OT: Gee, it's not brain surgery... Oh, wait!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT: Gee, it's not brain surgery... Oh, wait!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 07:37 pm:

Many of you know that Anja had surgery in October 2008 to remove a glioblastoma multiforme from her brain. She has been doing well for three years. Regular MRI's have shown no change. An MRI last week showed a small nodule that has appeared adjacent to the resection cavity. Her neurosurgeon and oncologist have decided, since she looks well and is in good shape, to treat it aggressively. (I am in favor of that...). She will have another surgery on Tuesday the 22nd. I would like to ask for prayers, good wishes, good vibes or whatever you wish to send to her.

My favorite saying remains, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans for the next five years."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 07:47 pm:

Dick -- Here's wishing all the best for Anja. I'll be sending prayers, good wishes, and good vibes her way. Good luck to you both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 07:53 pm:

Dick, What Mike said. It sounds like you folks have a positive attitude about the situation. Wishing Anga the best.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Halpin on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

Me too. May all go well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:16 pm:

I also will add her to my prayer list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:22 pm:

Dick,

Anja, you, and the doctors will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:23 pm:

As all above have said. Best of luck. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John P. Steele on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:35 pm:

Dick,
My thoughts and prayer will be for both of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Bishop-San Diego, CA on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:37 pm:

Dick,
Research has shown that positive thinking has a lot to do with healing and recovery (I always reminded my patients of that). You both sound like you have plenty of that! Hopefully it won't be long before you have Anja out mowing the lawn and painting the fences like Frank Harris has planned for Mary! :-)
All of our best wishes are with you and Anja.

Bob and Marilyn Bishop

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:53 pm:

I would settle for someone to hold a flashlight for me when I work on the T at night! Good wishes for Anja. She is on our prayer list.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 08:55 pm:

Wishing you and Anja the best.

Just remember, Intensive Care isn't that funny room with all the plumbing; it's family staying in the patient's room around the clock. Not only can you be their spokesperson, but the staff becomes aware there is someone who cares.

Ronna would have bled to death 40 years ago if I hadn't been dozing in her hospital room and opened my eyes to see a huge puddle of blood under her bed. She was unconcious, and the IV had pulled out.

rdr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 10:33 pm:

Our prayer list too Dick,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By karl schlachter on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 10:49 pm:

Prayers from here too Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Nicholson on Monday, November 14, 2011 - 11:08 pm:

Prayers from our Family to yours. Remember in times of need, there is terrific support on this forum!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:00 am:

From me too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan Mason on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:08 am:

Prayers that the Great Physician holds Anja and her doctors in His hands and guides their hands. Also that He will hold you and grant you His peace during and after the operation.

You, all will be on our prayer list.

Evan in Paso

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Button III (Chip) on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:35 am:

Thoughts and prayers for both of you.
Chip Button

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:19 am:

Our prayers and best wishes for Anja and you as well, Dick. Karen and Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:57 am:

Sally and I send our best wishes and prayers also Dick,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:23 am:

Best whishes - even from Denmark :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:41 am:

Anja ,Dick en de kinderen ; Wij wensen jullie veel sterkte in de komende tijd .
Toon en Ditty Boer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:45 am:

My prayers and thoughts are also with you. I also believe that attitude is the most important aspect of recovery. Take care of you, and her.
W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Weir on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 05:15 am:

Anja, Dick I pray for the both of you and the medical team. Take a deep breath and put one foot in front of the other.

Your friend

Jim Weir

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 06:28 am:

Dick,
My prayers with you both.

Tom Miller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:16 am:

Anja & Dick,
My thoughts and prayers with you both for a very speedy and best outcome.
Verne

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little, South Paris, Maine on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 08:16 am:

Our thoughts and prayers also,
Mary & Charlie Little

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 08:51 am:

While conventional cancer treatments are necessary, a positive attitude, love of life and sense of humor can go a long way to help heal one's self.

A famous author named Norman Cousins was diagnosed with cancer, given a short time to live and was sent home to die. Not one to lie around waiting for death, he began experimenting with laugh therapy. He would constantly watch Laurel and Hardy movies and any other movies that would make him laugh as well as take a regimen of vitamins. He eventually beat his illness and lived a long productive life, writing a book about his experience, "Anatomy of an Illness". If interested, you can do a search on "Laughter Therapy, Norman Cousins" and research it for yourself.

It is natural for one to become depressed after being diagnosed with a serious, potentially fatal illness, which might actually accellerate the disease, but if the patient can pull themselves out of the pit of despair and adopt an optimistic outlook, a positive attitude and try to do the things that make them happy and fullfilled (like frequent drives in the Model T), it is possible to halt the disease and actually reverse it into remission

There is truth to the saying, "Laughter is the best medicine". Good fortunes to you and Anja, Dick. Our prayers are with you and your family. Sincerely, Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 09:08 am:

While Evan said it much more elequently than I am capable, please know that my prayers are with you and Anja.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kees Steeman on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 10:36 am:

Best wishes from Limmen, all the very best, kees.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez - Templeton, CA on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:52 am:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery from all our family. Please know that our prayers are with Anja and you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bartlett on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:12 pm:

My good wishes to your wife for a full recovery.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Kociemba-Estacada, Oregon on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 12:59 pm:

Dick, Our Thoughts and prayers are with you, Anja and your family.
Dave & Ruth Kociemba

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Deering on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 02:36 pm:

Dick:
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Bill Deering

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Harrison,Norco Ca on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:06 pm:

Best wishes to both of you.You are in our prayers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 03:15 pm:

Good Luck and well wishes to both!
Praying for a speedy recovery for your wife

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 05:41 pm:

Thanks to each and every one of you for your prayers, good wishes, good vibes and kind words. This time is not nearly so nerve-wracking as last time, since we know what to expect (more or less). Also, the first tumor had become large enough that it had begun to produce symptoms, which was the first sign it was there. This time, it was caught on a routine check-up MRI at 3-month intervals. That means it's smaller. It's still a serious business, but we remain fairly confident.

We do not underestimate the value of humor. In a way, that's how this family deals with stuff. When Anja was in the prep room for her last surgery, our daughter, our two sons, a daughter-in-law and I were in there until Anja was taken to the OR. A nurse came in to do whatever it is they do, and I could see by the look on her face at first that she didn't approve of the light-hearted and almost disrespectful way we were were joking with Anja. By the time she left ten minutes later, though, her parting comment was, "There's a lot of love in this room."

Brain tumor patients are kind of a breed apart. There is an entire line of T-shirts available. Anja has one that reads, "I have a brain tumor, what's your excuse?" Another one I like is, "I can't get my neurosurgeon out of my brain."

Anyway, thanks again, and I will update in this thread next week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Danuser on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 07:53 pm:

Good luck Dick and Anja , prayers from the Kingdom Of Callaway MTFCA club in Fulton Mo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 08:50 pm:

Good luck and may God bless you and Anja with a speedy recovery. My prayers are with you both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 08:53 pm:

God Bless Anja and you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska - Denver Colorado on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 09:45 pm:

Dick,

Due to my day job it has been several days since I had time to log onto the forum. Fudge, it was hard to hear this. I have always enjoyed your posts. I will keep you and Anja in my prayers and hope to meet both of you on a T tour some time!

Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Tuesday, November 15, 2011 - 11:30 pm:

DICK, Vonnie and I also have you and Anja on our prayer list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Clipner on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 09:03 pm:

Ju got it man !!!!

George n Birmingham.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 10:26 pm:

Gosh, Hal, I remember when you took that picture. It was only about six months after her first operation and she's wearing the knitted cap she wore until her hair grew back in...

That Canyonlands Tour was great! It was thanks to Russ Furstnow that we could be there - he allowed us to sign in after the deadline because of Anja's situation. She really wanted to do it and enjoyed it immensely! It may well have been the best Model T tour we have ever done....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 03:10 am:

Dick, Russ is planning another great Canyonlands Tour for 2013. See you and Anja there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 03:40 am:

Thanks for the great picture, brings back some fond memories of a really great tour!

Best wishes!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:24 am:

Dick,

I guess today is the day. Just wanted to bring it back to the top to remind everyone. Please know that we are praying for you and Anja.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 07:51 pm:

Everyone's prayers and wishes appear to have helped again. Dr. Yoon said afterwards that the surgery went very well. He removed everything, although he made some frozen sections to find out exactly what it was. I guess we'll hear in a day or so, but whatever it was, it's not there any more.

The second time is easier than the first. Three years ago, we were all scared [bad word]less about what the future held. The whole idea of "brain surgery was already scary, and knowing that the diagnosis was the most aggressive malignant brain tumor there is didn't help.

As I mentioned in another thread on the forum, Anja had wanted to go on the Canyonlands III tour for over a year, but since the tour was seven months after her surgery, we just assumed it wouldn't be possible. Well, not only was it possible (thanks again, Russ, for letting us sign up after the deadline), but we've done other tours and other things and had a lot of fun in the ensuing three years. Looks like we'll keep on doing that for some time to come.

At an appointment earlier this year, I asked her oncologist, "When does she become a success story?" His reply was, "You know the statistics as well as I do. She's already a success story."

If all goes as we hope (and as it did last time), she could be released from the hospital Thursday morning. If so, the family will celebrate Thanksgiving together.

Thanks again to all of you for your prayers, wishes and concern. I can't tell you how much we appreciate it it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:04 pm:

OUTSTANDING Dick!!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:10 pm:

Dick
Thats great news and thank you for keeping us informed.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:13 pm:

I am so glad for you.

Herb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. Portales, New Mexico on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:25 pm:

Dick,

Glad all has gone well. Our prayers are with your family.

My father had brain surgery about ten years ago. We will be celebrating his 80th birthday on Thanksgiving day.

Orlando

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:52 pm:

I wish you and Anja a happy Thanksgiving. I'm so glad that things went well with the surgery.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:00 pm:

FANTASTIC! Happy Thanksgiving. You have much to be thankful for and we for you. Sincerely, Jim and Darlene Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By "Hap" Harold Tucker on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 09:48 pm:

What a Happy Thanksgiving day it will be. We are so glad for both of you and will be praying the recovery is speedy!

God Bless,

Hap 1915 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vince M on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:03 am:

Dick that is absolutely the best news ever!! Patti will be excited to hear! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Vince

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis - SE Georgia on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:06 am:

Great news and answered prayers!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 11:47 am:

Dick, nice to here Anja is doing well and I must say you are looking so sweet on that picture from the Canyon :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:40 pm:

Dick,

Glad to hear of Anja's successful surgery. I will pray for her further recovery and for this to be the last occurance of this trouble. It sounds like your family will have a very special Thanksgiving. May God bless you both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:42 pm:

By the way Dick. It's not "OT". The hobby is more than Model T's alone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick .... Penn Valley, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:29 pm:

Dick,
Great news! All our best for a quick recovery and a wonderful Thanksgiving.
Terry and Terrie Horlick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Goldberg A. - Tenerife, Spain on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:46 pm:

Dick!

Mazel Tov and A Bei Gezunt!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 11:32 pm:

Thank you all for your messages of support.

Jerry, that was for the purists. Brain surgery is not Model T related... :-)

Mario, a groise dank far die wuntsh!

Anja was still in the ICU when I left the hospital at 4:30. They have the order to transfer her to a regular room, but there are (were) no rooms available. She could still come home tomorrow (which we all hope), but we won't know until tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 01:18 am:

Kina gives new meaning to Thanksgiving doesn't it.

What wonderful news for you!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 03:07 pm:

Anja is home! Priority #1 is a nap in her own bed with her head on her own pillow. At 4:00 or so, we will go to daughter and son-in-law's house for Thanksgiving dinner (with a lot to be thankful for!).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 03:16 pm:

Our prayers have been answered lthough Anja probably still has a ways to go. Now it's time for giving thanks!! Have a great Thanksgiving everyone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 04:30 pm:

Dick - I have a feeling that this just might become a very memorable Thanksgiving! We are all very happy for you both and for your whole family,.......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 06:39 pm:

Dick I am sorry I've been off the forum for a while and didn't see this until now. I will add you guys to my prayers of thanks and hope she continues to have additional blessings and positive progress this weekend.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:04 pm:

Now I am more thankful than I was before I read this posting. Thank GOD and what a great Christmas you guys deserve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 12:15 pm:

We did go to daughter and son-in-law's for dinner Thursday, but Anja decided to lie on the sofa and didn't eat much. We're going there this evening to polish off the leftovers, and her appetite is coming back so maybe she'll get some turkey this time.

I took this before dinner (and before sofa) Thursday. The nurses got a kick out of the shirt when she was getting ready to be discharged from the hospital.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Russ Furstnow on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 04:25 pm:

Dick and Anja,

We are so happy to hear of Anja's progress. I'm sure your family had a great holiday. We will keep you both in our prayers. God Bless!

Russ and Kathy Furstnow, and the entire Canyon Country Model T Club

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 03:36 am:

Dick and Anja,
I am so glad to hear of the great news! Get better and better. Then get out some more as there is so much left to enjoy!
And have wonderful holidays with as much of your family as you can for the rest of this year!
Thank you for keeping us informed.
Wayne Sheldon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St. Louis MO on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 10:49 pm:

Update. Anja saw her neurosurgeon yesterday. He said that the biopsy showed that what was removed was tumor. He felt that he had removed as much as he was able to see. She saw her oncologist today, who confirmed the neurosurgeon's view. He said that there was probably residual tumor, although it is not visible. (That's the nature of glioblastomas - there is actually always residual tumor. The trick is to keep it under control.) Because she responded well to chemo three years ago, they are going to do it again. She starts temodar bursts as soon as the medication arrives - five days of pills, 23 days of nothing, and then start over again. It worked very well three years ago, so we will hope it works well again. There is another drug that they may add, but the oncologist wants to think about it.
Anja was kind of down today, but is starting to regain her optimism. She is quite normal (well, as much as she ever was!) and life is going on.
When someone once said to me, "We don't know what the future holds.," my response was, "We know what it holds, we just don't know when it holds it."
Any prayers are still welcome...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome R. Hoffman Hays, KS on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:10 pm:

Dick, tell Anja our payers are with the both of you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Orlando Ortega Jr. Portales, New Mexico on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:15 pm:

Same here Dick,

We'll continue to have Anja in our prayers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration