Question for Bruce regarding the Forum changeover to 2011

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Question for Bruce regarding the Forum changeover to 2011
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:18 am:

Bruce. When do you plan on changing over from the 2010 Forum to 2011?

When you do, is there anyway you can tranfer the last week of postings, prior to the changeover, to 2011 so that those last few posting won't be stuck in limbo between 2010 and 2011?

Last year, during the changeover from 2009 to 2010, there were several questions that were posted that were never answered because the changeover occurred right after they were posted and when 2009 was closed and locked, the questions posted in just prior to the changeover could not be answered. Thank you for all you do and Happy new Year. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce McCalley on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:48 am:

The change will probably bemade after the first of the year. Transferring 2010 files would be a reat chore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 10:10 am:

Jim,

The threads aren't "stuck in limbo" or "closed and locked". The threads from past years can be brought into the new year's forum via links. Though I can't do it, it's done all the time.

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 10:30 am:

Do we have to change?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 10:32 am:

Right. Read the thread in the old forum, link to it, then post the link with your answer in the new forum. Not perfectly seamless, but very easy.

Bruce, would you mind posting a notification in the old forum (this one) when you are going to make the changeover? I don't come into the forum through the main page, but directly from a bookmark in my browser. That means I get taken to a forum that is closed. Took me a day or so to figure that out a year ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 10:40 am:

The year's threads have been archived and a new one started at the beginning of the new year for several years now. The reason given, believable to me, is due to space.

Using the search function provided makes things very easy.

If I can navigate this forum, anyone can. Complaining about how it works sounds like laziness to me. :-)

Happy New Year,

Seth

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:00 am:

I'm not complaining, not am I lazy. Just asking. This forum grows with new members by the day and many do not know of the changeover, or why they might not get answers to their questions, that were posted on 12/30/10. We only began starting over each new year, last year while prior to last year, forums lasted several years.

I thought my idea of asking only one week of questions to be carried over was a reasonable question that would benefit many, but as usual, there are those that like to critiucize legitimate ideas just for the sake of criticizing.

Bruce said it can't be done so that is good enough for me. Happy New year and Semper Fi. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:03 am:

oops...should read, "nor am I lazy". If I weren't so lazy, perhaps I would proof read my postings. :-). Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:05 am:

Jim, I didn't see anything that looked like a complaint either, but de perceptionibus non est disputandum... :-)

An early Happy New Year to you, too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth Harbuck - Shreveport, LA on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:33 am:

Until those new "many" that need all the benefits learn to use the toolbar at the top of the page, they can always click on the "Start New Thread" button at the top of the page and ask their questions.

Many "veterans" do it all the time so the newbies should have no problem doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 11:54 am:

Seth. Let's all make a New Year's resolution in 2011 to try and be less critical and get along this coming year and give a helping hand to those "many" that come onto the forum for the first time, having no idea what to expect or how to navigate. To say that the "many" newbies should be able to figure it out for themselves is somewhat callous and inconsiderate when a few helpful words and suggestions from us veterans could be all they need to avoid confusion and frustration. We can't assume that that they will all be as smart and forum saavy as you. You might want to give some thought to being a little less critical of those that share your interest and assess ideas as to whether they are legitimate complaints or sincere efforts to help. Some of your criticisms and "complaints" really are unnecessary, inappropriate and out of place and the forum might be better off without them, as they only serve to instigate unnecessary disagreements. Happy New Year. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indy on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 12:57 pm:

There are some threads that should probably stay in the past year.

Here's at least two ways to continue a threads conversation. There are probably other ways also.

1. Right click on a prior years title and then click on "copy shortcut.

2. Open a prior years posting right click on the page and then click on "select all" then right click on the blued area then click on copy.

For the next step for both options, you would need to go to the current years Forum and click on the "start new thread" button, title it the same as the prior years thread and maybe add "continued" to the end of the title. Then right click on the new page and select "paste". You should be able to continue with the conversation. Here are both examples below. 1st one is just the link. The second area is the text.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/118701.html?1262316698

Babbit bushing in starter mounting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2009: Babbit bushing in starter mounting
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Carey H Crosby on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:54 pm:
Question about babbit bushing in starter mounting bracket that holds steady the bendix when its engaged with flywheel. Mine has .005 " clearance. My starter locked up bad last fall. What do you use to replace this bushing?
Tinkering Tips Vol.11 says a Model A piston pin bushing will work , any experience with this?
What else?

By Ron Patterson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 08:50 pm:
Carey
The area of the starter mounting bracket where the Bendix drive stop nut runs can be repaired.

I have the name of a fellow who does this for me a can do it for you. Contact me at modeltcoils@windstream.net.
Ron the Coilman

By Ron Patterson on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 09:00 pm:
Carey
You are also welcome to give ma a call tomorrow and we can discuss. I rebuild Model T starters every day of the week.
Ron the Coilman
859-881-1677

By Jerry Hansen on Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 11:31 pm:
I use the Model A wrist pin bushing, it is a repair you can do without shipping and waiting if you need it right away. You do need the tools (reamers) to do it correctly. Never had a problem with any I have installed

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:
Password:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 02:38 pm:

Hello Bruce

Can you give of us a heads-up when the change / transfer will be implemented ?

Thanks
Harvey .....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 03:23 pm:

Thanks for the thread, Jim. This will be my first year change-over, so it's good to know what happens. If I can't link, which is entirely probable given my lack of user ability, I will just re-introduce the subject in a new thread.

It's been a great year and I'm glad to have found this forum. As mentioned in another thread, my many thanks to Bruce McCalley and others who give time to keep this forum running.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 05:54 pm:

That Dick, always using Dutch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Oder on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:04 pm:

Here is a some info I typed up for another forum - might come in handy for those that "can't link".
Not the only way to do it but works for me.

Do you know how to copy and paste on your computer?

With ebay (or other page) open, go to top of screen and you will see an address line. Every page you ever opened on your computer while on the internet has a unique address line.

Left mouse click on that line and it will turn blue.

Right mouse click and a box will open. One of the choices in that box will be "copy". Click on that.

The address line is copied to your computer.

In the post you are typing on this forum, just left click where you want the link to appear. Right click and the little box will open again. This time, click on paste.

The link to the Ebay page (or any other) will be in your post. You will know if you did it right by it being blue when you preview or submit what you are typing. "Blue" links are "live" links.

J.O.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls,WI on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:06 pm:

Steve

Is that Dutch or Latin?

Verstehen Sie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:18 pm:

Looks close enough to Spanish for me to bet on Latin.LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:42 pm:

My second-year Latin teacher used to tell me that Latin would be useful all my life, so I try to validate her opinion from time to time.

The original line is "De gustibus non est disputandum," which means that you can't argue about tastes, i.e. taste is purely subjective. In this case, I changed it to "You can't argue about perceptions," since Seth perceived a complaint where Jim and I (and apparently others) didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 07:59 pm:

Ergo, ipso facto Columbo Oreo!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 08:10 pm:

Illegitimati non carborundum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 08:15 pm:

ad infinitum

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 08:28 pm:

Et tu Brutus?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:01 pm:

Cogito, ergo sue me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:45 pm:

Steve, has to be a lawyer's version.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Monday, December 27, 2010 - 09:53 pm:

verstehen sie, looks to be German, unless it is latin

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration