A question about wood finish for a hand truck for my TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2010: A question about wood finish for a hand truck for my TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joseph Magedanz on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 11:24 pm:

I have a question about finishing replacement wood for a project I am working on.

But first, for those with a commercial Model T and who might want a hand truck to go along with it, I thought I would share what I have been doing:

Search online for “replacement walking plow handles” to find vendors who make new ones that can be used very nicely to replace old handles if needed (buy an extra new handle or two for the various cross pieces, etc.), sandblast and finish the metal parts, and you’re in business.

original
new parts
repaired

Now for the question…what would be a suitable finish for the new replacement wood? I want it to look somewhat like the original might have when it was new (no trace of any paint or finish on the old pieces).

Thanks for any ideas.

Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 11:36 pm:

This was about spokes but boiled linseed oil sounds like it would work. I like the way it worked on the wheelbarrow handles I made.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/171101.html?1290293833

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thunder on the Plains of Colorado on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 11:56 pm:

Boiled linseed oil...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Thursday, December 30, 2010 - 11:58 pm:

50/50 mix - boiled linseed oil and turpentine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adrian Whiteman, New Zealand on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 04:05 am:

I used "Danish Oil" - two coats, but put this right over the original wood:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration