send in an article about him to the MTFCA. I would hate to have been driving this when that prop broke.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:59 am:

I like the "motor in the front" versions better because it can be used as a foot warmer.
I just hope the chain didn't come off.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:17 am:

Check out the aerodynamic gas tank.
Also look at the simple brake mechanism.
I wonder if there was no clutch and the car was just idled down and the brakes were applie to "park" the car?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 01:57 pm:

Fred, I wondered about that chain myself. At least it never came off when he was driving it, as he lived into his nineties with both legs. If you look close at the pictures: the first pic looks like a revision of the old sled, has a heavier propeller, itís driven from a different location. The front runners have a reinforcement bar, looks like it was painted white or a light color. Also with the different drive position, the aero-gas tank is missing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:01 pm:

Scary! It's worse, COLD and SCARY. Things can go terribly bad so quickly.
/image{coyote}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:02 pm:

Ooops
/image{coyote}

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:04 pm:

Well hell, you get the picture, so to speak ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald = Federa Way, Wa. on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:09 pm:

Hears one more. Earl Frank and crew about 1926,Spring Valley Mn.
Bob

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration