1909-1910 wool rear floor carpet.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1909-1910 wool rear floor carpet.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 08:32 pm:

Carlton Pate sent me a photo of his rear floor mat on his beautiful 1909 Touring. He didn't restore the car however. Does anyone have an original to copy? Brand of wool carpet to use? This "T" part is so rare even Kim Dobbins doesn't have one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Friday, November 18, 2011 - 09:19 pm:

I thought it was just a cocoa mat...love to see pictures and learn more about this. We need a mat for the back of our '11...Dave C.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 09:30 am:

Here is the picture from the Parts and Price book

#3607 Tonneau (touring) carpet $2.50

For that high price in 1909 sure must have been a wool carpet :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 01:26 pm:

Thanks for posting Dan! You are a great "T" guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Chantrell - Adelaide, Australia on Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 05:48 pm:

Thank you Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 01:55 pm:

I wonder if there was a factory drawing with dimensions? Thickness of the wool and stitch of the trim and the fasteners.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 02:38 pm:

Gary

If you want it correct, get the factory drawing.

Send a request form to Benson Ford Research Center, (go to their web page and print out form) send a check, as it costs. The prices are on the form.

http://www.thehenryford.org/research/services/forms.aspx

For that part you must state year (1909-1910) and the factory number, that is different than the part number.

The part number for the Tonneau Carpet is #3607 and the factory number is 1606. For the #3608 Carpet Screw the factory number is 1602.

The prints are delivered in about a month depending on work load at the library, you can't reproduce parts unless you get allowance, but you can request and get ok to share "portion" of dimensional info for research and hobbyist information to check tolerance on parts....that is the way I got copy of blueprint on the triple gear bushing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Sunday, November 20, 2011 - 03:20 pm:

Dan, You are one sharp guy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Hughes, Raymond, NE on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:26 am:

I was hoping someone would post a type of material and a source for it as I believe my 1911 Oakland had some wool carpeting in a couple of places as well. I don't know where to find it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 01:39 am:

The people that would know would be the top notch upholsterers. Who would that be on the east coast? On the west coast I believe a top notch guy would be Nemeneck in Walnut Creek, California. Does anyone know of a top notch person?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 10:59 am:

Lots of wool auto carpet suppliers, just Google.

The British cars and high end cars used wool, Wilton wool., a type of weaving, high plush. Maybe you could use this type wool.

Here is one supplier out of many:

http://www.heritagetrim.com/m_aboutmaterials.htm

Now wool can be got, but anyone know of 'horsehair' or other 'hair carpet' ?

The Autowa touring adv. states "Rubber mat in front, hair carpet in tonneau." So I am after a source of hair carpet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:54 am:

When I made mine for my 1909 touring, I went to a local upholstery shop and got some wool black carpet for a Mercedes. It's short pile, and worked out fine. The T parts books show this carpet used up into 1911. The first time the coco mat shows up in a T parts book is mid 1911. There are no holes is the floor for the carpet screws in my 1910 touring (23805) so I think they were using the coco mat by that time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration