26 - 27 windshields?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 26 - 27 windshields?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Gilmore on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 09:43 pm:

I need a windshield for a 26 Tudor and found these on ebay. http://stores.ebay.com/macjani?_rdc=1
Are any of them correct for my car? I don't need anything fancy, something to hold the windshield in place.
Gary in PA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 10:05 pm:

This should help:

http://www.modeltford.com/item/78206.aspx

Doesn't really look like any are the right width.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 10:26 pm:

Gary,
I am not able to check the size but this one looks right. The model T frame and at least some model A frames will fit but the A frame has a sort of shelf at the bottom of the frame that a T tudor frame does not have.

Here is a link to the one that looks the same as my 26 tudor. You need to run out to your car and see what the size of yours is before you bid on this but it looks right from the picture.

1. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-MODEL-A-T-WINDSHIELD-FRAME-GLASS-_W0QQcmd ZViewItemQQhashZitem4aaac4c697QQitemZ320692602519QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPar tsQ5fAccessories

The next link I listed as 2. here looks like it might have the shelf on the lower inside part of the frame that would be for model A but it is hard to see. I have both frames and the ones I have are the same size and both fit in my car.

2.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VINTAGE-MODEL-A-T-WINDSHIELD-FRAME-GLASS-_W0QQcmd ZViewItemQQhashZitem4aaac4a718QQitemZ320692594456QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPar tsQ5fAccessories

Maybe someone will jump in and help more on these before time runs out.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDaniel(Indiana Trucks)Star City In on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 10:29 pm:

Jim is right, none are showing the right sizes if the one from Langs is right for your car. Better check before you buy.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode on Friday, May 06, 2011 - 10:34 pm:

Gary,
Both of those you linked are a little over 44" wide. The Langs image indicates that it should be 42 7/8" wide. I wonder if someone that has one can actually measure theirs.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 02:58 am:

To complicate matters, not all 26-7 Tudor windshields are the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Harper - Keene, New Hampshire on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 09:00 am:

Tom,
What are the differences? I thought that all of the Improved Tudor windshields were the same? And perhaps the coupe as well. Inquiring minds need to know. Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James C. Eubanks on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 09:17 am:

You can get the real thing, made of steel from a NY MFG 518-3385 or 51677-5668 ask for Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Peterson on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 11:20 am:

the hinges are the difference on the on the tudor/coupe windsheilds, 2 different styles, windshields are the same size, both fit either car, just need the complete top hinge

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 12:17 pm:

The early windshields have a piano hinge that screws to the header with wood screws. That later style is like a Model A. The upper half is part of the body and the windshield slides into it sort of like yin and yang. The windshield frames are the same size and they can sort of fit each other with a bit of hacking. Far better to find the correct style windshield in my opinion. If your car has wood around the windows (1/4 and rear) it probably has the Model A style. If there is metal around the windows, it is likely the piano hinge style.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Peterson on Saturday, May 07, 2011 - 08:30 pm:

the early 26 or late 25 coupes and tudors with the 26 27 body style , never had wood screws that screwed a wood header, there was never a wood header in 26 27. they were a flat head machine bolt with a nut, there were 2 different header styles above the windsheild, one was open so u could reach the nuts, the other was closed which had nuts welded inthere from the factory, some had a header garnish, some didnt, the more i see of them the more i believe it was a builder of the bodys, not a early or later thing.but that just my opinion and i have been wrong before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie on Sunday, May 08, 2011 - 12:45 am:

Mike's right about the header. I was going from poor memory. Sorry 'bout that. I have been told, and I could be wrong about this, that the early cars did not have wood so that the enamel paint could be baked. When the lacquer came out, they put wood into them. I'll admit that this seems sorta fishy to me, but, all serial number evidence I've seen bears this out. Every unmolested early car I've seen had no wood, all late ones, wood.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration