Here's what you do when your T won't run anymore.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Here's what you do when your T won't run anymore.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L. Vanderburg on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 05:18 pm:

You disconnect the drive shaft (because the motor is stuck) and you turn it into........

A golf cart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VERY-RESTORABLE-1919-FORD-MODEL-T-PICK-UP-TRUCK-N O-RESERVE-/200675868767?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2eb936c05f

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 05:52 pm:

Barf...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 05:58 pm:

That's just plain sad. Good price though, wish I had the money to rescue it.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 06:12 pm:

Looks like it threw a magnet. No driveshaft included?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 06:44 pm:

I think that Model T has a lot of potential to be turned into something closer resembling an original Model T.
Ron the Coilman

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 07:27 pm:

Did you notice those 5 lug front wheels? If there's no big cracks in the block, I didn't see anything that would cost a fortune to remedy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 09:43 pm:

Wow, someone sure went to a lot of trouble to fix and easy problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield, KS on Wednesday, November 16, 2011 - 11:01 pm:

Looks to me like that could be a nice project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 04:04 am:

It is probably worth 4K. I am not sure about much more. Between the rare to find early coupe turtle deck (I know I saw one for sale about a month or two ago), front wheels (they are '25/'27) and drive line resurrection on top of all the normal restoration. It would be easy to get buried in it. Then again, it is a decent looking (after you replace that box with the proper turtle deck), it appears to be a solid beginning to an easy restoration of a very desirable body style T.
I would love to see someone get it and restore it.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Pacoima, CA on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 04:22 am:

The ad says it's a 1919, but I thought the electric starter first came out in 1921. Looking at the fire wall shield, that looks like 21 or 22 style.

You're right though, it'd be a right nice project (fun too!), too bad I'm so poor at the moment.:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 05:57 am:

Electric starter and this style coupe body came in '19 and by 1922 the bare wood around the windows was covered by sheet metal, so this car was likely built sometime in between. The running board brackets are the older forged type - pressed steel brackets were announced in january 1920, but forged ones were used together with the new ones for quite some time. Hard to tell if the front motor mount is the older or newer type, but the perches and wishbone is of the 1919 and later type. The rear axle has the oil filler hole high - that was relocated to a lower position during 1919 according to the encyclopedia so that nails the car down to fit the 1919 description pretty well.
Only thing that doesn't fit is a casting # on the engine that may indicate a 20's block? But engines are often canged out & this one would also need to be pulled - for exchange or repair.

Could become a up to date hybrid vehicle with a generator connected to a working engine :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 11:41 am:

Wow, I would love to have that body. To my way of thinking it would be an easy resoration. I would say the body is some where around 21 because of the doors. BUT!!!What year did the the coupe still have wood on the front door post that was NOT COVERED. My 19 Center Door is metal covered from the windshield down. This car has bare wood clear to the bottom of the door. I have seen coupes with bare wood like this one but I don't remember what year they were.

A367b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 02:53 pm:

Dave.......this is my '20 Coop....... :-)

Door Frame 1

Door Frame 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JIM WILSON, AMORY, MS on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 03:56 pm:

Certainly qualifies as a "green" vehicle. There probably some tax advantage to ownership.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 06:39 pm:

Craig Anderson:

I was trying to point out the bare wood on the outside of the car. I know the sides of the door posts are bare but not on the outside of many Ts. are your 20 coupe door posts bare on the outside? If you look at the picture of the msystery coupe you will see the bare wood reaching clear to the bottom and even some under the door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes-Men Falls, WI on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 11:32 pm:

Engine appears to be in bad shape. Cannot be cranked and big hole in the crankcase if you watch the video.

While watching the video there was a Youtube video next to it with almost the exact same car body. Lots of wood showing under the door. Deja vue? Titled 'Wife starting a Model T' by vinmanr2d2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Boothroyd on Thursday, November 17, 2011 - 11:43 pm:

Dave, I noticed the similarity with the other coupe as well.
I love the early coupes with the suicide doors.
I am only being practical...need a closed T for the cold weather!
Now how to convince the wife?

Regards,

Steve Boothroyd

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 12:00 am:

Oh i see the driveshaft tube is included in the video

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Berch on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 12:33 am:

Craig A, I don't want to hijack this thread but someday it would be very much appreciated, if you would be so kind as to show us your "Precious Metal" collection on a new thread. Many of us like old iron of any type. Great looking L JD in the background.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 01:11 am:

Thanks John.
I'm afraid I'd get booted...... <oh>
For the people here who DO like all kinds of old iron I highly recommend visiting www.smokstak.com/forum/ which is dedicated to ALL types of old iron and where I happen to be the chief mod.......and we even have a Antique Autos and Trucks forum....... :-)
BTW......NICE truck and I see you are in Iowa. I've been to Hart Parr Mecca (Charles City) three times as I have a friend there.

I guess if ONE OT thread was dedicated to member photos of their OTHER OLD toys....... ;)

That JD L was my Dad's first tractor. He sold it to my Mom's cousin who sold it to another acquaintance. After a time a son-in-law took it to Waukesha, WI, but I always knew where it was. I managed to convince the owner to get that tractor back up here and if she ever wanted to sell it I wanted first shot at it.
She DID get it back "home", kept her word and I kept mine...... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 04:45 am:

Craig, as John said, there are a lot of us on here that appreciate many forms of old iron. Don't be bashfull about posting pictures or threads. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel on Friday, December 02, 2011 - 09:40 pm:

well I ended up buying it got it home from north Chicago last night It does have a golf cart electric motor I will start evaluating the original motor next week to see what needs repaired. It has 4 coils so maybe it will be an easy fix I hope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erich Bruckner, Vancouver, WA on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 08:41 am:

Great David. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing a photo or two.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 01:23 pm:

David Kriegel:

It looks to me like you got one fine Car. Keep us informed on how the restoration is going. Hope to see you on a Leaf Peeper or Colorado/Wyoming tour one of these days when you finish it.

My coupe on the way up Trail Ridge, 8 miles up the road from Estes Park.

A905

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Saturday, December 03, 2011 - 02:58 pm:

This one might be an easier project. I was tempted but other things preclude it for now.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/cto/2716089393.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, December 04, 2011 - 01:49 am:

David K,
Congratulations! (?) It would be wonderful for it to be restored back to a real model T!
Thanks for the update.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration