OT - Cutting pyrex tube 'glass'.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: OT - Cutting pyrex tube 'glass'.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 10:21 am:

Howdy guys, My first OT query. I'm needing to cut 1 1/4" off a tube of pyrex 'glass' to be used on the oiler of my '11 Hupp runabout. Can anyone offer any advice?. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 10:26 am:

Take it to the local High school chemistry teacher,borrow his glass tubbing cutters and do it. Take about one minute.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 10:57 am:

See here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#glass-tube-cutters/=f2643c

I needed a similar piece of tube for my Model N Ford oiler. I used clear plastic instead. Easy to cut and won't break later. Has lasted for years already.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 11:39 am:

Hey General, haven't seen you on here for awhile. How's things in Texas???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:06 pm:

Here are a few options for cutting glass tubing. No special tools required.
http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/tutorial_cutting.html

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:34 pm:

Howdy uncle Stan & uncle Jack, . . . and thanks to all for the good ideas. I'm saving up for projects and errands that'll take me into town in about a week so I'll go by the chem teacher's lab and give it a go. Was up in your stomping grounds last week, Stan. . . . Spokane, anyway. . . . Got to visit with some Model T boys who said some mighty fine things about you. I've been fighting the drought and preparing for, performing in and recovering from our annual Wurstfest down here in Texas. First time I've made 'in the low four figures' for playing my bass horn for 7 days. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 12:35 pm:

Jim: Pyrex is a different animal than plain glass tubing. It will shatter as easily as break where scored.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode - Onalaska, WA, USA on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:22 pm:

Probably could buy it cut to length or a google search for "cutting Pyrex tube" will give many ways. Here is one;

Pyrex is nothing special and a small diameter tubes are not hard to cut. Score all the way around using a Dremel cut off disc or a carbide or diamond file. Place it on something so that the scoring is right at the edge and snap off.

After verifying that the edge is even enough,
heat the end until it's red hot with a gas torch and gradually withdraw from the flame to prevent cracking. This process smooths off the razor sharp edge and it is called "flame polishing".

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ricks_-_Surf_City on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:27 pm:

www.Mcmaster.com has glass and plastic tubing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 01:41 pm:

Jim, Thats IT! I have a dremel with thin cut off discs and will follow those instructions. Can't buy it "cut to length" around here. Kinda scared to fire up the oxy-acetylene, tho'. Thanks a whole lot !! george

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By steven como on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 02:19 pm:

Where do you get the pyrex tubing.. we are faced with the same challenge but dont have the tubing yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jack daron-Brownsburg,In. on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 04:05 pm:

Sreven,if all you need is a small piece,go see you High School Cemistry teacher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White, Sheridan, MI on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 - 05:45 pm:

Steven, Google Search "Pyrex Tubing". You'll find several sources.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nicholas J Miller on Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 11:11 am:

George,
I had a glass tube for an accessory gas gauge but it wasn't pyrex. As I took the glass out of the metal housing for restoration, I broke the end of the tube. To get it to work I used a grinding wheel to even it off. I don't know if it would work with pyrex. Let us know how you resolve the issue. I would also like to have an oil gauge as you do.
Nick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick McKay - Mass City, MI on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 04:39 pm:

George,

What OD & length do you need?

I have a few different sizes of glass tubing, as well as a glass tubing cutter.

The price is right, since it is for a deserving car!

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:50 am:

Thanks for the offer Rick. The dremel suggestion was less than satisfactory. I cut around the tube after laying on blue masking tape and inking a line at the 1 1/4" distance. The dremel cutting circle just cut into the pyrex about 50% of the way of a very thick wall and quit. I used the h.s. chem. teacher's cutting tool to finish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren W. Mortensen on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:44 pm:

From what I remember in Chem Class, we just took a 3-corner file and cut a mark on one spot on the tubing. We then held the tubing in both hands with our thumbs near the point we wanted to break, the mark facing away. Snapped the tubing by snapping it in the direction of the mark and flame trimmed over the Bunsen burner.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration