Vintage pop up camper on Tbay

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Vintage pop up camper on Tbay
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge stittville NY (upstate) on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 04:24 pm:

i listed a 1929 Gilkie camper that i was going to restore but decided to sell it. way too many T progects in the shop to try to find the time to restore it. my loss, and hopefully some Model Ters gain. camping with the T is a ball.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 04:52 pm:

Here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/vintage-pop-up-camper-ready-restoration-new-tires -/290533858018?pt=RVs_Campers&hash=item43a52adae2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:18 pm:

I would actually like to have that for my T. But, in a little better condition. I do not know if I could restore it. Not so good at that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Rademacher, Parkerfield Ks 26 on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:26 pm:

I would love to have it. But for what it would cost the ship. I don't think so. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:39 pm:

For my wife, roughing it is a 3 star hotel..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Saturday, February 12, 2011 - 05:52 pm:

Ralph,

That is a million of stars hotel..... :-)

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 12:17 am:

I think im going to give it a shot. That will work well with my T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Knoll Jr on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 12:59 am:

That will be really nice when it's restored. Doesn't look to rotted out ( well, the wood that is !) To bad for me it's on the other side of the Country !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 09:29 am:

That would be a great husband and wife restoration. The husband can restore the structure, and the wife can do the sewing of the canvas panels. (Do wives still sew?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 09:50 am:

Not Mine! :-( She is a brainyack, her not me I can't even spell it.....

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 09:56 am:

WOW!!!....Where the hell did you find that....I could see this at a car show and then a trip to the river to do a bit of fishing and camping to boot!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 10:03 am:

Eric,

A friend of mine brings one to Iola, Wisconson's swap meet every year and we stay in it. It's a different make, it's an AUTOKAMP made in Saginaw, Mi. Looks very similar to the one for sale but is in excellent condition. I have slept in it many times. Lots of fun, and many ask about it! :-)

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 11:08 am:

I have a trailer light hook up for a trailer or camper of that period if someone ends up buying the camper or if anyone needs one send me a P.M. for pic's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Shawn Hayward, Mountain. Ont on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 11:12 am:

I am on the fence about this one,
I want it
it's close enough to get,
but then again, I don't need any more projects,..
I don't have kids, so who's going to finish them???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JAMES STARKEY on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 11:16 am:

Not to throw a sour note in the tune but isn't it more age appropriate for a Model A or later? Jimmy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 11:28 am:

They were as early as 1921, so they are for the T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 05:49 pm:

Recently did a story for a local paper on 2 guys from N.J. who supposeidly built their own car towed trailer for camping in 1919. The photo his daughter supplied shows a camper that looks alot like the photos but according to Ed they weren't made until 1921. Can't post it (too grainy), but now I'm wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 06:39 pm:

Ed;
I bought a tent camper shaped like the one on ebay which was a '67 model. I didn't think they made a hard top back then until I saw the one you posted a pic of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 07:13 pm:

1916 Cozy Camp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 07:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 07:32 pm:

Hey, Use As Is. They are only origional once.
LOL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By eric flower on Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 07:52 pm:

The one in Ed's pic I can see a few of them over the years getting striped out for the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable Kiama Australia on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 01:22 am:

These trailers are a great addition to have if you like touring in your Model T. Even thought I have a Kamper body on my T I would love to buy this trailer its a real good easy restoration. I would not hesitate to pay the extra to ship it here to Australia. There is only one here that I know of.

Anyone who went to the 100th celebrations in Richmond in 2008 will have seen there was a whole lot of these trailers of different brands there. Great thing about them is you can get up in the morning get out of bed get dressed and leave the trailer there while you drive off for the day in your car. They are far better than a tent you are up off the ground high and dry and all your food and goods store away and are easily got to.

Here are a few of the trailers that were at Richmond.

08trip175(2)
08trip176(2)
08trip181(2)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 02:01 am:

I hope I get this, I have a good bid in right now.
How much does one of these go for anyways?

If I do win this, how hard is it to have a shipping company pick it up and deliver?

I have done some research, and it looks like about $400 bucks to ship. That was a online computer quote, so I may not have filled out all the peramiters correct for the quote though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By peter kable Kiama Australia on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 03:24 am:

Andrew,It may be worth a call to Jim who advertises in the classified section, he appears to be all over the country and may be able to work out a delivery for you if you win on ebay.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Sumner on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 07:47 am:

This is my 1924 Autocamp built in Saginaw Mi. It was given to me by the daughter of the original owner. Also many family photos and diary of trips taken with the camper. Lesautocamp originalautocamp restored

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge stittville NY (upstate) on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 11:38 am:

thats funny to see peters pics from the 100th party in richmond. the first 2 campers shown are mine and the 3rd is one of our club members. the first one is a chanago camper 1926 made in norwich ny, the 2nd is a wisconsin mountiner, 1928 made in wisconson, and the 3rd is gregs zegelmyer circa 192?, i cant remember where it was made. we drove from upstate ny to the party in richmond and had a ball, camping all along the way. used our t cookers for meals and had a great trip down and back. what a great trip it was. ben and nancy from texas t were also there with us camping in there zegemyer too. the whole vintage camp ground theam was great if you got to see it. we would have differant people shop , then cook a meal and divide the total spent by the number of people we feed. we were feeding close to 30 people per meal, and they cost 5 or 6 bucks a meal. we do the same when we have our annual TTTT (tent topped touring Ts) camping trip every summer. what a great thing, the best of both lifes, model Ting and camping.peter, thanks for the post , it brought back great memories!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, February 14, 2011 - 06:13 pm:

Doug - Where and when will your TTTT camping tour be this summer?

Thanks, Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge stittville NY (upstate) on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 09:47 am:

not sure, waiting to hear from greg stewart, contact him and put the bug in his ear, we have to get him moving on the planning of it. he gets so busy at work and forgets to keep working on the camping trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 12:48 pm:

We were the successful bid on the Gilkie camper (sorry Andrew) and are looking forward to a true husband and wife restoration which we'll share with the forum. We intend to use the camper with both our Model T and Model A, and also have an early 40's teardrop we tow with our '42 Ford Sedan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:03 pm:

This listing hasn't ended according to my computer. So keep bidding you might get sniped! :-)

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:22 pm:

This may be a "Truman defeats Dewey" moment...I am rooting for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:27 pm:

Check the description and scroll down to the bottom of the seller-added comments. The seller made the reserve price a Buy-it-now price and we jumped on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:30 pm:

I see now, good deal. I look forward to the restoration updates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:31 pm:

Wayne,

I don't have any interest in it, but it is still going on as an auction on ebay, and there could be trouble with ebay, if it is sold he should end the auction! JMO Good Luck to all! :-)

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 02:34 pm:

Good point John -- I'll send a note to Doug.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew K. Deckman on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

Congrats Wayne! I could not afford it at 1200 plus the shipping, was not sure when I was to receive my bonus, was already late in getting it. I am glad that Doug was able to get what he wanted for it.

I just found out, I will be recieiving my bonus next week. Figures! Just missed it.

Doug, you may have a good network for those type of trailers. If you hear of one for sale again, may I ask a faver that you keep me in mind, I would really like one. I think you may have my number, when I was in contact with you. Im the 419 area code number

Again congrats to you both!!
Andrew Deckman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:03 pm:

Someone got it for $1045.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 04:04 pm:

Wayne, I will be looking forward to seeing how you and your wife progress on restoring the camper. It looks like a fun joint project.

I must say I have enjoyed all the input here to this thread. Lots of great photos and information on Model T era campers. We really have a great group of sharing individuals here on this forum!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 06:44 pm:

It still amazes me how many people post their thoughts on these forums without bothering to read the preceeding posts first.
No Richard, someone did not get it for $1045, Wayne has already explained above how he met the reserve at $1200 but the seller had a problem ending the listing.
Meanwhile, it occurs to me as this camper/trailer has generated considerable interest, that it would not be too difficult to make a new copy from scratch. Has anyone done this on here? Or if someone with an original takes some measurements would there be any interest in producing some drawings or plans?
You could sell them online for $10 or $20 surely?
Chris Martin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By A.J. "Art" Bell on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 08:03 pm:

Hi Wayne

I suspect that buying the camper was the easy part,
and hopefully rebuilding it will be the fun part.
These appear to be the patents for it.
Not exactly precise blueprints, but could have a few
useful clues as your project progresses.
The last patent in the list is by Warren L. Gilkison,
(perhaps he is one of the sons) and seems to be a
newer version but I’ll let you sort that out.
Have Fun and hope these will be of some help.

Inventor – Edward Ray Gilkison
Terre Haute, Indiana
Auto Camp Trailer
Patent number: 1696113
Filing date: Jul 6, 1926
Issue date: Dec 18, 1928
http://tinyurl.com/48w8ws8
http://preview.tinyurl.com/48w8ws8

Terre Haute, Indiana
Assignor to E. P. Gilkison & Sons Co.
Terre Haute, Indiana
Tent Structure
Patent number: 1707960
Filing date: Aug 1, 1928
Issue date: Apr 2, 1929
http://tinyurl.com/4966guh
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4966guh

Terre Haute, Indiana
Terre Haute, Indiana
Trailer Leg
Patent number: 1727430
Filing date: Aug 1, 1928
Issue date: Sep 10, 1929
http://tinyurl.com/4jdt9om
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4jdt9om

Inventor - Warren L. Gilkison
Terre Haute, Indiana
Terre Haute, Indiana
Trailer Body
Patent number: 1881482
Filing date: Jan 28, 1931
Issue date: Oct 11, 1932
http://tinyurl.com/4c6hvg2
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4c6hvg2

Regards
Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard wolf on Saturday, February 19, 2011 - 09:09 pm:

Chris, sorry I ruffled your feathers, but the reason I don't read some of the posts is that some of the people on the forum feel as though they have to write a short story or novel where a few lines would be ample. I have other things I do besides set on my can all day or all night reading every word that is typed on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CHRIS MARTIN on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 12:36 am:

Didn't 'ruffle my feathers' a bit, and sure I don't have time to read everything on here, but I also do not just chuck a line in there without checking what has been said so far. It seems to be quite common on a lot of forums now for folks to blow hot air for the sake of it without making sure it fits in the thread, which coincidentally makes it even harder to read the posts in the first place, which, if you follow my logic, is probably why you just chimed in anyway.
This forum could be useful, but as some would use it just to excercise thier keyboard fingers (a modern equivalent of 'flapping yer gums' I suppose) it does make it hard to sort the wheat from the chaff.
Chris M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By douglas j hauge stittville NY (upstate) on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 09:54 am:

ben from texas T parts has made 2 zegelmyer campers. he has the plans and has done very nice work . his camper is in this posting , its the camper with the dog in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald Bolser on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 11:02 am:

I found this neat web site. It has a lot of info on most all of the early tent campers.

www.popupcamperhistory.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Rosenkrans on Sunday, February 20, 2011 - 02:50 pm:

Been there Andrew - we were just lucky this time!

Thanks for all the info guys, we're looking forward to working on the restoration. We live outside of Philadelphia, so its about a 5hr drive up to Utica with our hauler - Doug's working on a speedster I want to see too.

Just got some plans, pictures, and detailed instructions from an EV8 club member for a hitch which looks like just the ticket - no holes in the chassis, everything bolts in, and most of its hidden when not towing.

I always put together an information sheet for our various pieces and found the same website Ronald found - amazing what's out there. I also downloaded all of the patent information Art provided, the dimensioned drawings in those I'm certain will be very useful.

Excellent example of the purpose of these forums

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration