Rosie The Riveter Revisited

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Rosie The Riveter Revisited
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:43 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/179817.html?1293772601

My wife's grandmother(second from left)worked in the Bessemer shops here in Greenville during WWII

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 01:57 pm:

Neat photo, Dale.

Is it me or is that locomotive particularly large?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 03:46 pm:

Maybe the women are particularly small.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 05:08 pm:

The engine was called it a "Texas Type" and was(is) big.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 05:21 pm:

That's right, it's a Texas type 2-10-4. Large yes, but there's always a bigger locomotive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 05:58 pm:

Visual Aid:

rosie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:17 pm:

There is one in a park in Santa FE NM Big! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 06:20 pm:

There is one in a park in Santa FE NM Big! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick - (2) '26's - Bartow, FL on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:15 pm:

Now, these are big! www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAjsTA8ptwE&feature=related

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Conner - Sanford, NC on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 07:34 pm:

I'll see your Big Boy and raise you an A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnug7rrJz0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 08:05 pm:

Bud,

You may be thinking of the one that was displayed in a downtown park in Albuquerque. It is the Santa Fe 2926 Steam Locomotive.

It was moved from the park ten years ago to a restoration site where a group of volunteers are working to bring it back to its former glory.

I visited the site and the folks working on the project a few years ago. It was spectacular to say the least. That is one big locomotive.

This is information from their website:

"Originally from the last group of steam locomotives purchased by the Atchison Topeka and Santa Fe Railway , it was specifically designed for both passenger and high-speed freight service. Delivered by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1944, it ranks as one of the largest 4-8-4 locomotives ever built, and definitely the heaviest. When fully loaded with 24,500 gallons of water and 7,000 gallons of fuel oil, 2926 weighs over one million pounds. Nearly 121' long, this massive 4-8-4 has 80" drivers, operates with a boiler pressure of 300 psi, and produces a tractive effort of 66,000 pounds. At 50 mph, 2926 produces approximately 4600 draw bar horsepower. Its maximum speed is 110 mph! To many rail historians, 2926 and her sister locomotives of the 2900 class represent the epitome of modern steam locomotive design."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:02 pm:

My mom ran the tool crib at Stewart Field, West Point, New York during the war.

We used my mom for the "Rosie The riveter" display in the museum, since I had all the information available.

She was a Capt. in the Civil Air Patrol after the war. My mom is the one in the dark flight suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:10 pm:

Orlando,Nope we were on the way to ride a train in Santa Fe and we stoped at a local park and there it was,the only 10 wheeler i have ever seen.Got kids there so maby we have pictures?? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 09:11 pm:

We have an original "We can Do It" Rosie poster in the museum as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:24 pm:

Found the pictures,AT&SF 5030 2 10 4. The picture of the big engine at the start of this thread is a puzzle to me as was BessIemer a road name or a steel plant?? It seems odd for a huge road engine to be in a plant?? In about 73 74 i got to watch a big steam crane work beside the Chevy plant i worked at. Casey Jones was allways tearing something to hell!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 10:41 pm:

The Bessemer and Lake Erie Railroad ran between Pittsburgh and Conneaut,Ohio(on Lake Erie).
They mostly hauled coal north and iron ore south.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bessemer_and_Lake_Erie_Railroad

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:29 pm:

Bud,

I'll have to go see it next time I'm up in Santa Fe.

If you're ever up to Albuquerque go check out the progress they're making on the 2926. They'll welcome you.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, December 31, 2010 - 11:37 pm:

Orlando,We were there last summer on our way to SF 8500 mile 5'th wheel trip! Proably will get back this year so i will check on 2926. Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr., Portales, New Mexico on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:24 am:

Bud,

Let me know when you're my way. I'd like to meet you in person.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 10:25 am:

Way Cool! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine in Melbourne, Australia on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 12:10 pm:

The biggest steam train ever built is now on display inside the Henry Ford museum if I'm not mistaken.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:01 pm:

Its hard to say but it is one of the larger more powerfull one's built. What is so nice about that engine is you can walk right up to it,and touch and feel all day long! In the last few years you can get in the cab sit in the seat and blow the whistle!! There is also a video player you can start and watch & hear it in action! I wish they would put one up for OLD 16!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Shelton, Tennessee, USA on Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 01:04 pm:

Referring to the Big Boy and "A" above - I was told by a man answering questioons by the Big Boy on display in Sacramento years ago that there were no lines left with heavy enough rail to handle these things. I guess he was wrong?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration