OT Model T Shriner go karts

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT Model T Shriner go karts
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 04:21 pm:

I looked at a Model T go kart yesterday that was for sale. Did they all have plastic fenders and running boards? I was expecting metal like my coin operated Model T. I will get some pictures posted later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 07:20 pm:

The newer ones have plastic fenders. The older ones have steel flat fenders. They are great either way. They still make variations of them.You can also try Sharp Mini Cars
800-310-2590 for parts.

http://www.gokartworks.com/antique_go_karts.htm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 07:40 pm:

I have a fire engine one for sale, has bell on the front, windshield surround, metal bed over the motor lifts up out of the way to work on it, I have 4 new tires, 2 different pr, plastic wheels have not had running 1200.00 pick up here danuser88@socket.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 08:27 pm:

On the early Hagstrom made versions, the wheels were wooden spoked, fenders were steel. I don't recall any plastic on it anywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donald Hagstrom on Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

Ours has plastic fenders, our club has an absolute blast with it in parades. The older folks like the Model T's but the little kids just love the mini-Model T with 'TIGGER' driving it in and around our cars in the parade. Tigger also throws the candy for the club.
Tigger just has to make sure he don't run over his tail!

The kids are yelling 'Tigger, Tiggerrrrr' a block ahead of where we are.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 03:14 am:

Here are some pictures. I think I will hold out for a metal fendered one. mtmttmttt

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:18 am:

I bought one from Sharp Minicars back in '95. The kids had a blast running around the fields with it.

Jim, the one you pictured is actually built a little better than the one I bought. Paid about $2K for mine new so that should give you an idea of what you may end up paying for 2nd hand. Usually, when I see these come up for sale, they're running about $900.00 - $1400.00 used.

Were I you, I would jump on this one. Mine came with die cast spoke wheels and they take the 16" bike tires like on the little kids bikes. The tires on the one you're looking at appear to be preferable to what mine has on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:33 am:

I bought a Sharp MiniCar version new back in '95 for the kids to run around in. They had a blast with it. Paid something like $2 K new. Used usually are going for $800.00 - $1400.00 depending on condition from what I've observed.

The one you pictured has some sturdier features than ours (square tubular bumper rather than flat stock, f'rinstance). Ours has die cast metal wheels that take the little 16" tires used on little kids bikes. The tires on yours look better and more resilient.

My kids played rough with ours and the plastic fenders, etc. held up just fine aside from a few scratches. The weak link in these things is usually the throttle linkage. Tends to break where it hooks to the gas lever. I bought a roll of the proper gauge piano wire and made up replacements to feed through the jacket. An easier fix would be to just get a replacement lawn mower/roto-tiller/snow blower throttle lever & linkage and skip using the "real" throttle on the steering column.

If I were you, I'd jump on this one. They don't come up very often & this one looks pretty good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:34 am:

Dang, didn't look like my first post made it. Guess it did after all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Young on Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 10:57 am:

So this one is inline at $1200.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration