Peter Kable's Kampkar on the way south

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Peter Kable's Kampkar on the way south
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Monday, July 25, 2011 - 09:16 pm:

Peter and Sally stayed with Floyd Voie near Chehalis, Washington and are now heading to the coast and planning on 101 to LA.

I was happy to meet them an look over theer cool camper.

Couple pics here and more at:
http://www.pbase.com/jimthode/1915kampkar

Previous thread/background at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/217276.html?1309226067

And from 2008:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/59044.html?1215002414
And:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/50893/59161.html?1215617731

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 09:55 am:

Thanks for posting Jim. Great photos. What an adventure Peter and Sally are haveing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay-In Northern California on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:31 am:

Nice set of photos! So how does the split brake pedal work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 12:44 pm:

Jay,
The split brake is set up so that the right half only controls the brake band in the transmission and the left half only controls the rocky mtn. brakes. In actual practice Peter is able to use the left half for the rocky Mtn brakes without pushing on the right half and that is what he uses most all the time. The rocky mtn brakes provide are much better braking and are easier to repair and maintain then the transmission brake. He has brake lights and the control switch is only connected to the rocky mtn brake linkage.

Except for a little difference in the linkage and the fact that the rear brake drums are cast iron the parking brake is the standard setup. Peter added an elongated slot in the parking brake linkage so that the parking brake rods do not start to pull till the parking brake handle is vertical. You can see it at the thread linked below.

You can see another photo under the floor boards at:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/217276.html?1309226067

Peter fabricated the brake pedals by modifying a couple of standard brake pedals.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT WARREN TREVAN on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 01:45 pm:

HI PETER ,
CAMPER LOOKS GREAT AND WOW!! IT,S RIGHT HAND DRIVE .

CAN I PUT YOU DOWN FOR A RHD FLOOR MAT SALE .

NO TROUBLE FOR 12 MTHS CREDIT. YOU WILL PROBABLE NEED SAME AFTER THIS EXERCISE.

REGARDS ---BOB TREVAN----NOW BACK IN AUSTRALIA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Martin on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:02 pm:

Just wondering, has anybody ever logged how far they have driven their T?
Peter and Sally must be up there with the most travelled.
Now on the way home, how long before they plot their next adventure...........you may as well drive it over here for lunch when you get back, but that will only add twenty miles!
Chris M.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:07 pm:

Hi Peter and Sally, Plan a side trip to Templeton,CA if you can... Lunch or dinner at McPhees is on me. Maybe Bill from Adelaida (CA) will bring out his '14 or Mr. Tobey will drive his '09 to town. You can stay at our ranch as long as you would like! -John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary, Alberta on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 08:14 pm:

Peter, I tried to reply to your email, but it got sent back because your mailbox is full.

I have manually activated your account P_kable.

You should be good to go now.

Happy travels

Chris

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 11:30 pm:

Chris, Thanks just tried it in another post its working!!!! I'm afraid our web mail is a bit suss it's been doing all kinds of things to annoy me.

Well we are in Seaside, Oregon today heading down on hwy 101.

Being in Alaska when the forum got hacked I didn't pick up on the problem but now that we are back in civilization again and there are some McDonalds on the road and I'm registered again I can fill anyone in who wants to be.

First Kamper is going great on its Anderson timer and Ron's coils. biggest problem has been the bad roads we occasionally get onto and lousy tubes ( leaking valve stems - 3 so far). Both side panels on the radiator are loose. Worse road hwy 2 in Iowa. The road is concrete and the T was constantly being bounced every slab on the road.

So far we have clocked up about 4500 miles this trip from Centerville IN. Been really lucky with the weather nearly all cloudy and cool.

Must thanks our great hosts in Seattle Mike and Donna McGinnis who offered us accomodation and storage of the Kamper while we went to Alaska and took us away for a trip to Levinworth WA. They also delivered us and picked us up from the ship we took to Alaska as well as lots of other things. I'm sure Andrew and Kate didn't get such a welcome from the Canadians as we got from the McGinnis's and we left some oil on their drive!!!

We also found ourselves a few miles up the 5 freeway from Floyd and Jan Voie ( boy, T people are great hosts)and were able to drop in on them, and yes we took the freeway, three lanes smooth as silk surface little traffic wish all the roads were that good.

John, looks like we will be near you as we go south, send us your phone number and if it's possible we would like to make contact. Same goes for anyone else.

We certainly can't sneak past anyone, it's amazing how many people have seen us in different places. Near Poulsbo WA a guy pulled up along side of us and said he saw us in Pincher Creek and Gator Gould from Alabama saw us on the freeway in Montana.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 02:55 am:

Peter, you are lucky, highway 2 used to be just like that from the MO. River to Lincoln NE. too. They rebuilt it several years ago. Good luck on the remainder of your trip. Dave

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration