I have a loper? help...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: I have a loper? help...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 06:35 pm:

I started my T today with new plugs, Patterson coils, rebuilt coilbox and new generator. She started fine and ran smooth but when I advanced the spark she began to lope and sounded like she was firing on three cylinders? I pulled plugs and all 4 fired well...what gives? Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,
Jim Chochole

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 06:50 pm:

Did you let the T warm up?

Cold starts and the roller timers have thick oil on the contacts, hits some misses some til things warm up.

Still on battery or did you switch to mag?

Normally ignition is source of missing like that, but could be the carb setting too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:03 pm:

I always richen the mixture a 1/4 to 1/2 turn before starting a cold engine. After 30 seconds or so, as it begins to warm up, it will begin to lope. Leaning it out clears it right up. I couldn't say if that's what's going on with yours or not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:06 pm:

Do you have the pan bolt under the timer in correctly?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:38 pm:

I added an Anderson timer from an older one and it didn't lope with the older- so no bolt issues. Could be carburetion- maybe I need to lean her out? I had it on mag and bat and loped on both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 07:40 pm:

I've noticed that letting the newly rebuilt engine on my Model T warm up good before driving off really makes a big difference in how smooth it runs.

If I get in too big of a hurry it sputters along. I'm learning to be patient when starting and driving my Model T.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 08:52 pm:

Turns out- my bolt was indeed flipped nut-side up, and so I took it out and now it is nut-down. I was also running on a Milwaukee Short-Proof timer and changed to the metal-cased Anderson. So the contact post for a cylinder was immediately over the nut when I advanced the lever...this could fix the issue..Stay tuned as tomorrow is 55 degrees and I am gonna drive the T again! I hope this solves the lopery!

Thanks gents!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration