Hand Crank Coil Testor Starter Kit

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Hand Crank Coil Testor Starter Kit
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:08 am:

For those that want to put together a hand crank coil testor

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vintage-Model-T-Ford-Allen-Coil-Tester-/140598644 689?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item20bc550fd1

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 10:56 am:

I have been buying and selling Model T coil hand cranked testers for twenty-five years. I am not disparaging the seller or his auction, but in my opinion this one is worth $200 tops. It is missing irreplaceable meter parts, is missing some smaller parts that could be fabricated and appears to have parts from a different type coil tester adapted. The big problem is a replacement Jewell AC Ammeter. The last original Ford tester meter I bought was $400 and a very nice one. One could adapt a Simpson 3 1/2 inch diameter Model 55 AC panel ammeter. That would work fine, but not look authentic.
I am not saying "don't buy it", just saying "I think you could do better" for $400.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By CharlieB Toms River N.J. on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:14 am:

Say Ron: is this an "official" (Ford/or Ford indorsed)coil tester? I only ask because it's the first one I've seen with the mag covered. Did Ford make their own?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:35 am:

Charlie
The one on eBay is an Allen Electric unit.
Ford made their own for a short time and then gave the plans to Fairbanks Morse. The Ford part number is 18-Z-245 and depicted in the photo below.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 06:42 pm:

Ron's right, the missing meter is pretty much a deal wrecker. You rarely see them for sale and when you do, they're expensive. But, this Allen Electric unit is arguably, the most desirable HCCT to own. I like the top mounted coil box and the "ring-less spark". Both, make operation of the tester more efficient.

The eBay item should look something like this when it's done:

allen

There were other units similar to the Ford version. I believe that the one on the left is a Service Electric unit. The one on the right is a Ford unit, which I believe, still resides in the shop of one of our regular posters from Canada.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 07:34 pm:

Yeah, it's still here Eric and won't budge an inch until I'm 6 feet under.

Mother says she's gonna jam it inside the coffin before they lock it up just to make sure I stay put inside .... I told her she'd better get it silver plated first as I'm not making any promises !!

It ain't even got a speck of dust on it Eric. I've had it now just a bit over 5 years but mother sewed up a nice cover for it the next day and it never sits uncovered except when testing!

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 08:31 pm:

Garnet
Good on ya mate.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 08:44 pm:

Garnet,
I'm very happy that it found a good home. I agree with you and think that they'll bury me a few days after I stop using the Allen unit that I've shown in my first photo. Did I ever show you pictures of yours before I fixed it up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 09:11 pm:

That is the way you want to find a restorable HCCT.
Note the sound meter and broken spark ring which is replaceable. And you can see what Garnet did with it.
He has a tool that will last another 80+ Years.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 09:21 pm:

I just got this one for $100.00 and one day may be able to get it to work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 09:29 pm:

Erick
You did very well.
When you start restoring it let me know and I will help.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erick Keenan on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 09:59 pm:

Ron Thank you and thank you, you sent me some very good info (wire diagram) and web link a week or so ago.
This is how far I am now, still need the gage (ordered a new one replacement) but would like to find the original one. Mine has a M35-10 on the handle and base, the back side axel has a stamped No. 32 on it. The base is diferent - square no cut out and the coil holder has a bar welded on it. Erick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, August 29, 2011 - 11:38 pm:

I got a nice one recently but need the magneto/flywheel parts. Anyone have servicable bits they would sell/trade for my project?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

I have converted a GE ampmeter to a HCCT meter in the past. I am in the process of converting a Westinghouse meter at this time. I will document the process and post the results later.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 08:49 pm:

Bob:

Nice work on the meter face !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa in Poulsbo, WA on Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 09:28 pm:

The face is entirely fictitious. The two patent dates are the month and day of my daughters birthdays. The Model 16 is for my 1916 T and the 6278 is the licence plate number of my original 1916 plate.

Be_Zero_Be

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Scherzer on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 11:13 am:

I used to reproduce the Allen HCCT's in three styles. The one with the brass ring wasn't correct for an Allen since they just used a T brake drum on an economy model.
However, the brass ring model sold better then the correct styles did and I stopped doing the brake drum style all together.

coil tester

coil tester

Because the big jewel meters were a problem to find and no way of substituting other then going to the later style that Allen used that switched to two 3" jewel meters which included a volt meter. It was added so tests could carried out of flywheel magnets and the mag coil to see if they had their proper outputs also. To make this an easy task they added a quick change set for removal of both the mag coil and flywheel. It was more of a bell and whistle thing for the most part since coil testing was its main purpose but still a neat feature to have on one.

coil testercoil tester

In the end I sold more parts to HCCT's then I did in selling complete testers. Especially the two meter set ups with the back mounting plate to replace the original big Jewel meter which uses the same hole spacing.

coil tester

I no longer have meters but still have several parts for the varying styles of HCCT's made back then. Like the brass rings that is somewhat standard in size since it used the same spacing as the mag coil mounting holes. Bob

coil testercoil tester

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration