Model T Ford Wiring Diagrams and Wire Gauges

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Model T Ford Wiring Diagrams and Wire Gauges
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 10:54 am:

I wanted to clarify a point about Model T wiring I previously made here to avoid any confusion.
The reproduction wiring looms sold today SHOULD (some do not) use #12 gauge wires for all the charging charging circuit wiring and DO use #14 gauge wire for all other wires.
To be absolutely correct per the Ford wiring loom prints, which I have in my files, all charging circuit wiring SHOULD be #12 gauge wire and all other wires should be #16 gauge wire.
As I indicated in the past there are several Model T wiring diagrams floating around out there and many are incorrect in one way or the other.
Here for your future reference is a wiring diagram that shows all factory wiring correctly depicted (including the commonly incorrectly depicted physical wiring of the charging circuit to the ammeter via the switch)and I have added a note indicating the proper gauges of all wiring.
1919-1927 Model T Ford Wiring Diagram
If you have a stoplight installed the hot wire should be wired to terminal block connection #1.
If you have the commonly recommended 25 amp main fuse that will protect all the wiring it should be installed in the wire from terminal block connection #3 to point G as close as possible to point G.
I particularly like this diagram because it has each location uniquely marked and is easy to use when helping people with wiring difficulties over the telephone.
I hope this helps clarify this commonly misunderstood subject.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 03:20 pm:

Would there be any issue using #12 for everything excluding the heary batt lines?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - Lyons, GA on Wednesday, April 06, 2011 - 03:52 pm:

They don't fit well through the channel under the steering column if you have a car with the combo light/horn switch.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration