1914 hood hinge rods

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: 1914 hood hinge rods
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:06 pm:

What is the length of the center hood rod for 1914? I think mine is too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:19 pm:

Mine is 22 and 1/2 inches.

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 07:33 pm:

OK Thanks. Mine is 23 3/8, 7/8 too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:31 pm:

The best way to double check is use a level and level up the dash and then level the radiator, then measure the distance between the radiator and the dash

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:47 pm:

Mine is about 22 inches. The rod goes in the hood former quite a ways. Like I said on the other message, If the dash and radiator is square with one another, the hood should fit and when the hood fits, the rod will have to be the correct length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:53 pm:

Upon further examination- The rod was way too long before, before I redid my front crossmember, put the correct radiator pads, leveled the radiator etc. I have my hood apart so I took the rod out and it fits perfectly from the saddle on the radiator to the dashboard wood. I'll just cut me a stainless one tomorrow at work. If I have problems then I can always cut it off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 08:57 pm:

That seems like a lot of difference, wish it were light, it's hard to see out where the car is. My hood is terrible, but it's getting painted because I can't afford a new one or even a decent one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 09:58 pm:

Corey;
Does your hood fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:10 pm:

It fits a lot better. I need to mess with it some. Before it didn't fit at all. Somebody for some reason on one front side cut out a triangle part, about an inch on the bottom to the brake line. On the driver side toward the front the aluminum roll is missing and the steel wire inside is attached by wire. I need to get out there, put some tape on my hood former to protect the paint and do some fitting. Haven't messed with it in a while, but seems like it fit fairly well after lining things up. I went out and looked again, the rod fits perfectly. On one end there is about a 1/2 inch flat portion, not quite an 1/8" deep. Wonder if originals had that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CoreyWalker, Brownsboro, Texas on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:45 pm:

Was just looking through my records, May 1, 1993 at the Pate Swap Meet I paid $25 for the hood. I just paid the same for a pair of handles last week.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration