Another thread about tires....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Another thread about tires....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 05:40 pm:

Is there anything wrong with the $65 Lucas tires for those of us on a budget?
Anyone have specific experience with them?

http://www.lucasclassictires.com/MODELTpage111510.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 05:47 pm:

BTW, My wheels are wood, demountables, 4.4/4.5x21.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Jeffrey Cole on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:11 pm:

I would say go for them.You can upgrade later if you see the need.But what I read sometimes tends to make me think the cost doesnt allways mean better quality or longer lasting.They are all made overseas nowadays unless something changed recently

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:28 pm:

I talked to Lucas today.......if you want to avoid an 8.5% increase in price effective next monday.....better act quick! Up to Friday morning, they will still take orders at today's price.
Good luck and I have no connection with Lucas, just passing on what was told to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 07:57 pm:

Thanks Les!
I'll give them a call and see if I can place an order and pay for them, then pick up in a few weeks.

They are about 50 miles from me. Even at $3.25 a gallon, I'm sure I can save over having them shipped.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Saltsgaver on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:48 pm:

Wow, I think I'll call them tomorrow also. I hope the patterns are like the ones in the picture, as they match the ones on my car.

I was just wondering how safe my spare tire is. It's an old Riverside that's hard as a rock. I think I'll order a couple & hang that old hard one up on the wall.

Springfield is over 6 hours from me, so local pickup isn't an option.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 09:56 pm:

My coupe spare is a Firestone tire I bought used but nearly new in 1960. Its mate I discarded about three years ago but the carcass was still live.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:24 pm:

Before you buy a Lucas- call Universal directly, their 4.50 x 21 tires are $65 as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 10:44 pm:

James, The Lucas tires are 4.40/4.50x21 which are correct good looking Model T tires. The Universal tires are 4.50/4.75x21 which do fit a Model T, but really are much wider looking than they should be. I've had a couple customers buy the over-sized 4.50/4.75x21's and they have been happy with them, but the tires just have too wide of a look on a Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 - 11:42 pm:

"too wide" as in too tall or a wider tread pattern?

I can't imagine more rubber on the road would be a bad thing other than for appearances sake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By curtis billups on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 01:20 am:

i bought 4 tires and tubes over 2 years ago. no problems what so ever with the tires. a valve stem came off one tube. i call Lucas, they were very nice, no questions sent me a new tube no charge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Von Nordheim on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 02:00 am:

While talking to Lucas, I asked about problems with cracking which is a concern to all of us. Was told that they did have a cracking problem approx. 4 yrs. ago. They said the rubber compounds were changed to add greater UV protection. Was told Lucas has not had cracking problems sence changes in the rubber compounds were made.
I specifically asked about the Wards Riverside, 30 x 3 and 30 x 3-1/2 clincher tires. The price before Jan. 1 is $120.00 ea. This is the lowest priced tire in that size which Lucas has at this time. This is what I was told....don't kill the messenger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brian clark-Hamilton, Ohio on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:01 pm:

Okay...1 last question.

Wood wheels, demountable rims.

Flaps or no flaps?
>I'm leaning toward flaps to protect the tire while I'm installing it. This will be my first attempt at putting on tires since I was 15 and swapping out the ones on my Schwinn. :-)

Tubes, rubber or metal stem?
>I noticed some places have rubber for wood, metal for wire and some have metal available for both?

I'll be buying 3, 2 for the front wheels and 1 for a spare. The rear tires are in good shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:11 pm:

My Universals got mounted on the T today and look just fine. There is some tread that extends to the edge of the tire, as opposed to the old smooth edge- but I don't see what the "fatness" of these tires is about. They are good tires and have a nice contact surface with the road. If someone is used to the 30 x3's then these would indeed look wider- but they are nice. $65 is s good deal in my humble opinion.

Happy New Year!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:23 pm:

Here are the Universals for $65.

Universal Tires

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration