Barn fresh 1913 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Barn fresh 1913 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 07:12 pm:

I've been working at getting this car for a couple of months and brought it home yesterday. It was sold new in Gilroy, CA. It was driven until 1923 when a new car took its place. It was put into the barn until 1951 when it was sold and went to South Gate, ca. It has remained in dry storage until the owners passing a few months ago. I picked it up yesterday and was able to meet 2 of the men who were there in 1951 when the car was sold. Hasslers, a replacement carb, rear wheels and a front spring are the only things that have been changed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB-Toms River N.J. on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 07:16 pm:

Are those re-cap tires? Looks like a nice straight car. Good Luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Aiken, SC on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 07:17 pm:

Very nice catch!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolo F, South Texas on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 07:30 pm:

Fabulous find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks - Surf City on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:01 pm:

How does it compare to your other 1913, Kim?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By willie k cordes on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:05 pm:

Kim, I am glad to see that someone who has no Model T's got the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:36 pm:

Wow! Look at that. Congrats. The radiator looks to be in fantastic shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harvey Decker / Monterey, Tennessee on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

Well done, Kim !

hands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo CA on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 08:50 pm:

Want to trade for a nice 15????

Very nice Kim!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 09:33 pm:

Kim,

What a fantastic "time machine." As you go through things and document items, please let me know what the body number, body letter, ID patent plate number, and the engine number (with the last three xxx or the date listed by McCalley for the engine number. Also if you have any details on when it was originally purchased or ordered etc.

Again congratulations!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Lee Crenshaw on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 09:56 pm:

Kim strikes again! The firstest with the bestest!
Lee

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:39 pm:

Fantastic, and congratulations. Does it smell like garlic? I used to live in Gilroy and still love garlic to this day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

Thanks for all your kind comments. Ralph, its about the same, some things are better and some not. The best thing is the Top. Willie, It may go to a friend of mine who wants his first T. I will keep it for a while. I want to get it in good running condition. Sorry Gary, my first T was a 13 and i really like them. Hap, i will surly get you the info. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:40 pm:

What carb is that by the way?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:44 pm:

Is that carburator a Stromborg?

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:46 pm:

Congradulations Kim, and best of luck!
As has been said before they're only original once.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:50 pm:

Kim...I'm just getting started in the hobby. That said, I'm interested to know how you went about finding this car.

I've been looking on Craig's list, e-bay, Hemming's etc..

Looking for a Brass error touring that I can restore. Anyone else with suggestions??

Best regards for Atlanta!

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Protexter, Sioux City, Iowa on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 10:58 pm:

Kim, great find, they are still out there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:03 pm:

Michael:

Many if not most antique cars trade hands via word-of-mouth and are not advertised in classifieds.

It's about networking (for lack of a better term), old fashioned detective work, chasing leads, wild goose chases, etc.

People who are obsessed with a particular make or model of car actively hunt them down. Sometimes they locate a particular car that they really want but it can take years before the car is actually offered for sale.

Also - not everyone who owns an antique car is actively involved in the hobby or a member of a club. There are always sleepers out there waiting to be discovered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By michael grady on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:14 pm:

Thanks Eric....I'm lookin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana USA on Monday, May 16, 2011 - 11:35 pm:

The carburetor is not a Stromberg nor exactly like anything in my collection. It may be an early Rayfield based on the float cover cap but it's hard to say. There were so many accessory carbs, I know there were over 100, probably more than that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 12:11 am:

Kim-
Very nice.
I see it had a presto-lite tank. Are there any holes in the runningboard for a gererator?

I see Hasslers, electric horn button, demountable rims on the rear tires, and even the rich-lean lever on the firewall for the carburetor. I have a correct two-screw Holley if you'd like to trade...

; ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 04:08 am:

Beautiful!!! I love it!
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 04:53 am:

Outstanding!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 06:28 am:

Great job finding and putting another Model T back where it belongs - on the road!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:05 am:

Truly magnificent, please keep the photos coming. Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little, South Paris, Maine on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 08:13 am:

What a GREAT find! PLEASE post LOTS of photos. I especially would like to see photos of the top where it attaches around the back seat.
Does it have the original tools?-and if so could you post photos of them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 08:21 am:

The tires look a little iffy, but fortunately there are a couple of spares. That's really a swell old chariot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 09:53 am:

What an incredible find! This is the dream of every collector!

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen-Central Minnesota on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:04 am:

This car is lucky to have found Kim. He's a true steward of original cars. From here forward, this car will be properly preserved and maintained.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 10:47 am:

Fantastic!!

Remember it is only origional once..
Clean it up - Protect it - get it running - make it safe - Have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Dugger on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 11:35 am:

Thank somebody that the car did not end up in the crusher as scrape metal. Some people fall in a buck of **** and come like a Rose.
Best of Luck make it look good and driveable. As they said it is original like it stands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger K, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 02:27 pm:

Great find :-) I hope your friend will keep it original just like the stubborn guys that kept it intact for so long.
Was it driven in the 50's? Can't really be 1923 tubes that took air, can it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:05 pm:

beautiful

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Woolf on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:37 pm:

Kim,
Fantastic! It looks like a late 13. I for one would like to see some detailed pictures of the top. Does it have the straps on the bows that are used to hold up the rear side curtain when they are rolled up? Most original 13's seem to have this feature.

Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 07:58 pm:

Hi Kim
Does the motor look to be original and what is the number?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Tuesday, May 17, 2011 - 08:00 pm:

Hi Kim
One more question. Are the rear body wood stringer metal supports installed on this vehicle?
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 05:24 pm:

Hap, the body # is H219431, dash tag # is 275144, engine # is 294873, casting date is 6-3-13 and radiator tag # is 309?55. Ron, this body has the large modified stringers. In one of the pictures you can see the bolt going through the stringer to the 13 frame bracket. This car has a 14 style frame with the 13 special body reinforcement brackets.and the 14 style torque tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 07:03 pm:

Holy cow, this thing is a living time capsule! Please, please, please: Just the drive train and a little cleaning.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Menkhaus on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

...and maybe some new tires! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 08:46 pm:

WOW, What great condition this thing is in. Just marvelous. Agree with above for originality. Ya, the tires are a bit toooooo vintage. That dust layer is going to show the drool marks clear as a bell though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff rey L. Vietzke on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 09:33 pm:

WOW. I have to agree with the others..what a piece of history. A restoration would ruin it! Great find!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" (Harold) Tucker - Sumter, SC on Wednesday, May 18, 2011 - 10:23 pm:

Kim,

Thank you so much for the body number, engine number, ID plate number etc. If you get a chance please let us know if the car does or does not have an H stamped into the front seat heel panel or the rear seat heal panel (see sample at: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/210232.html?1305080884 ). It also addresses that we do not know for sure if the H stands for Hayes or a Herbert we are still trying to track down how to tell which is which. (We would welcome any information on how to tell which is which). Also as you look over the car more please let us know if you find any additional body numbers on the bottoms of the doors (for example Beaudett did that on some 1913s) or on the top of the doors under the metal cover (see: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/209376.html?1304902238 where Wilson Body company did that.) Again great car!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 01:15 am:

Kim-
Are those straps with the Murphy Fasteners on the side of the verticle top bows original? Were those for side curtain storage? They look about the same as the straps used to roll up the back curtain. But I thought the carriage knob goes on the outside of the rear bow (?)

Are the sill plates the same as those on the '12's?

What a treasure!

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Knoll Jr on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:51 am:

What a find ! Mckenney and Mckenney mentioned here :

http://www.archive.org/stream/automobiletourbo00firerich/automobiletourbo00firer ich_djvu.txt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Knoll Jr on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 02:55 am:

Mckenney and Mckenney established the week of Sept. 5th, 1912

http://books.google.com/books?id=8swqAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA505&lpg=PA505&dq=mckenney+and +mckenney+gilroy&source=bl&ots=T2PqaFjTrE&sig=7xgHOiZ6OmDdyhIZVuV3SWvhddQ&hl=en& ei=SL7UTab4E5T0tgPG5qXcBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=9&ved=0CFQQ6AEwCD gK#v=onepage&q=mckenney%20and%20mckenney%20gilroy&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Knoll Jr on Thursday, May 19, 2011 - 03:00 am:

one more mention here :

http://books.google.com/books?id=B99LAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA252&dq=mckenney+and+mckenney+ gilroy+ford&hl=en&ei=q7_UTaOyIIT2swOAubDjCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum =1&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=mckenney%20and%20mckenney%20gilroy%20ford&f=false

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 06:34 pm:

G'day Kim, any more pic's coming ? please !

David Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Friday, May 20, 2011 - 07:30 pm:

For me this car is interesting because of the coilbox and coils.
It has the KW coilbox and coils shown to Ford in late 1912. Ford immediately recognized the benefit of the Williams point design and it was adopted for all future Model T production. Kim's car has that coilbox and coils that was only used in 1913.
In late 1913 the coil was changed to the standard size and both Ford and KW manufactured it for future Model T production in the metal coilbox.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 04:03 pm:

A question for Ron Patterson: The photo of the coilbox lid shows a printed set of instructions glued to the inside of the lid. Did KW coilboxes in 1913 come from the factory with these instructions...or did someone paste them on later on this car?

Neil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dare on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 05:23 pm:

Neil, so did the Heinze.

David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 05:33 pm:

Here's a few more pictures. one of the original gas piping on the radiator, and the original speedo drive. I pulled the head and found that the pistons have been replaced with .0025 oversize cast iron.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson on Sunday, May 22, 2011 - 05:38 pm:

I believe these were placed in the cover by KW Ignition Company who was the manufacturer of the coilbox. I have seen these in other manufacturers coiboxs too.
KW also had a similar set of instructions inside the cover of their Master Vibrators.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 07:26 pm:

I was given this picture by the second owner of the 13. It just came out of the barn in 1953 and was basically moved into another barn until earlier this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 12:10 am:

You sure have a talent for finding the good ones, Kim. Don't you already have an original '13 Touring?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:04 am:

What a great photo ! Where's the other T ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 12:38 am:

Ok so color me green! What a great find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 08:31 am:

This looks like a 8mm movie from when it came out of it's first barn in 1953: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPMZmhOKXNs
Quite an expedition.. Unfortunately the transfer from analog to digital media has affected picture quality, cool film anyway :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 08:47 am:

Those cars were only forty years old at the time.

Today, lots of 40 year old cars are daily drivers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:32 am:

Fantastic!!!! Really want to see her up anrd running! Congrats

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop-San Diego, CA on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 09:54 pm:

Kim, great find and pictures! Have fun with it. I'm jealous and I'm sure I don't even know enough to fully appreciate what you have!

Can someone explain for those of us who have never seen one what the knobs are on the switch box?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Friday, December 16, 2011 - 10:12 pm:

One shot in that video shows the white center line on the highway. I first saw yellow center lines in Arizona, but California stayed with white for many years before they finally changed to yellow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Gilham on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 12:48 am:

I like the tow vehicles in the films. Kind of a classy way of towing I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce Peterson on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 07:02 am:

Bob,

The knob on the bottom of the coil box switch is the switch handle. Left is MAG, center is OFF, right is BAT.

The knob stuck in the side of the switch is the key. If you remove the key the switch handle will lock when moved to the OFF position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 11:40 am:

Kim, by the looks of that barn's siding, there must have been some mighty big chickens roosting on the edge of that roof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:02 pm:

Gee, I have an old barn like that on my place but never found anything of value in it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 01:11 pm:

Oh...if those walls could talk!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, December 17, 2011 - 09:57 pm:

R V, that's the cheapest way to paint your barn! I'm hoping to get on the property to see the barn that the 13 came out of next month. Still looking for a set of .005 cast iron pistons for this car. Anybody got any?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration