Lapping,scraping, shims, filing caps,plastigage.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: Lapping,scraping, shims, filing caps,plastigage.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Hagen on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:05 am:

Are there any videos out there on what to do for the novice model 't' owner. Maybe some older links.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dexter Doucet on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:11 pm:

Bump. Kind of late maybe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber Spanaway, Wa. on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 08:43 pm:

There's a whole bunch of information on Youtube and Smokestack.com on this subject.
I just spent a few minutes searching and found a lot.
Just search babbit bearing scraping and you'll be busy for a while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Burson on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:57 pm:

Good luck, I'm in the same boat. I can't find a wide file.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep NZ on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:20 pm:

i saw a video on scraping white metal bearings for a lathe on youtube but not engines. There is a valve grinding one i saw but they did not really explain spreading the paste in the valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:27 pm:

Ted: You "draw file" the cap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:54 pm:

It's www.smokstak.com/forum/ ....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Christopher Lang - Brentwood Bay, BC on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 11:14 pm:

A long angle lathe file works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:34 am:

When, at the age of 16, in 1970, I first restored my Model T and I tore my engine down to rebuild it, I found that the top layer of my babbited bearings were all soft, grey and powdery. Back then, there was nobody locally, here in Florida who could babbit my beasrings and even if there were, there is no way I could have afforded it on my $1.65/hr. wage.

So I read up on it in my trusty Model T Service Manual and did what I had to, to make due. Using a long razor blade, I scraped down each bearing until I was down to good, solid, shiny babbit. I then smoothed the surfaces as best I could with fine sandpaper, wrapped around the crank shaft and seated in the block with cap attached, to get the correct curvature. Then, one bearing at a time, I fitted the bearing cap adding shims until the bearing was snug, then I added one shim. When all the bearings were fitted in this fashion, I put on the pulley and with the crank, ran the crankshaft in by hand until the crank turned freely. I must have done something right, because my Model T ran beautifully without knocks, for the next 38 years until my recent rebuild in which I was able to afford to send my block off to Connecticutt to have the babbits professionally re-poured by George King III using the original Ford babbit formula and genuine Ford equipment. I figure the method I used back in 1970 is probably how the average, dirt poor shade tree mechanic would have done it back in the day. Not exactly the most precise method, but sufficient for the very forgiving, Model T engine. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 12:44 pm:

Have you ever heard of common sense?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration