Photo: inside an early parts store

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Photo: inside an early parts store
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:46 am:

This one is probably from around the thirties, but still interesting.
If you use the zoom feature on the enlarged parts of the photo you get a pretty good look at what is on the shelves.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Card-Photo-AUTO-PARTS-STORE-INSIDE-early-20th-c-/40008447837 9?pt=Art_Photo_Images&hash=item5d26e4a9ab

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:35 pm:

The demise of the ‘real’ parts man –
Or where are they now??
(Certainly not at the local ‘Big Box’ auto store)

Me - Could I see a pair of the shortest shock absorbers you have please?
Parts guy - Make, Model, Year, Engine Size, Number of Wheel Studs and Vin . . .
Me - They are for my trailer
Parts guy – can’t help you
Me – Are all your shocks in the same place?
Parts guy – Yup
Me – Can I go back there with you?
Parts guy – Nope
Me – Do the shortest shocks come in the shortest boxes?
Parts guy – Yup
Me – Bring me two of the shortest boxes on the shelf
Parts guy – But but - - -oh OK but
A few minutes later . . .
Me – Just right, I’ll take them.

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:56 pm:

The last photo looks like a whole rack filled with Permatex products. Wonder what's in the big gallon sized cans?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff V on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:28 pm:

I had the opposite experience at my favorite local parts store. I had a guy work with my for half an hour to find exactly the right shocks for my 1955 vintage boat trailer. Also, along the same lines as Art's post, this exact conversation took place during another visit:

I walk in holding a spark plug from my T
COUNTER GUY: "Looks like you're working on something old, like a tractor or a Model T"
ME: "Model T, that's right, I need four more like this"
COUNTER GUY looking at the customer behind me with a bent up piece of fuel line in his hand "That's old too, looks like a marine engine, I'ld say an old Greymarine"
OTHER CUSTOMER: "Greymarine, that's right!"

I never go anywhere else if I can help it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 04:57 pm:

It still depends on the staff. I've worked for NAPA and AutoZone. In both places, we would do whatever it took to try to get the customer what they needed.
Sometimes, it's like pulling teeth! Especially when the conversation starts like this,
"I need this part for my car". What kind of car? "It's a Ford". What model Ford? "One of the big ones". Well, what year? "Oh, I don't know, 71,72,73, something like that". Well, is it a 6 or a V8? "V8, I think?"........

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:10 pm:

Art, your tale reminds me of the many times I bought points for my old '65 Ford Pickup truck.

Me; "I need a set of points for my truck."
Counter guy; "What kind of truck?"
Me; "1965 Ford 3/4 ton pickup, V8."
CG; "Our computer doesn't go back past 1968."
Me; "It doesn't matter, the points for a V8 are all the same."
CG; "I have to have a year."
Me; "It doesn't matter, put in 1970."
CG; "Automatic or manual transmission?"
Me; "It doesn't matter, the points for the V8 are all the same."
CG; "I have to put it in the computer."
Me; "Manual."
CG; "Air conditioning?"
Me; "It doesn't matter! The points for the V8 are all the same."
CG; "I have to put it in the computer."
Me; "No."
CG; "2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive?"
Me; "It DOESN'T MATTER! The points for the V8 are all the same!"
CG; "I have to put it into the computer."

About this time, I ask myself. "Who is the bigger fool? A fool, or the fool that argues with a fool?"

And yes, I know points sometime before 1950-something were different and there were special points in cars with Mallory ignition, but this counter guy doesn't think anything existed before he was born.
Happy New year! And drive carefullly, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:13 pm:

Great dialog guy's I enjoyed reading your posts here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob smith on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:38 am:

I can top this. I walked into my local auto electric place a year or so back. I walked in laid a starter on the counter and the guy said 56 Dodge. I was blown away, He was dead on. I knew I was at the right place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:39 am:

A bit O.T., but....
It is sad that the parts counter is often inhabited by a 'computer reader' rather than someone with real knowledge. In Australia there is a chain of car part suppliers called Repco. I sometimes ask at my local branch for the unusual and they do their best to accommodate me.

A while ago, the lamp for my 50 year old projector burned out. The base of the lamp is a standard bayonet fitting like a tail light for a
car.

I asked at Repco if there was a high powered lamp with that base. There wasn't but knowing that I am the sort of person willing to adapt and adopt, Tom, the salesman gave me these-

From which I made this-

To fit into this-

Success because the chap behind the counter was able to work with me to think 'beyond the square'

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 08:42 am:

Dane,
Neat idea! I recently had a projector bulb burn out (DAR is the number) and all I've found so far are expensive replacements.
Verne

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration