A Homebuilt Governor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: A Homebuilt Governor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 01:58 pm:

A Model T engine that I recently purchased had been previously used on a saw mill. There was this weird device in place of the generator, which had obviously been made from a generator. There was a small dog tag size metal plate on top of the carb throttle lever with three holes in it for various speed settings and a wire in one of the holes was long enought to attach to something on this governor that was evidently missing.

The engine had been stored inside for over 40 years and the previous owner was deceased, so no information was available.

Has anyone ever seen one of these units? Were they something from a Popular Mechanics magazine or where did the plan come from for this device?

Does anyone have anything similar.

Gov

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Edward J. Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 02:48 pm:

When I thought I had seen about everything, you come up with this. Beautiful!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 04:28 pm:

Would there have been linkage to the carb for speed control? I am also assuming the case was complete.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Indy. on Saturday, March 12, 2011 - 04:40 pm:

I'd love to have seen Patterson's face if you had sent that to him to rebuild!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:15 pm:

Jack, did you get my e-mail on the Swan manifold?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Faccin - Crystal Falls, Michigan on Sunday, March 13, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

Jim,

That sure is a ingenious idea. I can see that it would work, to bad the other parts aren't there. I don't think it would be hard to make them though.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mattthew G on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 01:14 am:

Yes James,
Popular Mechanics Sep 1933 p480

see: http://books.google.com/books?id=EeIDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA480&lpg=PA480&dq=%22model+t%2 2+governor+engine+generator&source=bl&ots=cSmvAFM04g&sig=I2fymFwaTITvix6gWFrh3wO 1lQ0&hl=en&ei=WqJ9Tai1Koj4rAGZssGQBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved= 0CDsQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=%22model%20t%22%20governor%20engine%20generator&f=false

Very Cool! I love the ideas on here!

Matthew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Monday, March 14, 2011 - 08:27 am:

Matthew, thank you, that was a great idea to check Google. I will have to start using them more. There should have been plans for an early magnet charger in one of those books too.

My unit was only slightly modified from that design. I wonder if it actually ever worked. The planned use was for the same purpose.

Here is the rest of the story.

Governor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sven Jakobsson of Southeast Sweden on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 - 08:04 am:

Hello James,

Yes, I have another governor on a 1925 engine that I once bought just to have some spare parts, if I should need it. As you will see on the pictures below, also this “generator” does not produce much current. A funny detail I found, was that part of the centrifugal regulator is made with parts of something like bicycle chains. On the chains there are weights attached. So a handy man somewhere in Sweden made his version of governor.

Best regards, Sven
Governor 1Governor 2Governor 3

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration