Any experts out there on spotlights?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Any experts out there on spotlights?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David G. Ramsey on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:05 pm:

I have a 1921 Touring that was in my family a long time, then sold, and 25 years later I bought it back. The former owner added a Kilborn-Sauer spotlight to the right side. I was wondering what spotlight brands were correct for Model T's and were they generally placed on the driver's side? Anyone know any history of this particular spotlight? It has a small mirror on the back side. This is my first post on the forum. Comments appriciated.
Kilborn-Sauer Spotlight1921 Touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:30 pm:

David

Welcome....that's a great touring you have.
I like your running board spare.

As for spot lights, these are perhaps the most common of all Model T accessories. Many brands were made, any type that would fit the windshield styles on the T's were used. The mirror type more expensive but nice.

As for placement, most go on the drivers side. Lots of reasons other than easy to reach and tilt for 'spotting'. The mirror type were for the drivers side for rear viewing.

Now the real use for these lamps on the T is because the headlamps, esp on the magneto cars was so dim, when high beam you might see OK, but with low beam when an oncoming car was approaching, the driver lost his way. So many had these lamps on the windshield, pointing over the hood. That way the beam shined off the the side of the road, whereby you could see that you were not running off the road as an oncoming car approached.

So these are also called "Ditch Lights", so named so you could see the shoulder of the road and stay out of the ditch :-)

Here is another style, called the reel light. It has a recoil cord, you could remove the ditch light and use it as a handy lamp for under chassis or under hood at night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David G. Ramsey on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 10:51 pm:

Thanks Dan for the comments and photos. Very interesting they are also called Ditch Lights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:39 pm:

David, Nice car! Welcome to the forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, December 28, 2010 - 11:45 pm:

David

Your welcome.

I had heard the term 'ditch light' from my dad.

And here is some record of aiming the spot light at the ditch......this is from FordOwner 1924.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:32 am:

Nice car! And welcome. You have a real treasure there. Take good care of it, and enjoy it.
Spotlights are great accessories. How else could you tell your car from all the others on a big tour. Seriously, there were hundreds of different makes and models of spotlights. They were sold for use on any car. Most of them could be used on either side of the car, sometimes by flipping the bracket. A few of them would work properly on only one side. Ones with rear-view mirrors are extra nice.
Another common use for spotlights, is to read the moto-meter at night. Blimey, I have done that.
Happy New Year! And drive carefully, W2

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration