Sediment bulb leak at shut off fix

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: Sediment bulb leak at shut off fix
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:28 pm:

At least I think it's fixed :-)

Had a slow weep at the shut off, so disassembled the sediment bulb. Used some TimeSaver to lap in the brass lever taper to the iron bowl.

Got a pretty nice fit, good and tight, but still able to turn. Used pressure on the lever handle as I spun the lever to lap the surfaces all around.

Then, cleaned out the bowl and lever real good to remove the lapping compound. Found a strong spring to use on the handle in the spring box, and fitting it tight and snug. New lead gasket on the screen, and all done.

This bulb going back on Nellie's new gas tank whenever that Brown Truck drives up.....

But just in case, the rebuild is going thru its QA testing in the Maxwell House coffee can, filled the bulb up to the top with gasoline and will rest there until I can't spot any seeps or wicking..... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 03:34 pm:

Don't ya just love this old machinery. You can fix it forever instead to having to throw it in the trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Saltsgaver on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 05:23 pm:

when I was still using the original style sediment/shut off on my 26 (it's a 20 year old re-pop), it also would weep. I talked to the tech guy at Langs (I think...it's been a couple years) & was told rubbing some soap on the mating parts was as good a fix as anything.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 06:26 pm:

Fels Naptha soap !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:46 pm:

I lapped one once and used tooth paste

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:42 pm:

Toothpaste is good for a really fine finish since it has very fine particles in it, pumas I think, plus it makes brass minty fresh.

I use to keep a can of compound for emergencies, now the stuff is somewhat hard to find on the shelves, even in the auto parts store. I guess nobody tries to repair things anymore.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 09:30 pm:

Dan: Your test set up is flawed. You need the weight of 8 gallons of gas on top of that shut off to really test the valve. Just my opinion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 10:42 pm:

Jack

You're too picky...you build engines,.. I can redo a sediment bulb :-)

Just joking, yea figured someone would notice, but a least it passed my 'quick test'.

Will install it in situ and see if the drip mat catches anything other than oil under Nellie !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 12:17 am:

Dan a one inch piece of pipe,10 inches long, with a bell reducer on it ,screwed on top with gas in it will give you the same head pressure,and complete your test set up.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration