Advice what year car did I buy? 1912?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Advice what year car did I buy? 1912?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 01:14 pm:

I just got this car titled as a 1912 please look at the pictures

The engine is number 22028

The engine hood is not 1912 looks like 1915-16?

the fenders look 1913?

engine runs but this car will need restored bad

someone butchered it took out coils and added distributor

painted it with a paint brush

It will be redone

also someone PAINTED over brass radiator with brass paint

First job is to put a fuel shut off on it and a rebuilt carb, leaks like a fountain

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By don h ellis on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 01:38 pm:

I'm going with a 16 to start, judging by the hood former and no brass sidelights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 01:42 pm:

You purchased a collage.

The body appears to be a 1915 or later cut-off touring with some additional crude body work.

The fenders are 1917 or later. The splash apron shown is earlier.

Someone added louvers to the hood via a rivet job.

Wheels are square felloe - 1918 or later.

Later front end.

Etc......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue WA on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

None of the discrepancies between this car and a model year correct car make it any less fun to own and drive. As you work on it and get things to your liking, make it fit your wishes. If what you really want is a "correct" car, you might be wise to start with one that has more year correct components. If fun is what you want, this looks like a great start.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 02:04 pm:

Yep, along with what the others have said, the wishbone and perches are 1919 or later. I hope you didn't pay a 1912 price for this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 02:12 pm:

Chassis appears to be about 1919. This based upon front spring mount (pre'20), front wishbone (post'18), hand crank (pre'20) Firewall bracket (post '16). Fenders are a mix of '17 to '25 (one front is earlier, one front is '23-'25).
The hood is very interesting. The louvers were added in and it could have been a vintage modification. Body is messed up, but may not be too bad to fix it up.
You can pretty much restore it as whatever you want. As a funky fun whatever to a really nice whichever year you want runabout from 1915 to 1922. Know what you want, do the research. Much of it is available online, most of it from this site. I recommend Bruce McCalley's book, "the Model T Encyclopedia". Then work the car over to be what you want.
Photos of the engine and interior including the firewall would help.
Welcome to the wonderful, frustrating, most fun, infuriating disease you can ever enjoy!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:04 pm:

Thanks everyone I just will consider this another saved T from neglect I did not catch that the hood louvers had beed rivited on good catch

It does start and run, it has brakes and I paid VERY little for it so I got a fair deal I believe as long as I can shine up the brass, get the body, top and upholstrey done, then paint it it will look presentable

I am ahead of myself and will get out the books but what would be the period correct colors from 1912 to 1919? 1917 all black ? I am excited about starting on the car tomorrow using the taking a car out of mothballs check list

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

Looks like it has the rare, gravity-flow sidelight on the driver's side....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:22 pm:

For my education that this is NOT a 1912 body, I see the engine hood does not match up with the firewall. Am I correct?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:27 pm:

David
I really happen to like the hood. The workmanship looks really nice. If you should decide that it does not suit you, please contact me. Yes it needs some "loving" but it appeals to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:29 pm:

It's not a 1912 body because it has a cowl, which is 1915 model year or later.

Your car has a 1915-16 hood-former. However, it has a 1917 or later style firewall bracket (angle iron) which can be plainly seen in the third photo.

The hood is resting in the correct position on the hood-former.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob eric on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:29 pm:

This is a 19-- Model T FUN car. All that needs be said. What did you pay? I know, not my business..but curious...engine pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:30 pm:

I am going to ask some questions:

1. You said it's titled as a 1912. Did the owner tell you that, because he originally said it didn't have a title. And the car was advertised as a 1914, 1915, 1916.

2. The engine number you have listed would place the block in the 1910 range. Is it open or closed valve, and if closed is it 2 valve covers or one? Engine serial number may have been altered.

As the others have pointed out, you did save a T by purchasing it, but it's a crammed-together car from a hodge-podge of years. You can still have fun with it, and that's what it is all about.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 03:35 pm:

What an interesting car. Why is one of the lamps upside down? i think i saw that car for sale online somewhere it has the distinctive body at the bottom of the front seat.
Not sure if anyone noticed but there looks to be a missing rivet in the front of the frame so you might want to put a bolt in there or something.
Fix it and drive it, it looks fun

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 04:23 pm:

What a wonderful car, you did good. Yeah it has this and it has that, these are people not being critical, but rather observent from their own experieces. It's yours make it the way you see it, after all Henry called it the universal car. I've seen this car on ebay a year or two ago, and the owner then had a video on you tube driving it around. Please remember that wherever you go with this car I'll bet you won't be able to count the smiles and conversations it envokes. Mr McCally's encyocpedia is a wealth of information not to memtion this forum, I'll bet you couldn't imagine a question that hasn't already been discussed here. Enjoy your car, they are fun. Wes

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:18 pm:

My big question is, what should the title read for the year? It has an engine that is 1910? 1912? It has an engine hood and radiator prior to ??? Since it is a collage of parts what year should I tell folks it is besides showing all the different years of parts and that it is a "universal parts car" Do I use the age of the newest part (1919 frame? but then it has an older hood engine and radiator?? It would certainly be desceptive to claim of genuine 1912 car when it is not, nor would I do that to anyone

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:21 pm:

Also going over the car after an afternoon of ownership and running it down the street, from the ebay add pictures it appeared to have nice white wall tires - they are painted white with a painted red stripe! Seller could have mentioned that in the add Now how to remove paint? Oh the list of work goes on lucky I have a lot of parts accumulated in the basement

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kerry van Ekeren on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:34 pm:

If the engine number is correct, A 1910, that would be a waste to leave in this configeration of T parts, selling the engine would give you a large injection of money to make up your T to more inline with whats left.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 05:43 pm:

Well, at least you didn't pay an awful lot for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:20 pm:

I would like to see a photo of the engine number. Would that be possible?

If not, could you describe the location of the number. IE is stamped above the water inlet or just behind the timing gear cover? Also, are the valves and lifters exposed or are they covered with one or two shields?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:23 pm:

Here is a little more info:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Model-T-1915-16-17-18-MODEL-T-RUNS-GREAT-DRI VES-ORIGINAL-CAR-/220782811840?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3367ae5ac0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Mortensen, Ham Lake, MN on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 06:33 pm:

That's not a '10 engine. If it has a '10 serial number my guess is that it was a replacement. There was some talk about this car in an earlier post. General conclusion was that for the right price it could be a funmobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Mullin on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 09:09 pm:

When you get around to it, there are commercial dip paint stripping firms that could clean your radiator up easily. Still leaves you a lot of polishing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob eric on Thursday, June 02, 2011 - 10:02 pm:

$4050. ..... well, looks like fun anyway.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration