Transmission noise

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Transmission noise
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 10:41 am:

How much noise is "normal" in a Model T transmission? I just did some work on my 27 motor and, since my transmission always emitted assorted growls and whines, decided to freshen it up a bit as well. I renewed all the bushings, installed new clutch plates, spacers and spring and replaced a drum with a better one from another transmission. I noticed that there were 4 spacers instead of 3 in the transmission plus an extra clutch disk. All had some discoloration. A broken brake drum had been replaced several years ago. Anyway, I'm back on the road and the transmission still lets me know it's there. Growls in low and reverse and has a harmonic growl at certain speeds in high gear. Is this just the result of using parts from various transmissions or is it normal? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 10:55 am:

In high gear, the tranny is not moving. Well, at least in relation to itself. The whole shooting match is spinning at the same speed as, and as an assembly with, the crankshaft. None of the gears or bushings are turning against one another. Therefore any noise you hear in high is likely coming from your differential.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 12:06 pm:

Hal, Makes sense. The rear end on this car has never been apart. Probably time, after 80+ years, for new thrust bearings and check the gears and bearings. Next project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 12:17 pm:

Dave,

As long as all the gears looked good when you reassembled it, it's probably noisy due to your "various parts" theory and may quiet down over time.

Ditto what Hal said about noise in high.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 12:17 pm:

Dave, I think many here would say you should do that rear end sooner rather than later. It is a safety item as you know and is probably in worse shape than ypu think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wilson, Saint John NB, Canada on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 05:50 pm:

Thanks everyone. Based on the comments, I think I'll live with the transmission noise until it gets better or worse. The rear end is now number 1 on my to do list. I have another rear end that I bought in a trailer load of parts. I think I will rebuild it and then do a swap just to avoid having the car out of commission for a while. My repair jobs always seem to take longer than planned and my grand-daughter wants me to drive her to her graduation next spring. Thanks to everyone for the comments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, September 19, 2011 - 06:29 pm:

Since you have a 27, the emergency brake should be worth its name. Excercise emergency stops with the hand brake & you won't be without brake when the babbit thrust breaks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration