How and why we shot Santa (it was an accident)

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: How and why we shot Santa (it was an accident)
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:18 pm:

It's a tangled tale. but I will try to make it short and sweet.

In early November I ordered a life-sized inflatable Santa on a John Deere tractor. Circumstances kept us from getting it actually put in place until Christmas Eve. These included my daughter losing all her keys, her car, being legally registered to her brother is a Nissan and anyone who owns one can feel safe because getting a replacement key is troublesome. After my son got here, we were issued a valet key to unlock the car and the steering wheel. It was then towed to the dealer so they could program the key to the car.

I had handed over my car to her in the meanwhile and was driving the '63 Thunderbird. We knew that the fuel gauge had recently quit working, but on the first day I drove it to town for shopping, I learned I had a gas leak. This knowledge came suddenly to me when I took it to a gas station for a refill and $50 worth of gas began to drip onto the ground. I took it home and parked it until it could be repaired at a later date.

Our son and his family arrived for the holidays on Dec. 19. My husband came home that day with a huge package of fireworks, and a tingle went through my spine. I clearly saw Santa going up in flames. "You will be careful that those things don't blow back over the house and cars, won't you, especially the Santa?" My husband was offended that I had questioned his abilities and his sense of caution.

Fast forward to Christmas Eve and Santa was finally sitting in place atop his John Deere. But we were soon distracted by a major scare.
Our daughter-in-law did not get back after a short run into town for that last minute gift. Our unease was multiplied by the facts that she had left her cell phone behind with all our numbers programmed in, she is known to have a poor sense of direction, and very little knowledge of the countryside. Again, long story short, she finally arrived home, white and shaking, but safe. Meanwhile, we had launched our own manhunt and Rick had been calling hospitals and law enforcement.

Dinner was several hours late, but we were so glad to be safely together that the warmed over food tasted like gourmet fare to us. Gift opening followed, and the day was turning into the best ever....then the fireworks were to be set off.

Our driveway runs north and south and there is a parking pad a single car deep and four cars wide just to the left at the end of it. It was full with our cars. The drive ends at the cattle guard and beyond that is the pasture. We set up with us spectators sitting behind the cars, facing south into the pasture and the fireworks to be set off from the space beside the cattle guard into the pasture. Our son was in charge of the mortars and our grandson was allowed to light the smaller fountains and strobes.

About halfway through our stash of fireworks, something went seriously wrong. Our grandson had just lit a fountain, but it just sat there. It made a puffing sound and then fell over backwards. The first ball of fire came out towards us and we jumped up from our chairs and ran towards the house as it sent out the second and third bursts in short order. The second fireball went over the cars and ricocheted off of a brick planter. The third fireball went under the T-bird mentioned previously. The second fireball hit something with a soft thud as it's sister flared into a bright white light extending from front to back on the underside of our gas leaker. Just as suddenly, it was over, I walked to the back of my Caddy, two cars away from the Bird. Then I heard the gentle hissing of air, the Santa, as you will have guessed had been hit. I just laid my head on the trunk of may car, cradled my head in my arms and laughed hysterically. We went inside without inspecting either casualty. We were done with the fireworks.

We had a wonderful Christmas, I hope you did too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:24 pm:

That is almost like Chevy Chase Christmas Vacation! It could have been worse if the T bird had exploded!
Happy New Year!
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 08:35 pm:

I hope you have less excitement next year! :-)

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 10:03 pm:

Dolo:

You guys were very fortunate, WOW.

Now, regarding New Years. Are you planing anything
special and if so where ?

new years

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M. C. Hawker on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:46 pm:

So you can be safely ten states away, Harvey?

Tony

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 26, 2010 - 11:50 pm:

"If this is your idea o' Christmas, I gotta be here for new Years!" (The limo driver in "Die Hard").
Thank you, I needed the chuckle.
P.S. I am grateful the car did not go up in flames. I have seen several of those up close and personal (none were mine).
Happy New year! And drive carefully, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:10 am:

Wow,what a mess!
My 61 tbird is happy that it's younger brother is still around to fly another day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 03:27 pm:

My husband wishes me to assure all of you that there was no alcohol involved.

I don't think there will be New Year's fireworks, we plan on being safely tucked in bed for a good night's sleep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 03:42 pm:

Thanks Mack, for the info about Ford fuel lines, I hope it is rubber and NOT a gas tank replacement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:18 pm:

Now I know why Santa didn't drop off the 50 inch flat screen TV at my house.

as for the alcohol comment -
MY reply - YA RIGHT!
I've been to those Texas parties and have seen what no alcohol really means.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:50 am:

Speaking of Texas, a friend sent me this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt7FDTpzGvo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:31 pm:

Dick, loved the video. It could be me, but I've never been known to carry. I just can't find a purse that will hold my glock and still look good. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 08:09 pm:

Man, ya gotta love those Texas women! Combining firepower with fashion sense! :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration