1928 Ford Model U

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 1928 Ford Model U
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:17 am:

I was wondering why the next Ford after the Model T wasn't the Model U. Does anybody know why Mr. Ford decided to go back to the beginning of the alphabet?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 02:33 am:

Don't know if it's true, but the story I was told is that 1928 was the 25th anniversary of the company, and the "new car" was so completely new and different from the "T", that Henry (or Edsel) started over at "A".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 06:30 am:

Ford does have a Model U. It's a 2004 concept car which features a hydrogen powered engine and adaptable interior. The concept was based on a "Model T for the 21st Century."

Others on this forum have pointed out that a competing automaker at the time of the Model T had introduced a Model U. This may have provided further incentive for Ford not to go to the U designation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker -- NW Ark. on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 07:48 am:

I think the 26-7's should have been named Model U's, but Henry loved the T so much he didn't want to call them that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:15 am:

Pure speculation -

I've heard it said or read somewhere that the Model T should have ended with the 1916 production, then the cars from 1917 thru 1925 should have been the Model U, and the 1926-27 should have been called the Model V. However, Ol' Henry didn't want to tinker with the public's image of having a Model T for marketing reasons, so they left the name alone and just changed the cars.

Sounds plausible, but who knows???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 09:17 am:

Nah...Henry was right to revert back to the first letter of the alphabet for the New Ford.

Besides, in 1929 Plymouth had a Model Q, and for 1930 a Model U.

Wouldn't that have been something, a Model U Ford and a Model U Plymouth, which one would "U" have had??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:39 pm:

Bob
When they changed over from the T to the A, the factory was closed for months for the retooling. No Model T parts would be used on the new car.
Everything I've read on the subject states that, because the new car was so different to the previous model, and because it was a completely fresh start for the company, that is why they went back to the start of the alphabet.
John Stokes
New Zealand

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Or on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 06:45 pm:

It's not completely true that there are no parts that were the same in the T and A's. The spider gears in the dif. are the same for both the T and A. The only change made was in 30 or 31 when three oil holes were added to each gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom J. Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 07:55 pm:

The lugnuts were carried over from the 1926 Model T into the 1928 Model A. Eventually they too changed. Aren't the axle keys the same too?

I know that there are a few parts stolen out of my T supplies every time my son works on his Model A so he's making some of the stuff fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 04:59 pm:

The Model A was initally called the New Ford. I'm not sure when they started the Model A stuff, but it must have been early on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 06:01 pm:

Each Model Year was called the new Ford after the Model T. The car was always the Model A.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration