Wooden Pick-up Bed Plans & Hardware brochure?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Wooden Pick-up Bed Plans & Hardware brochure?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mr. Steve on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:02 am:

Guy's,

Does anyone have a copy of the Cleveland Hardware Co.- Ford Slip-On Body Irons brochure that Lang's used to sell- part number FB2? I wanted to order one but they said it is no longer being printed.

If someone has one they would part with, know where there is one for sale, or would be willing to make a quality copy of theirs for me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern Ca. on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 12:37 am:

Howdy Steve, Here's a link to it on my photo bucket space.

http://s290.photobucket.com/albums/ll242/fordmodelt/woodbedplans/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Van Wy on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 08:23 pm:

Steve-Found the plans FB2, Let me know if you still need them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman, Hays KS on Thursday, July 07, 2011 - 11:14 pm:

Langs has a reprint. A lot easier to read and cheap!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Friday, July 08, 2011 - 11:09 am:

Here is a scan of pick-up bed for the runabout body suggested in Ford Owner magazine, should print out to larger size to view.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 04:32 pm:

I too wanted a set of these plans. I finally found an original brochure but it was pretty tough and was missing the full size pattern for the front side edge of the bed as was mentioned in the brochure. I cleaned up the artworks but completely regenerated the drawing portion on the back side so that it is crystal clear. I then made up the missing full size side pattern and printed the whole thing on nice heavy 60 lb bond. Some work but the brochure is now available again.

Pick-Up Body Plans

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E.(Bob) Blackbourn. Gautier, MS. on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:10 pm:

Is anyone making the hardware for this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joncrane on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:32 pm:

Bob
I followed the plans and made a pickup box into a little T pull behind trailer. Only change I made was I used a piece of 3/4" Oak plywood for the bottom. I haul an old hit - miss engine behind my T. The hardware was all fabricated out of 1/8 x 1" cr steel. Went together nicely. The tailgate hooks were purchased from Lang's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

Robert:

If there is enough interest, I may do that. Send me an email or PM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Billy Key in NM on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:53 pm:

Several years ago I stopped in at Wolf Wagon Works, located North of Tatum NM and met the proprieter, John Wolf. Mr. Wolf then was approaching 90 and as far as I know, is still in the chuck wagon building / restoration business.

It was an interesting visit and he had a brand new chuck wagon almost finished. He told me he got interested in chuck wagons back in the 30s when he was a chuck wagon cook here in the SW.

Since we have Grandfather's Studebaker wagon that needs restoring and I plan on building a new bed for the pickup, I asked him a few questions about the type of wood used in the "wagon bed" and dimensions. He quickly informed me that it was a "box" and only ashe was used.

He stated that some town smiths built complete wagons on custom order and most people that wanted a "box" on their automobile simply took them to the local blacksmith and he built and installed it.

So, I have to wonder, ....some then called it a "box", evidently those in the automotive industry called it a "body" and today we mostly call it a "bed". I wonder what evolved the terminology?

Billy Key

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 06:46 pm:

Billy,

Here is the Southeast you will find most farm wago boxes (40 bushel boxes) were made of sasafras. Reason is not the nice smell when you work it, but rather that it saws wide without splitting. Most of the 40 bushel grain boxes like I have on my granfather's wagon have sasafras on the sides. I think the floor was usually heart pine but I cannot attest to that.

Cool that you have a Studebaker wagon. At least one of the Bud hitches pulls a Studebaker - maybe all three do but I am certain the central hitch out of St. Louis does. Far fancier than my old farm wagon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 08:39 pm:

A good friend has just completed a truck and bed,he is a wood worker and was looking for some thing different to do, I talked him in to it knowing I want a panel truck built. If of interest for pictures call him, Walter 419-618-8981, he is talking 1500 for complete truck and bed, made of red oak and white oak.
Joe

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:28 am:

There was a thread on the irons a year or two ago. I had pictures of my really cool forged box braces, etc. Several other guys showed pictures of what they had built or the box irons. I have several sets of irons salvaged from farm wagons -- don't really want to sell them but I could post some pictures. I have a set saved back for my little pickup project if I ever get started on it. I'd post pictures now but those pics are part of what I lost in my computer crash a couple weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert E.(Bob) Blackbourn. Gautier, MS. on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 10:46 am:

Here's a thread from 2009
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/80257/111412.html?1256307460

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration