Timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Pullella on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:36 am:

Which is better roller or brush type

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:56 am:

Depends on the oil, brakes and anti-freeze that are used. HAHA.

Actually this is a similar question to what make automobile is best or which political party. It has been hashed so many times on here. Try searching for timer and you can spend hours reading all of the opinions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:00 am:

Joe,

It's a matter of opinion, and you're apt to find many opinionated folks very shortly.:-) There is yet a third type to consider, as well. The "Flapper" type, like the Anderson. I've never counted up the responses. but I would bet the Anderson would probably get the most votes. I'm no timer expert but I am sure they all have their advantaes and disadvantages. By most accounts, the roller style need frequent lubrication to perform reliably, but at least one member here uses a liberal amount of grease inside his and says he can go for a year with no additional attention. The reproduction New Day (Brush type) have a reputation for being made of soft plastic that wears much quicker than the metal contacts inside. Although many report good service from the older original New Days. The Andersons have a good reputation for longevity with little maintenance. I am running one on my TT. After two years, I started noticing that the spark lever would advance itself when I shut the engine off. It was due to the engine rocking back and the flapper catching the prongs inside the timer shell and rotating it backwards. I found wear on the flapper and a significant burr. Being the cheapskate I am, I smoothed it up on my grinder and put it back in, reset the timing, and have had no more trouble. I will admit that I hadn't cleaned it and re-lubed it at the one year interval most people recommend. Time had just gotten away from me. I found the box it came in and looked at the post mark. I was thinking it was only a year old, but it was really two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:06 am:

Anderson brush type. (I've also seen them labeled as ANCO or Tel-A-Friend or Ad-Vr-Ti-Zr). I've run both kinds and found the Ford roller to need periodic attention but the Anderson just runs and runs with no trouble

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:07 am:

Hal hit it on the head and you should retard the spark with any timer before stopping the engine! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Pullella on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:20 am:

Thanks for the advice this is my first T i specialize in the muscle car era which seems easy compared to the T this car is the most fun i have had in years of driving.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:37 am:

Joe,

Hope the bug bites. Looks like it has. Our latest acquisition (Wife's '18 Touring) came from a muscle car guy that the bug just didn't bite good enough. He kept it for a few months, but went back to muscle cars. I was disappointed he didn't keep up the interest, but was glad to have the opportunity to purchase the car. My first was a '22 TT. I have gotten used to life in the slow lane. As you seemed to have found out, you don't have to go fast to have a good time. Good luck with it. They are a blast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Pullella on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:53 am:

Thanks Hal im hooked hard on these cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Pullella on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:58 am:

Thanks Hal im hooked hard on these cars

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:39 pm:

The best timer is the one which makes contact for each cylinder at the same point on the stroke. If you are running on magneto, that is not quite as important as when you are running on battery because the surge comes from the magneto at precicely the same point for each. With the battery, the surge comes when the brush or roller makes first contact.

Use whatever you like. For the ones currently on the market, the Anderson seems to be the best, at least has less trouble.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:08 am:

Here is an article which explains in detail why the timer should not have inter-cylinder contact differences AND the engine front plate must be concentric with the end of the camshaft.
Model T Spark Timing-by Murray Fahnestock
Ron the Coilman

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration