Out with the old..

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Out with the old..
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 12:16 pm:

removed the old gas tank from Nellie. Bad top seam leak, and busted baffle.

Some task, 88 year old cotter pins, castle nuts located on top of the frame under the tank, ugh. Plus cold concrete garage floor to lay on.

Got the straps off easy. Ready to put on the new tank when the Brown Truck arrives.

Yea, I knew Nellie used to be a Touring car, but why did the gas tank have to know what type car it was going into ? !

And there were lots more rattles from the tank. I knew the main baffle plate was broken loose, it was on its side as a false bottom giving me bad level readings too.....but looking in there was more to the rattles....

There on the bottom too, after putting away that baffle plate was an original gas cap. Worn down top ridge allowed it to fall in years ago....some bits of the zinc ridge in there too. No way to get it back out thru the hole as its still the size of the opening.

And backward threading is out of the question, unless there was someone inside the tank to turn the cap back out. :-) That cap will stay with its tank into the dump...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton, Tennessee, USA on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 12:27 pm:

Is this a common marking on the side of a tank? Wondering if i should stencil it onto mine (which also entered the world as a touring).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 01:00 pm:

Dan;
I thought you werre in Florida. The concrete floor shouldn't be cold. LOL It was in the low 20's this morning.
Richard of Homosassa

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 02:08 pm:

If you are going to destroy the tank anyhow,jab a hole in it and reach in and get the gas cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:23 am:

Dan,

I wonder if the gas tank was labeled to help the workers easily know the chassis was for a touring instead of a roadster? I think the only visible difference between the bare touring and roadster/runabout was the runabout chassis had a 6 leaf front spring starting in 1923 rather than the previous and still used on other vehicles 7 leaf front spring (ref: http://mtfca.com/encyclo/S-T.htm#spring see 1923). Since they made the change in 1923 I would suspect that to avoid a few bodies being put on the wrong chassis “one solution” was to have someone on the assembly line “designated” to look at the front spring and stencil TOUR on the appropriate tanks.

If some other 1923-1925 touring owners (also roadsters) could check the sides of their gas tank we may be able to find out if it was used for more than your car. Many times Ford tried something and then changed to something else in a few days or months. Other times he continued a practice for several years (like the color of the car etc.)

That’s just a thought – hopefully others can confirm or correct that.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 Model T Ford touring cut off and made into a pickup truck and l907 Model S Runabout. Sumter SC.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration