22-27 Tire Pump

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 22-27 Tire Pump
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe gallagher on Wednesday, August 31, 2011 - 06:22 pm:

Does anyone have ( or know where I might get ) a drawing of the assembly of a 22-27 Model T tire pump -- the placement of the washers- spring- rubber cup etc. -- Thanks -- Joe Gallagher---joeg48@hotmail.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry A. Woods on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 09:24 am:

No, but I've got three that I'm going to have to disassemble to rebuild. I can make notes of the assembly, then.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:22 am:

The 8-5-28 parts book shows this one. Mine obviously needs new leather(s).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:27 am:

Does anyone offer the parts separately? Just a cursory look in one of my catalogs showed a rebuild kit with everything except the base and tube. That's a bunch of stuff to buy when you only need the leather washer and a hose.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:45 am:

Looks to me like ordinary 1/4" rubber hose from the hardware store will work. Our old traditional hardware store sold pump leathers, but I haven't tried the new place. I may end up going to the local boot & saddle shop for that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:53 am:

I wondered about making one, but in another hobby of mine, antique outboard motors, some Johnson carbs have a priming pump that uses leather cup washers. There is one guy who makes them. He says, go ahead and try to make your own. Says it's not as easy as it sounds and he went through many many iterations before finding a workable combination. I just took his word for it and bought them from him. These are pretty small. One for a tire pump might not be as fussy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 02:54 pm:

Clay Atkins ,from Bridgeport,Illinois makes new leather cups for the pumps. They run @$6 apiece . him email is atkns82@shawneelink.net

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 06:59 pm:

I've made the leather cup out of a scrap of shoe leather. Just cut a circle about 1/2" diameter larger then the inside diameter of the tube, oil it up so it is pliable, assemble on the rod and stuff in in the tube. Mine has worked fine for decades.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 07:01 pm:

While you are all on pumps, i recently picked up one that i am not familiar with. It is a couple of inches shorter than the common brass barrel pump, and the cast iron base only has one large ford script. Same T #part number under the base casting. All black with a steel barrel. I can send pictures for posting to someone smart enough to put them on here. thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 07:08 pm:

That's the pump they went to after the single barrel brass one. Hard to find. They carried it over to Model A,and changed the number.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 07:14 pm:

thanks jack ! i knew you would knew ! i'll still send pics for posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 09:11 pm:

I have a ford script pump with a dent in the brass tube. Is there a source for a replacement tube? Does anyone know what the thread pitch is on the tube is? I might be able to make one on a lathe if I knew what the TPI was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eyssen---Abilene, Tx on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 09:14 pm:

Chester: Try a shop that repairs musicial instruments. Some of them can do wonders with brass.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 10:10 pm:

Chester,
You can measure the thread pitch with a gauge. Every good mechanic needs a thread pitch gauge. This is especially true with really old stuff like a Model T because not all pitches are standard.

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/basic-thread-concepts

If you don't have a gauge sometimes you can find a standard bolt or a tap with the same pitch to determine an unknown pitch.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:18 pm:

I think it is a common plumimg thread. Problem is finding new tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Thursday, September 01, 2011 - 11:57 pm:

Probably can find brass tubing at McMaster Carr:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#brass-tubing/=dvqbhv

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 10:57 am:

tire pumptire pumptire pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:40 pm:

tire pump 3 FORD SCRIPT
"BRIDGEPORT" SINGLE BARREL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:41 pm:

tire pump 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim morsher on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

tire pump

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 09:15 pm:

Does anybody know what is correct for a june 24' touring would be?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 10:09 pm:

I recently used a soft piece of soft leather. I flattened out the old leather then found an impact wrench of the right diameter, then just used a sharp knife to cut it out.

As for the hose; just go to a go bicycle shop and pickup the parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 11:30 am:

I rebuilt a late pump recently, and I got the leather from Clay. I'll betcha he gets them from a local farm supply for $1 each! I found a piece of conduit slides down inside the tube just right to straighten out those dents, and costs around $3. Just round one end some so it will slide down into the dent. Use a rawhide mallet to work the dent as you go. The hose is available from Langs. I was able to transfer all the original fittings from the original hose to the new hose. The new hose isn't quite as stiff as the original, but works, and looks right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 02:31 pm:

Here is a bit of historical information about Model T tire pumps:

...In 1921 Indianapolis Air Pump leaped into the national arena when (Frank) Sparks secured a contract to produce tire pumps for Ford Motor Company. That same year the company began experimenting with a tube manufacturing process that led to a company name change in December 1921, when the partnership was incorporated as the Indianapolis Pump and Tube Company. Noblitt was named president, and Sparks was appointed secretary of the new corporation, which established headquarters in Indianapolis.

In the spring of 1922 Ford Motor Company informed Sparks that it was planning to manufacture its own tire pumps, and soon afterward Redmond sold his interest in Indianapolis Pump and Tube to his two partners (Sparks and Norbitt). Arvin sold his stake in Arvin Heater Company to Noblitt and Sparks, and the heater company was consolidated into Indianapolis Pump and Tube. That same year the company secured a contract to provide tire pumps for Chevrolet, and Ford, after a short-lived attempt to manufacture its own tire pumps, returned its business to Indianapolis Pump & Tube....

Source: http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/ArvinMeritor-Inc-Company-Histor y.html

Frank Sparks eventually became president of Wabash College (Crawfordsville, Indiana) and ran unsuccessfully in 1956 as the Republican candidate for governor in Indiana.

Sparks appeared on "This Is Your Life" in 1953. About 8 minutes into the show, reference is made to the tire pump contracts with Ford Motor Co during the Model T era.

neil

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration