Rear view mirror

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Rear view mirror
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz Knoxville,TN on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 12:04 pm:

I just received a hinge pin mirror for my 24 Fordor, it is wide enough but not deep enough by 1/8" or more, i don't really want to grind off the hinge and the mirror doesn't look thick enough to grind, has anyone else had this problem, Langs catalog says it fits 22-27 closed cars.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Mahaffey on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 01:56 pm:

Had the same problem with my 27 tudor. I used a milling machine and shaved off the 1/8 inch inside the yoke. It fits nicely, but not without modifying the inside dimensions of the yoke.

I have one such mirror on the top hinge, left side, and one on the top hinge, right side. The right side mirror has a convex bonded to the flat mirror. In modern traffic, I must have the mirrors for lane changes.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz Knoxville,TN on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 02:45 pm:

Jim, thanks,thats a good idea on the right mirror.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Saturday, June 04, 2011 - 02:47 pm:

I'm cheap and lazy. I just used Harley Davidson mirrors. With a little filing, the fit right where the hinge pins go.

They don't look 'too' un-original.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:37 am:

If you had reversed them and mounted them on the center hinge, would they have been too low?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 09:23 am:

You know Terry, I thought about that. If you look at the bottom picture, the mirrors would have been about an inch or two lower pointing up than they are pointing down but they would have been directly in the way when walking past the car. On the top hinge, they are almost at eye level and harder to miss.
Sitting in the car while driving, the mirrors are exactly where your eyes expect them to be.
I'm not some kind of "rocket scientist" who planned all this. I just went to a Harley dealer and bought 2 mirrors. I didn't have any idea they would be the almost the same diameter as the hinge pins. To top things off, my upper hinges didn't have pins in them. That made the choice easier. The car probably had some other kind of mirrors before I bought it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard Koehn on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:17 am:

Dennis: I really like your mirror idea! I have been wanting to get mirrors for a coupe for some time, I'll probably try your idea. Thanks! I'll bet those mirrors were pricey though if you purchased them through Harley!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:57 am:

You know, I really don't remember. They've been on there 4 years. I'll say they were probably at least $30 bucks a piece. I'm not a patient person, I want, what I want, when I want it. No shipping charges or waiting.
In retrospect, I probably should have picked up the round ones. They would have probably been a little more 'original' looking. Like everything 'Harley' (and everything Model T) They have the manufacturer's name stamped into the shafts. What the heck, Harley has been around almost as long as Ford has and at least they don't say "Made In China" on them.
Both my mirrors are the "objects may be closer than they appear" kind but they give you a good view of the road behind you. Got to be careful backing up though, my right rear fender and my car port wall will testify to that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek- Brookshire, Texas on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 11:12 am:

Don't tell the guys at the Harley shop that the mirrors are for a Dr's Coupe or they will probably charge double! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A.Woods on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 12:04 pm:

Dennis, Do you remember a part number or exact application? What part did you have to file?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 01:31 pm:

I've got Harley mirrors, I've got a Doctor's coupe, I cannot seem to get the pins out of the top hinge of the doors! I've tried a punch from the bottom to push it out and I believe all I'm doing is tightenning the pin as it mushrooms in the hinge. The pin seems to be a smaller diameter than the Harley Mirror threads. I really don't want to drill out the hinge, but that may be my option. I don't want to apply heat as it would destroy the paint on the hinge and door. How do I get that &%$# hinge pin out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz Knoxville,TN on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 02:44 pm:

Dr. Noel, i bought a hinge pin removal tool from Snyders it is in the model A section it works great i used it on my 26 and then had to have the hole made larger for the 24 because the crowns are larger.
Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel Denis Chicoine, MD on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 03:12 pm:

thanks, Rick. I'll check it out.
Noel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Brown on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 05:02 pm:

Has anyone ever considered fabricating their own hing pin mirror like the one that the vendors sell? I had really rather have one in black rather than chrome anyhow. It would be real simple to build and I have seen the round mirror (black) for sale separately at various places.

In thinking about it, I think I would need to come up with a longer hinge pin. The original pin on my 25 Tudor mikes out at .275" about .025" larger than 1/4 inch, and 1.830" long. A 7mm bolt mikes at .270" or .005" smaller than the original hinge pin. That should be close enough. Does the mirror that the vendors sell come with a bolt or a pin? It appears that they use a set screw to lock the mirror to the hinge.
I appreciate your thoughts.
Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 07:00 pm:

Terry, I bought my mirrors straight off the (pick a part) 'accessory' shelf. I never even looked at part numbers. As far as the diameter of the hinge pins? I can't say, my car didn't have any pins in the upper hinges, they 'may' have been drilled out?
The modifications to the mirror are simple. There is a shoulder just at the end of the threads where the (chrome) washer goes. All you need to do is reduce the diameter of the shaft (with a file) and move the shoulder to just above the turn and slide the washer down, as pictured.

That makes the shaft area long enough to protrude through the hinge with enough threads to secure the nut on top.

There 'may' be different sized Harley mirrors, I did this whole thing strictly my 'eye ball', I never measured anything. These might be Sportster mirrors for all I know? And the Sportster may have smaller mirror shafts than the full sized Harley.
This was all just a classic case of "Florida Redneck" engineering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 08:44 pm:

Found this mirror at Hershey, fits over the door hinge. I would love to find one for the other side. Probably could be made without to much trouble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George...Cherry Hill, NJ on Sunday, June 05, 2011 - 10:50 pm:

Back in the day when all of the suppliers treated Closed Cars like the plague,and offered near nothing unique for closed cars, I came across my first T buy desire. For what I could afford, I could either get an open car that was a near total redo required even to make it run, or I could get a closed car that ran half decent for the same price. (Those were the days...eh?)

It really, really needed a mirror as the combi of sticks and pedals and looking over my shoulder just didn't do squat for me :-)

None to be found...so I decided to do an upper hinge pin kit of my own. The drawing shows what I did and is pretty much self expanatory. That way, when the day came for me to find a back studded mirror, any back studded mirror, new or flea market, that 'worked' with the look, I'd be home free!

Went thru a few iterations of mirrors yet the basic worked with all...lol...the initial trial was a round Schwinn bike mirror since, ahhh, ummm, guess what was in the garage that day? Found one a little bigger and used that for a few years and then found an even bigger one for the final, final...must have looked good enough, as more often than not, T guys would snap a picture of the mirror & mount more than the car! Look at Dan photo above...same look, black round mirror. It was steady as a rock (unlike that stupid ball swivel clamp to the windshield brass thing on my '15 that can make your eyes water :-) )

The car came apart again about 18 years later and there was no wear on the rod shaft, and since I used all stainless steel parts nothing 'buggered' and it by then had the patina of old nickle!

There are really nice modern made retro look rectangular mirrors, in black powder coat at that in just about any cycle shop...my Hack came with a new set installed, nice era looking ones at that, but they were not rod type...screw on estucheon flange. Find something like them in stud back and good to go with the sketch provided....on the stud back mirrors, I used the double nut trick to the tubing clip to get just the right 'squeeze'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, June 06, 2011 - 09:20 am:

Very similar to the way my Harley mirrors are installed, (with the exception of the cotter pin).
Never thought about bike shop mirrors? Probably a lot cheaper than Harley mirrors but then, I had a bunch of Harleys during my life so it was just the first place I thought of going.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, June 06, 2011 - 12:17 pm:

Rick, I had the same issue with one of those I bought from Chaffins a few years ago. When I called to see if they sent me the correct one, Dave said they were actually MFG'd for the Model A hinge and does require some filing to fit the T hinge. I was able to use a flat file on the mirror to make it fit. John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, June 06, 2011 - 12:45 pm:

I used a pair of Harley mirrors on my Centerdoor. Not sure what model they are for: I just walked through the showroom floor until I found a set the had the best fit. I'm very happy with them.
Harley mirror

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 12:33 am:

There you go. I never even gave a thought to drilling through the doors and putting them exactly where you want them?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money, Braidwood, IL on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 01:13 am:

Here is what our Fordor mirrors look like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale L Myers-Greenville Pa. on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 08:20 pm:

Here is one that fits on the leading edge of the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 09:12 pm:

Yup. I remember those.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration