Pic of the perfect mouse trap for a T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Pic of the perfect mouse trap for a T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:57 am:

this is my mouse trap in my shop. it gets ride of the mice problem. no chasing them away with drier sheets, irish spring soap, moth balls, decon etc. if they are alive they still bread and will still over populate and get in the cars. the only sure proof method to keep mice out of our cars and vintage campers is to KILL them. i have used this method for 2 winters now with 100% success. no mice! a 5 gallon bucket with a #12 wire drilled and threaded through a can coated with peanut butter, and 2 inches if anti freeze (no smell from dead mice) in the bottom. be sure to use a small ramp to the top of the bucket, and place it near a wall(mice are wall runners) and bingo, problem solved. use a pair of tongs, (needle nose pliers) to remove the dead mice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:09 am:

Doug Great Idea ! Looks like you have 2-3 critters in the bottom of the bucket... Mice are like snakes to me the only good one's are the dead one's !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:24 am:

Hey, be careful with those snakes! They eat some of the mice before they get into the garage! I never kill a snake if I don't have to. The only reason they come into your shop is to find the mice who got there first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 10:26 am:

Doug, that looks like it would work, but decon pellets do the job and are so much easier to put out and they do get rid of mice and rats.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:16 pm:

So the ramp to the bucket, does it go to the edge where the wire is and the mice get their little umbrellas out and do the tight wire act to the can.... or does the ramp go close to the can?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 12:43 pm:

David, I used a wooden lath just to the lip of the bucket. They used the "Karl Wallenda" method. Mice can jump a fair distance and I wouldn't be surprised if the "Long Jump" method would work just as well. You have to maintain some distance to the can or the little buggers will hop back on the ramp and escape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Luke Dahlinger on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 01:56 pm:

There's a few snakes around the compound here and the recent arrival of a couple feral cats keep the rat/mice population to a minimum.

What the cats & snakes miss, the red tailed hawk gets. I like to let the food chain do all the work for me. It's not as messy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 02:16 pm:

My current cat population is eight, but that will decline as coyotes, owls, and other predators thin the herd. When I'm up to my hips in cats like this, I don't see snakes because the kitties gobble up the mouse supply. When I'm down to a cat or two, the snakes come hunting. When I see a big old black snake in the yard, I'm glad to have another mouse eater on the job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 03:54 pm:

I don't trust any thing with out ears, and snakes can't be trusted to tell the truth about Apples. Good Job Doug, you devious little Devil you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 11:41 pm:

I don't mind snakes, except the type with rattles on the ends of their tails. I've got mice in my storage shed, and found 2 rattlers in there this summer, one 29", one 38". The 29 incher had all but one rattle broken off. I have a high frequency hearing loss and can't hear the devils. Darn near had to clean my shorts when I bent down to open up the garage door and one was coiled less than 3 feet away. I'd rather have mice! I use the device at the start of this thread and emptied about 15 well preserved mice out of my camper last winter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dolores Edinburg,Tex on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:14 pm:

We've gone with cats in our shop and they do keep the mouse population down, but whatever you do, don't leave a car window down. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 08:32 pm:

I have used Doug's approach many times with great success, but without the bait. Just a nice ramp to a half filled bucket o water. Water seems to be as attractive as bait to Minnie and Mickey!

Now we have cats 'o' plenty who have also solved my gopher problem in the garden. But as Dolo says keep the cats out of the cars...especially during their "season".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 10:36 pm:

Our mouse trap on the farm for years was a bucket with four or five inches of water in it, a handful of grain will float on the top of it. Board leaning up against the bucket. Mice jump in to get the grain, the story from there is too sad to tell if you like mice but other than that it works pretty well. By the time the grain is soaked up and starts sinking the mice need to be dumped out anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Monday, October 24, 2011 - 11:27 pm:

Get a Weasle! I heat my house with a pellet/corn stove. The first year I bought 5 tons of dried shell corn. With out going in the workings of the stove, we were over-run with very hungry mice, chipmunks and red squirrls. At the end of the heating season I found that not only had they gotten into the corn, but almost every 50# bag!!! What a mess! I found body burried in corn where they either eat them selves to death or or the corn collapsed oon top of them. There were also many nests with little mouse corpses all over. The next year we got cherry pits to burn. The same problem. I still find piles of pits stashed all over the front garage to this day!
We went back to burning nothing but hardwood pellets and still found too many mice, chipmonks and squirrls around. One day my UPS driver was delivering some T parts and told me I had a weasle in the gerage. I mentioned that I would get a trap(Hav-a-heart. I like weasles) and he told me not to. He said they will eat all my rodent problems and not be distructive in the garage.
WEll, no more rodents in the garage and not to many around the yard for that matter. I hope Mr Weasle coms back for this winter!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael K Mullis on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 01:45 am:

Willie
Decon does indeed do its job. Problem is, mice/rats tend to go and die in very hard to reach places, then you must contend with the smell (not too bad for a small mouse).
I used to live in a mobile home and happened to see a mouse one evening. No problem, put out some Decon under the kitchen sink and underneath the mobile home. No more mouse! About a week later the smell was unbearable and green flies had taken over. The smell seemed to be coming from under the floor in the kitchen. I had to cut the insulation out from underneath in order to rid myself of what I thought was a mouse. It turns out that the poison that I had put under the trailer provided the last meal for a 5 pound opossum. Mrs. Possum got into the insulation underneath the floor and died. I'm not weak stomached at all but that day it was vomit city. That was my last purchase of Decon.
Next time I'll use the peanut butter on the can. Round and round and then they drown.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 08:30 am:

i have to agree with michael, that decon just lets them die where i can smell them in a place i can't find them, and that smell makes me sick. plus the fact that mice bread all the time, and have babies with their babies. if you don't kill them all and keep the traps out all the time, (yes i keep my traps set in the summer too) you can get infested in a very short time.here in upstate NY we don't get a lot of snakes that eat the mice. the mice bread faster than a few snakes can keep up with. i also do see mink and weaseals around but they too can't keep up with the mice as i still catch the mice, but let the snakes, mink, weaseals all live.
a side note; i catch chipmonks, red and gray squrrils in my have a heart traps and then drown them. i find if i let them run free and infest the shop, they get into everything. so i also have to keep the have a heart traps set all the time too. i have been keeping the rodants at bay by doing this all year. PS; chipmonks, red and gray squrrils are nothing more than a rat or mouse just that they have fur on their tail!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 10:10 am:

We call them "Adirondack Rats"!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 07:40 pm:

Well I installed three of these this evening. One in my honey room at the barn where I sling honey and cut deer up. Tired of having to spend all the extra time sterilizing the place everytime I use it. One in the shop to protect the T. One in the smoke house. The smoke house is home to what may well be a 100 year old line of super rats (or as we call them here, "BFRs").

I did my best to build these traps in a T authentic manner but was forced to deviate in a couple of places as follows:

1. The buckets are plastic, not galvanized as they would have been back in the day. I couldn't find a tall galvenized bucket.

2. I used aluminum instead of tin cans. Mine were made for Dr Pepper, not sure if Egge had anything to do with them.

I did however pull out some of the 1926 "EE" coat hangers that I had. As we all know "EE" hangers better handle the loads associated with a system that is less than optimally balanced.

On that note - how does one balance peanut butter on a can? And how accurately does it need to be balanced? What sort of RPMs are we talking about here?

Finally - I hope this works. My wife is now convinced I am nuts. Don't get me wrong, I knew she'd figure that out in time but this may put her a ahead of predicted schedule if it doesn't work.

Will report results tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl schlachter on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 - 10:52 pm:

Steve, Now thats funny, LOL put some modified bitumen roofing tar on the can first to balance things out, then the peanut butter, smooth out evenly and it's balanced. then all you is mouse

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:12 pm:

Day 1 - zero mice. 0 rats.

Started to check coils but realized this is the non-coil approach. Will plasti-gauge the can/wire interface tomorrow....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 03:31 pm:

I've heard of a BFH, but never a BFR. THAT'S funny right there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Thursday, October 27, 2011 - 08:34 pm:

I'd get a weasle but I'm kinda adverse to them. I had a great uncle that was killed by one. He was kinda death and one day he was walking down the railroad track and didn't hear the "weasle."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 11:00 am:

Well I promised an update and here it is. Took a few weeks but the traps (at least one of them) is working now. Dr. Pepper cans seems to work well but one must be careful not not get the approach board too close lest the little rascals clean off the peanut butter without taking the plunge.

it works!

My question to Doug is...has the world beat a path to your door yet?

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Langevin , Grants Pass , Ore on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 03:35 am:

Steve in Tennessee : Clearly , you need a water pump on your "T" mouser , or the natural critter dis-assembly process will plug up the water jacket , thus preventing normal coolant circulation from occurring .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 08:37 am:

steve, why do you ask?? i have had to pick out the accumalation of mice several times so far this winter. if you use a good quality marinate, you could pick them out and throw them right onto the grill and cook them up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Melisa Alam on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 09:24 am:

Wouldn't a cat be a simpler solution?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:01 pm:

Melisa, I have had cats that were almost useless in controlling mice.
I still go with the decon. I am in a rural area and I do not have an attached garage. I have work shops and storage sheds. I just make the rounds every month or so and put out more decon, it works and only rarely do I get an odor problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 12:52 pm:

Doug,

meant to talk to you about that. The antifreeze is ruining the hides. They are so stretchy that they wont fit the normal mouse sized skinning board and they are still too small for the BFR skinning board.

Steve

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 06:07 pm:

So what method of positioning the ramp works best, ramp leading up to the wire or 90 degrees off (jumping mouse method) ????

No mice here in Florida but we have a cottage in Canada thats OVERRUN with the little buggers. Tried the decon thing but sometimes they bleed out when they die leaving a horrible mess on the floor.

Cheers
schuh

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 08:04 pm:

Just like politicians, cats don't work at all if you feed them!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 10:13 pm:

I have a dog that will eat ANYTHING. So I cannot use the decon or the antifreeze methods. Last winter by accident I found that if I have a little bit of bird food in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket. They crawl, climb, jump in and die.

Here in warm and tropical Minnesota they donít stink when they die. At least in the deattached (sp?) garage during or warm winter months.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration