26 Pick-up Project

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2011: 26 Pick-up Project
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Thursday, November 24, 2011 - 07:37 pm:

I finished most of the body work on the driver's side today. Looks like a missed one dent above where the windshield post is mounted.
Before

After

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 09:39 am:

I used to help out in a body shop when I was a kid. The guy there used rattle can primer to "detect" missed dents or other inconsistancies. It's cheap an sands off quick. Keep the faith. You're doing a fine job. I just finished a three year job on my 26. I would advise against cutting corners in the restoration process, especially on the frame and drive train. I did a couple times on mine and I'm having to go back and redo some of my work. At the time, I didn't have the large sums of cash to properly do some of the things with the wheels, rear end, drive shaft and engine that needed to be done to make a tour ready car.It would have meant finishing the project another two years down the road but would have been the right choice to wait and save up to do it right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By keith g barrier on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 11:34 am:

Lookin' good Mike, wish my project was that far along. Keep the pics comeing, KB

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Friday, November 25, 2011 - 09:11 pm:

WOW Chester, your basket case sure turned out nice. Gives me some hope! I worked on it a few hours today..Just about got the passenger side done. Front Fenders, Running Board Shields, Running Boards,and Rear Fenders have been sand blasted and power coated black. Motor has been rebuilt and ready to install. Right now my pick-up is a bucket of parts. Takes up one section of my barn! But I feel confident that I should have it all together by spring! I have an original metal pick-up bed that needs some patch work. I'll get it sand blasted after I get the body on the frame.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 05:47 pm:

Finished about 95% of the body work today, Just need to touch up small dings that I missed..So what do you think...Wife says I'll have it painted by next weekend..NOT
Also pull my Tudor out today and gave it a bath, needs to be all cleaned up for the Christmas Parade on the 3rd.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By arnie johansen on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 07:27 pm:

Mike:

Perhaps you have an early 1926? Can you take a picture of the body standing at the back of the body subframe? This may be the model without the embossing in the rear center panel (the one behind where the seat is). I cannot tell for sure from the above pictures. If so, this confirms what Bruce McCally shows in his book, a center section without embossing.

Another feature of your body is where the "bun panel" ends. Some end like yours and others end more toward the front with a vertical embossing at the end of the panel.

I just wanted to point this out for some folks who are interested in the various styles in the improved roadster body.

Does anyone know for sure if the center panel behind the seats was without embossing for the pick up and with embossing for the roadster with a turtle deck, or if Ford changed from a panel without embossing to one with embossing as some time in production without regards to the vehicle being a pick up or turtle deck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Sunday, November 27, 2011 - 07:42 pm:

Arnie, The back of the seat did not have embossing.
I replaced it with a new "back seat" sheet metal I purchased from Howell Sheetmetal (1926 1927 Roadster Pickup Back Of Front Seat) The original was to rusted out to repair. The Bun Panels were also replaced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:15 pm:

What are those two vertical panels, right and left, in the rear? Looks like you have some serious body work to do to the right panel behind the door....unless the lighting is bad in the photo. Looks like it was heavily sandblasted and distorted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 08:25 pm:

John,
Just bad lighting..Also when I pulled the body out of the barn onto the grassy area, the body was able to flex a little due to the uneven ground. Once back on level ground every thing went back to normal.
The two vertical panels are filler panels, pickup bed butts up to these.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 08:42 pm:

Mike, I live in Lynchburg and I'm a member of the Lynchburg chapter AACA. I'd like to see your T's close up some time. I wish my body work had turned out as nice as yours. Keep up the good work. By the way, I used to go to a engine and tractor show accross the river from James town. Have you been to that one? is it still going on? I think it was in late May or early June. The reason I ask is that they had a good showing of antique cars including some model T's. I was thinking of taking mine down this comming year but forgot exactly where and when it was.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 08:44 pm:

Where did you have your engine rebuilt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 09:51 pm:

Chester,
Are you referring to the Peanut, Pork and Pine Festival in Surry, VA..It will be held on July 21st & 22nd, 2012.
Anytime you're in the area, give me a call. I own an Electrical Contracting Company, Williamsburg Electrical Services, 757-564-9364, would love to show you my T's
I'll have my 26 Tudor in the Williamsburg Christmas Parade on Saturday. Last year I dropped a exhaust valve about 1/2 way thru the parade, but was able to limp to the end. It knocking a hole in the top of #3 piston. The amazing part was that it still ran!! We will see how well my rebuild job holds up this year...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chester Leighton on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:13 pm:

I finally found one of my old show directories and it was the "Chippokes Steam and Gas Engine Show" it is off route 10 on Rt.634 and is an old plantation near Surry. I think the state park system actually owns the grounds. In 2007 it was held June 9&10.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 08:28 pm:

Chester,
Steam and Gas Engine Show
Chippokes Farm and Forestry Museum at Chippokes Plantation State Park will be on 06/03/2012 from 9:00 a.m. To 5:00 p.m.
This is the same location the Peanut, Pork and Pine Festival is held.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 05, 2011 - 09:50 pm:

Painted the 26 T this past weekend...Turned out pretty good , there were a few spots that didn't suit me, so I wet sanded them. Ready for the final paint job this weekend!
Color is "Boss Yellow"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 05:45 pm:

Had l little time today...so I decided to finish painting the "T"
Picture quality is not so good, but paint job turned out great. I took the frame to my powder coater today. Hope to have it back in a week or two.
I think the yellow will look good against the black fenders and running boards..My wife has named our pick-up "Bumble T"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:01 pm:

Mike,

Looking good!

When should I drop off my Tudor body? You can take your time and just give me a call when it's done.

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 10:19 pm:

Craig,
Don't know if my wife would let me start another project!!
I took the windshield frame to the glass shop and took the pick-up bed to the sandblaster today..I'm rolling right along with this project. Who knows, maybe I'll have it all together by spring!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 02:29 am:

Looking good, and quick too! I have gotten about six hours into my current project since July. (Grumble.)
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 07:52 am:

I eager to get the frame back from the power coater so I can start putting it all together. It's just a pile of painted parts now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Mahaffey on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:31 am:

Mike,

Your tudor looks extremely sharp in red. I like it.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson on Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:45 am:

Mike D:

I thought I would drop a couple of pictures of my oldest boy's pickup that he did 40 years ago.

E483zz

A483W

A483V

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 05:41 pm:

Painted a few parts black yesterday and set the gas tank in place today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:07 pm:

Mike, if you don't mind posting it, what did it cost to have the frame powdercoated? I was thinking I should have done that with the current project but haven't ever looked into it.

Thanks,
Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:23 pm:

Craig,
I haven't got the frame back yet, so I can't give you a cost for that service.
But I had the front & rear bumpers, the bumper brackets, coil box and lid, and the hood blocks done for $130.00 That's sandblasted and powdercoated black.
My thoughts are that I couldn't buy all the painting supplies for that price. And everything looks brand new!
The same shop did my 1970 CT-70, sandblasted and powercoated it. I had them powdercoated frame candy apple red and all other parts jet black..That cost me $175.00

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 08:33 pm:

Craig,
The nice thing about powdercoating, is that once it's done, all the rust is gone, and the finish is harder that a painted surface. The powdercoated material, after it is applied, is baked in a large oven to cure material. I once had a problem where fuel was dripping onto the hood block from the fuel shut off. This caused the painted surface to lift off of the metal surface. I had the hood block powdercoated black a few years ago, even with fuel still getting on it, it looks as new as the day it was powdercoated

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Sutton on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 09:03 pm:

Thanks Mike. Let me know when you get it back. There are a couple places locally where I could have one done but without dragging a T frame there to show them I doubt they'd give me a price.

A fellow Honda nut, huh? I think I have a dozen or so of those things floating around here of varying sizes.

Is there a link you can give me to "before" photos of your project, or if not can you post some? It's always neat to see the before stuff too. Sorry if I asked before but I don't remember seeing any. I guess I should update my tudor info while I wait for your reply (much progress we have made).

Craig

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:02 pm:

Craig,
Here's a before picture of my Honda CT70.
I have also restores a 1970 Z50 and a 1972 Z50. But now I'm totally focused on getting my 26 pick-up on the road by spring!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 08:38 pm:

What do you think...Maybe a little duct tape repair for my top!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob McDonald-Federal Way . Wa. on Sunday, December 11, 2011 - 10:21 pm:

Maybe a lot of duck tape repair on the top and it will be like new,well almost.. Great job,it will all come togather by spring.

Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 10:00 pm:

Got the frame back from the powdercoater today!!
It sure looks purdy!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:01 pm:

Installed Windshield Tonight...Ever notice how every part on a "T" has to be custom fitted?? Took some doing but I finally got it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike D, Williamsburg VA on Monday, December 26, 2011 - 09:50 pm:

Spent today working on the passenger side fender.
Almost got it ready for painting!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration